DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-31-2010, 01:16 AM
Head Questions with no end...

Default Aquarian

I've been thinking about useing some Aquarian heads. A lot of people say how good they are.Just curious why aren't there a lot more famous drummers playing them? A lot of people have been switching to Evans like Carmine and Vinnie Appice.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Aquarian

I always thought that Aquarian was the best head to put on the bass drum. I don't like them on toms. Perhaps the other drummers were feeling sorta the same way.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:04 AM
Gold Member

I think if Aquarian were in more stores more people would give them a try.

But Remo and Evans have been around for so long and have built such a strong reputation it's pretty hard to go against the grain, especially when you can't walk into a store and grab a head or two from another brand. None of the three stores in my town carry anything other than Evans and Remo.

I think if you're interested in trying Aquarian, just go for it and buy a few heads. It's really the only way you'll ever know for sure if they are what you're looking for.

And if you find a head you really like, it really doesn't matter who else is playing that brand, just that you found something good for yourself.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastdrummagirl View Post
I always thought that Aquarian was the best head to put on the bass drum. I don't like them on toms. Perhaps the other drummers were feeling sorta the same way.
Couldn't agree more! Excellent on a kick, toms I found quite the difference.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:17 AM
Silver Member

From what I've heard you have to know how to dial a drum in with Aquarians.
there not as forgiving that away. But if you can manage to tune them perfectly then they will stay in tune for a long time and of course sound phenomenal.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 AM
Gold Member

Right now I'm actually running the exact opposite. Evans EQ2/EQ1 on my bass drum, and Aquarian Modern Vintage top and bottom on all of my toms.

I'm no master tuner by a long shot, but I got the tom and snare heads dialed in super fast and I've never been as happy with my tom sound as I am now.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:55 AM
Banned

Last year I made the switch from Remo to Aquarian after 32 years with Remo. The heads are wonderful. My prefered type is the Modern Vintage, both thin and medium, depending on the drum. I also like the DeJohnette signature heads.

I've also used Response 2s and Focus X heads. As with all drum heads one needs to find a head that works for the individual drum. The snare side heads are without a doubt the best I have ever seen. Perfectly formed, no crinkles.

As for tuning, in my experience they are the easiest heads I have ever tuned. I can whack one on a drum and tune it in no time at all.

It was not an easy thing for me to change from Remo. I put it off for years even though players I trust had been recommending Aquarian. I am glad I did. I got so excited about them I began taking photos of drum heads just like I do drums.

I have also been recommending them to students. Here's a photo of a student's kit fitted with Aquarian heads.