DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyone View Post
And I'll just add this. Drinking will kill you. It did John, and so many, many others. We do what we do, but we need to remain stabilized. Music in general, and drumming in particular, is best enjoyed in a clear-headed and sober state.

One drink you say. I'm sure John's drinking escalated, he died a mortal in drunkenness. Don't evade the facts. Drinking devours the body, and John was not immortal.

He died a horrible death.
On that note.....I'm off for a beer!!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Destroyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
On that note.....I'm off for a beer!!
Repent, O thee sinner! :) Then drink 2 Bloody Mary's for your hangover...or is it pray two Hail Mary's and swig a shot? I can never remember...
Old 06-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyone View Post
Repent, O thee sinner! :)
Sinner?.....Guilty as charged, sir.

Repent?........NEVER! I tells ya!

:-)
Old 06-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Rebel

Any pictures of those good times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
A story about the man himself :

Many years ago, around 1970 ish, a fellow drummer friend of mine decided to do a marathon drum playing session for charity. There was only him and his helpers. It was set up in a room at Stourbridge Cricket Club ( West Midlands UK ) and was expected to last a few days. He used his kit and borrowed mine as well so as to have plenty of variety.

One of our close friends was Martin Lickert who at the time was chauffeur to Ringo Star. Martin arranged to bring John Bonham to visit us during the event to give support.

He duly came and stayed a couple of hours, firstly talking drums then sat behind our improvised double kit and while my friend just played the ride to keep his marathon going, John treated us to his hands only section of Moby Dick, answered questions and showed us anything we wanted to know.

I stood right behind his right shoulder while he played my kit talking to him as he played. Later we sat and had a pint, just one !

He talked drummer to drummer, a real nice, down to earth man, and I was very privileged that day, although I didnít really know it at the time. All I have left of that kit is a cymbal and somewhere a press cutting of the event.

People knock him sometimes and say he wasnít a nice person. I met him and he was just one of the lads, a genuine guy who was quite willing to come and support us mortals, to play and talk drums.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:01 PM

The local press were there and somewhere I have the news cutting. Will have to search and will also ask the marathon drummer mate if he has anything. Will scan and post it if possible.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:13 PM

I just heard Darlene. Unbelievable.

Anyone have a transcription of the fill at 3:28?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay View Post
I also forgot to mention Cozy Powell. Powell and Bonham were good friends and he was another peer of Bonzo's that he respected as well. And yes Carmine was another peer that he respected, when Vanilla Fudge was the headliner for one Zeppelins first tours Carmine and Bonzo were always trading ideas. And Carmine is responsible for getting Bonham the Ludwig endorsement.
An interesting note, that after Bonham's death Cozy Powell was the only drummer that Zep considered as a replacement, for various reasons, before deciding to not carry on.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsieMan View Post
In my opion one of the greatest drummers of all time, Fool In The Rain, When The Levee Breaks, Poor Tom all great grooves. Moby Dick...out of this world and Good Times Bad Times with all the triplets and his lightning fast foot. And D'yer Maker the very first Zeppelin song i could play. One thing i loved about John Bonham is that all his drums seem to fit in the song. Any other comments on John Bonham

p.s. My first post :)
I think John is simple yet complex. He's got a great GREAT bass foot. and his grooves are amazing. a great example of the "simple yet complex" idea is the amazing Kashmir. Simple yet complex. thats how amazing he is. :)
Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastdrummagirl View Post
I think John is simple yet complex. He's got a great GREAT bass foot. and his grooves are amazing. a great example of the "simple yet complex" idea is the amazing Kashmir. Simple yet complex. thats how amazing he is. :)
and complex listen too "the Crunge" & "Achilles Last Stand" no over the top complex but jammin' none the less.

Bonzolead
Old 11-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Bonham had a really well balanced mix of feel and complexity/technicality. He added in just the right amount of technical stuff to make a groove into something special.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

Old 11-06-2010, 09:48 PM
nhzoso

I know he has a fast right foot but you cannot tell me he is playing single pedal on this part at 3:21 is he??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73dvr...ayer_embedded#!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:34 PM

He was absolutely using a single pedal. Ludwig Speed King in fact. Double pedals were not comercially available until many years after his death.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Rebel

Mr. Bonham was not addict to double bass drum, in fact he only played it once but the rest of the Zeps nerver liked it. As far as twin pedal usage, at that time, era is hard to believe.

