DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 01-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Default Issues with doubles

I've had the DW 4002's for a while and recently decided I'd finally make the commitment to purchase something smoother and more formidable. The reason is that these particular pedals were a chore to play each time (sold them earlier). There are several problems which I have found are endemic to this specific model:

1) They are ridiculously heavy compared to some of the other pedals I've played. Even the other models in the DW line (5000, 7000 and 9000 series) are softer in comparison. But I suppose this is because of their smoother design and bounce.

2) I've sat for ages trying to get my doubles up to speed. The matter of the fact is that because of their heaviness and the amount of effort I have to exert (especially for the slave pedal), I can never get into a smooth groove (mind you, I've always considered myself to have far above average calves, which is testament to all the running I did during tennis camp over the years, plus an additional focus on strength training that area recently). I always tense up shortly thereafter, end up in an unbalanced position because of that and through that never even hit 120. Yes, 16ths at 120 is a near impossible chore for any duration. Here is where I need an objective overview, because I also believe that it is primarily down to the player and his/her technique rather than the equipment. But alas, other more experienced players have experienced similar problems on my DW's, so I feel like it's not my technique alone. Perhaps these pedals have facilitated the development of poor technique, I'm not entirely sure.

3) I've tried a bunch of different muscle groups, nothing seems to work. If I try heel down, it's impossible. My muscles tense up very quickly, unless I go slowly. It's easier heel up, but still the tension arrives very early.

4) I've gone to the store in an attempt to resolve this issue, but I cannot overcome some basic problems: 1) all the drum stores house solely electronics as demo kits. Those rubber pads have notoriously poor bounce (I'm used to a natural kit with a pillow in the drum). I tried a pair of Axis Longboards, but found it impossible with my (lack of) expertise as well as the probably detrimental effect my 4002's had on my technique. 2) I haven't gotten a chance to try some of the other models I'm looking at purchasing (ie. Pearl Eliminator (basic/demon drive), Trick, Iron Cobra Power Glide, etc.) These models never seem to be existent in the store.

Add heavy shoes to the formula, and I'm practically a quadriplegic on the kit.

However, I did get to play around with 5002's for a few minutes. And they were smooth and had a nice feel (albeit were still heavy). But nonetheless, I felt like the balance and bounce-back could have significantly aided me and made the learning process fun rather than an effort that appeared to be futile.

What does the forum suggest I do in terms of technique development and the kick pedal I will buy?

Last edited by Nihilist; 01-01-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Issues with doubles

Any professional level pedal will be fine. I use Eliminators with the blue cam and they are perfect for me. I too owned dw4000's and I agree you are limited as to what you can do with them. However they are a great starter pedals to get you into 2X playing.
The Elim's are great pedals but i would urge you to try all the top pedals and choose what you feel is best for you.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

This might be a stupid question, but did you try messing around with spring tension and different (lighter) beaters?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggo32 View Post
Any professional level pedal will be fine. I use Eliminators with the blue cam and they are perfect for me. I too owned dw4000's and I agree you are limited as to what you can do with them. However they are a great starter pedals to get you into 2X playing.
The Elim's are great pedals but i would urge you to try all the top pedals and choose what you feel is best for you.
Yea, my thoughts echoed. But like I mentioned, I don't have access to those pedals. I'm stuck with my current experiences/the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlit View Post
This might be a stupid question, but did you try messing around with spring tension and different (lighter) beaters?
Not a stupid question. I messed around with the string tension. Didn't help. But it never occurred to me to change the beaters.