Out of the subject: not even Ian Paice used twin pedal at that time. He only played double bass drum for the song "Fireball".
Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 PM

Does anyone know if John used a wood beater, or a felt beater on his Speed King? I only ask because I've heard a few rumors it was wooden, and when I met Jason, he used one wooden beater, and one felt beater on his DW8002 pedals.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
I know he has a fast right foot but you cannot tell me he is playing single pedal on this part at 3:21 is he??

Isn't that even slower than Good Times Bad Times? Why wouldn't he be playing a single pedal?
Can you *really* not play that with a single pedal? Give it a try. Bonham's just fast in the myth in my opinion. I really like his drumming, though.

Fox.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:

Of coarse he's playing with a single pedal. It's tough even for naturals to learn; to give you an idea of how tough, his own son has to use double pedals; he can't even play his dad's music with a single.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdrummer28 View Post
Of coarse he's playing with a single pedal. It's tough even for naturals to learn; to give you an idea of how tough, his own son has to use double pedals; he can't even play his dad's music with a single.
I remit you to my post below. Bonham is a nice drummer; but by NO means fast. Have you heard any drummers in the past...30 years? Jason can easily play what Bonham plays with a single, heck, 90% of professional drummers can. If he says otherwise, or uses a double pedal for single parts (which I doubt), it's probably just to elevate his father's playing.
As I said in my original post, can you *really* not do it? Then it's you who's more special than Bonham in regards to bass drum speed.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
I remit you to my post below. Bonham is a nice drummer; but by NO means fast. Have you heard any drummers in the past...30 years? Jason can easily play what Bonham plays with a single, heck, 90% of professional drummers can. If he says otherwise, or uses a double pedal for single parts (which I doubt), it's probably just to elevate his father's playing.
As I said in my original post, can you *really* not do it? Then it's you who's more special than Bonham.
His foot is fast. And, I highly doubt 90% can do what he did. And as far as Jason, he doesn't use double for single parts, but mainly just in the fills. He only told me from his own mouth he couldn't do everything his dad did with a single. That's why I said that.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdrummer28 View Post
His foot is fast. And, I highly doubt 90% can do what he did. And as far as Jason, he doesn't use double for single parts, but mainly just in the fills. He only told me from his own mouth he couldn't do everything his dad did with a single. That's why I said that.
Mike Mangini

Steve Smith

Jason Bonham

Some YouTube unknown

Just type for a drum cover of that one, pretty much everyone who isn't a beginner gets it right. What does Bonham really play faster than that part in GTBT? Even faster stuff was and is being done constantly.
I think it's actually negative to Bonham's reputation to go on and on about bass drum speed, when he should be taken into account for so many other things.
As for Jason, yeah he's got a video in which he explains his "left hand isn't as strong as his father's was" or something like that. But really, he's a professional, do you honestly believe there's something stopping him from practicing for a couple of months and getting a 5 times stronger hand than Bonham? I am pretty sure, as I said before, that Jason just likes to honor and elevate his father everytime he's talking about him; as I don't see any other explanation to this.
And yeah, I know those guys hardly constitute 90% of all professional drummers, but not all sessionists and so got youtube videos playing relatively fast on the single pedal; doesn't mean they can't (easily) do it.

Fox.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Mike Mangini

Steve Smith

Jason Bonham

Some YouTube unknown

Just type for a drum cover of that one, pretty much everyone who isn't a beginner gets it right. What does Bonham really play faster than that part in GTBT? Even faster stuff was and is being done constantly.
I think it's actually negative to Bonham's reputation to go on and on about bass drum speed, when he should be taken into account for so many other things.
As for Jason, yeah he's got a video in which he explains his "left hand isn't as strong as his father's was" or something like that. But really, he's a professional, do you honestly believe there's something stopping him from practicing for a couple of months and getting a 5 times stronger hand than Bonham? I am pretty sure, as I said before, that Jason just likes to honor and elevate his father everytime he's talking about him; as I don't see any other explanation to this.
And yeah, I know those guys hardly constitute 90% of all professional drummers, but not all sessionists and so got youtube videos playing relatively fast on the single pedal; doesn't mean they can't (easily) do it.

Fox.
John had great speed with his bass, nothing negative could come from it. And yes a lot of other drummers could do it, but he was the one who did it first with a single pedal.

And you're really not getting it, Jason said he can't do everything his dad did on the bass.. He even said "I've tried and tried."

No-one will ever reach John's level entirely.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:19 AM
Gold Member

Comparing drummers again eh? *sigh*
This will never end..
Old 11-27-2010, 02:04 AM
Rebel

Well, if John had or had not a fast right foot. You can ask Jimi Hendrix at his graveyard, who stated to Robert Plant once, that John had a right foot like an Spanish castanets! isn't that fast?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 PM

I've always been a massive fan of John Bonham. I studied the guy for many years trying to work out he played all those great chops and licks!.

I've written and recorded thirty three individual video drum lessons teaching his best beats and fills from nine Led Zeppelin tracks. It's now available for download from my website and if there's one thing I've learned from doing this project was that there is WAY more to the man than meets the ears. A true legend!

Rob
Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

yes that is just one pedal one incredible right foot....that is his famous 32nd beat. Bonham also did great hi-hat work also. Listen too "Poor Tom" off of Coda & you'll know what I mean.

Bonzolead
Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
Well, if John had or had not a fast right foot. You can ask Jimi Hendrix at his graveyard, who stated to Robert Plant once, that John had a right foot like an Spanish castanets! isn't that fast?
Ian i've never heard that before. learn something new everyday.

Bonzolead
Old 12-19-2010, 05:00 AM

after 30 some odd years, I had grown tired of most LZ's stuff, now that I have been ( trying) to learn drums, those songs are brand new again, cause i only listen to the drum parts now, amazing.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:17 AM

Does anyone on here know or is ther a "Bonzo/Paiste" expert on here that knows what brand/model cymbals &sizes he used BEFORE his official signed Paiste agreement in july 71? &if he used different weights in the studio &live?
Ta mates! :)
Ado.
P.S.You all have a beaut/bonza&grouse xmas&new year! :).
Old 12-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
As I said in my original post, can you *really* not do it? Then it's you who's more special than Bonham in regards to bass drum speed.
P-L-E-A-S-E!....how come most of the time when I read one of your posts...you're stirring something up...very few drummers I know have or had a r. foot like bonham's...including his son whom I met many years ago and so stated (hence his use of a dbl. pedal in certain parts)...Bonham is clearly a drumming icon (and should be) and he's certainly one of the most emulated/immitated rock drummers out there!....and certainly FAST!

Last edited by scorch whammin; 12-19-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
P-L-E-A-S-E!....how come most of the time when I read one of your posts...you're stirring something up...very few drummers I know have or had a r. foot like bonham's...including his son whom I met many years ago and so stated (hence his use of a dbl. pedal in certain parts)...Bonham is clearly a drumming icon (and should be) and he's certainly one of the most emulated/immitated rock drummers out there!....and certainly FAST!
Show me footage in which you consider Bonham's playing at his top speed, chances are there are hundreds of links of drummers playing faster. I don't mean to bring Bonham down, as I said, he's a great drummer; it just really ins't about his bass drum speed.
The point behind my posts in this thread was that if you look up to Bonham as a reference for speed, you should look somewhere else; he's cool for his unique groove and sound.

Fox.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:14 PM
TFITTING942

Quote:
Show me footage in which you consider Bonham's playing at his top speed, chances are there are hundreds of links of drummers playing faster. I don't mean to bring Bonham down, as I said, he's a great drummer; it just really ins't about his bass drum speed.
The point behind my posts in this thread was that if you look up to Bonham as a reference for speed, you should look somewhere else; he's cool for his unique groove and sound.

Fox.
OK fox I get it, your better than Bonham ever was.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

For all you non-believers out there................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_oxP...eature=related too bad RP should've said John Bonham drums lol

Bonzolead
Old 12-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Rebel

Here is brother:

From Jimmy Hendrix:

"That drummer of yours has a right foot like a pair of castanets!"
Source: Thunder Of Drums - To Robert Plant after a Led Zeppelin concert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
Ian i've never heard that before. learn something new everyday.

Bonzolead
Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Rebel

From: Jeff Ocheltree (Drum Technician) about John Bonham.

"There was anger and a bitterness that was starting to form in him. In interviews he was never ever asked questions about his playing, about the time signatures or patterns he used. In fact he was never asked any intelligent questions. I used to spend days and nights with him at the Rainbow Bar & I remember him saying to me, "These idiots don't know anything about drums. All they want to know about is the gossip." In fact John listened to Max Roach, Alphonse Mouzon, Elvin Jones, and a lot of fusion and jazz drummers. That's the thing that gets me about John Bonham - everybody thinks he was into big drums and hitting them real hard. Bonham was into swing and playing with technique. I once heard Jimmy Page play a Django Reinhardt tune at a sound check, and John played along."

Source: Thunder Of Drums
Old 12-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
Here is brother:

From Jimmy Hendrix:

"That drummer of yours has a right foot like a pair of castanets!"
Source: Thunder Of Drums - To Robert Plant after a Led Zeppelin concert
this is pitiful Ian I have that book & didn't. realize that statement was in there. I've been reading the Richard Cole's(Zeppelin's tour manager) Led-Zeppelin biography lately very good book all about the debauchery of Zep gotta love it. lol

Bonzolead
Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
Anyone who's been named the greatest anything is going to be called overrated by somebody. Calling John Bonham or Ringo Starr or Neil Peart or whoever overrated is just something people say when they don't have any real argument to make about the person's drumming.

Not sure I'd call him the best drummer ever, but definitely among the best.
PLEASE DO ME A FAVOUR. we all have our favourite drummers, but never again mention ringo" talentless " star in the same breath as john bohnam and neil peart. the man was, and still is, a useless, clueless comedy drum clown. my dog's got more rhythem, groove n feel when he's shagging his bed
Old 01-05-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzodownunder View Post
Does anyone on here know or is ther a "Bonzo/Paiste" expert on here that knows what brand/model cymbals &sizes he used BEFORE his official signed Paiste agreement in july 71? &if he used different weights in the studio &live?
Ta mates! :)
Ado.
P.S.You all have a beaut/bonza&grouse xmas&new year! :).
i may be wrong but i'm pretty sure he used paiste throughout his time with zep. starting with giant beats ( 15" hi's, 18&20 crash and 24" ride ) which he used for the first 4 or 5 albums before switching to the 2002 range, same sizes.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlius View Post
ringo" talentless " star
I know it's this guy's second post here, but shouldn't he be banned or sumthin'?

Fox.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
PLEASE DO ME A FAVOUR. we all have our favourite drummers, but never again mention ringo" talentless " star in the same breath as john bohnam and neil peart. the man was, and still is, a useless, clueless comedy drum clown. my dog's got more rhythem, groove n feel when he's shagging his bed

I don't agree with that, and I'm sure Bonham & Peart would agree that you are just wrong as well.

If you just "don't like what he's done" that's one thing, but the rest is ignorance and bashing hiding behind a computer.

Like it or not, Ringo changed a lot of things, just like Krupa did, like Buddy did, Bonham, Peart, Weckl, Grohl etc.....
The Beatles STILL sell millions of units per year, 40 years after they broke up, and it's not because it sucked.

Grammar, spelling, and punctuation also help you in being taken seriously. Have a fun life.

Regarding Fox's comments, I get what he's saying on his points.

I'm of the sort that doesn't care HOW Bonham technically did something, but WHY he did things.
Once you get the techiniques shown to you, or you figure them out, it's up to the individual to get them down, and consistent, so they can be played at any speed someone wants to do them.

His feel is what's different than anyone elses, but you can argue that ANYONE is different for everyone else.

For ME, it's the feel of what he's played. He did a lot of it "first" too, and he WAS and still is, considered "great" by people. IMO rightly so.

ALL the players back then held him in high regard because he was a monster player. What he did still resonates 30 years after he died, so that's saying something. Keith Moon too.

Carmine did a lot of that stuff before Bonham, and he's the source of at least some of his stuff.
People somehow seem to get pissed when that gets mentioned sometimes. Facts are facts though.
Before YouTube got really going, hardly any of us even knew what his voice sounded like. I didn't.
I really wish there was more interviews and "drum stuff" with Bonham so we knew what he was thinking.

As far as "fast", personally, I couldn't give 2shits. There's people playing now that are faster than Buddy Rich (who was freakin' fast when he wanted), and they play just as well. But, Buddy was a musician and did what drove his band. and made everything sound great too. The "audience" just went "WOW!" over the fast stuff.
But back then, who could do any of that fast stuff? There were a couple, but not as famous.
They weren't on the Carson show...and the Muppets :-).

Some people don't want to hear about drummers being as good as Buddy either, but it's been a long time since he came on the scene and was "better than everyone else".

That's not taking anything away from what Buddy did at all. He WAS "a master" of the instrument. People still love his stuff today (just like Ringo's!). That's what really counts. It makes people happy and moves them in some way.

Phillips, Smith, Mangini....There's tons of guy's that blow people away now, and that's just the evolution of the instrument.
And, IMO it's not a competition, and there's no "this is the end, that's all there is, it's doesn't get better" with drumming anyway.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Well, bonham inspired drummers the world over and will until the end of time.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Man, how did I miss this little pearl of wisdom??

Sometimes it's better to keep ones mouth shut and appear ignorant, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 01-18-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling