DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-20-2010, 08:15 PM

Default Dipped sticks

I like to play dipped sticks, Zildjian 5A/5B dipped seem to be my favourite because I haven't found to many other brands of dipped stick. Do you guys know of any I could keep an eye out for?

Also, how many of you play with rubber dipped/coated sticks? I've noticed that there aren't a lot of people out there that do.
12x10"
14x12"
16x14"
22x18"
Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Dipped sticks

I use the same sticks in a 5b and think they are fabulous.
Skunk
Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 PM

They're all I buy now. I still drop from time to time, but it's definitely less since using these. I also notice that my grip doesn't have to be as tight to still keep hold of the sticks. Cramping in my right hand is reduced when using these, too.

The only thing that gets a little annoying is that, if/when any part of the rubber starts to wear or is torn, that section of the stick starts to irritate my hand and it makes me want to throw the stick away. The rest of the stick could be perfectly usable, but the rough edge of the tear/wear gets to me over time.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi View Post
I like to play dipped sticks, Zildjian 5A/5B dipped seem to be my favourite because I haven't found to many other brands of dipped stick. Do you guys know of any I could keep an eye out for?

Also, how many of you play with rubber dipped/coated sticks? I've noticed that there aren't a lot of people out there that do.
Some of my sticks look like I must have dipped them in chocolate and then got hungry.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:11 PM

Try tennis raquet OVER grips
Old 10-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

i tried dipping my own sticks...........

don't do this.....
Old 10-03-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoLittleDrummerBoy View Post
They're all I buy now. ...... I also notice that my grip doesn't have to be as tight to still keep hold of the sticks. .....
I use stick wrap (which is very close to the dipped feel except you have spiral grooves on which your finger tips can fall into) and the wrap can be replaced when worn out.

I agree with above, you can relax your grip more and increase your speed without exposing yourself to more dropped sticks. I have cut my dropped sticks down to about 1 every 6 to 9 months now.

For just a few bucks on wrap or a set of coated sticks could open up a new world of comfort and speed. Besides >>> if you do not like them, you did not spend much to find out!
Old 10-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Administrator

If you search the site you will find a thread on where I made my own using Plasti-Dip. A product available at hardware stores. Dip the sticks and let them drip and dry over night. Works great. It will outlive the sticks
Old 10-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

I only use the Zildjian dipped sticks during warm weather outdoor gigs when wet hands are a problem.
They work great.
I don't like to use them all of the time.
I like the stick to slide around in my fingers a bit when I play.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

I have tired the DIY plasti dip method but it always seems to rub off before long. Maybe sanding the stick would help the coating adhere better.

I have had great luck with peeling off the rubber ring pad found on some retractable pens that are a bit fatter than standard ink pens. You can roll this ring onto a stick and leave it at the appropriate point. The rubber is soft and grabs well and if the stick breaks, you can roll the rubber ring off and slip it on another stick.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:15 AM

Any time you're having trouble with stick grip (we've all been down that road), try out some grip tape. It can do nothing but help you. Give it a shot.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 AM
Platinum Member

I've tried various types of wraps and dipped sticks but never liked the feel of them.

When I want extra grip on my sticks, I'll use Gorilla Snot. It's basically a pine tar like substance. One little can of it has lasted me a couple years so far.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:31 AM

This is what I use. If you do get a chunk missing it is definately annoying but overall I love them. I use the 7ANVG
Old 11-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I completely swear by the Vic Grip too; my stick of choice is the Vic Firth 5B Wood Tip Vic Grip. After some initial adjustment (ie blisters), they now allow me to really relax my grip and still grip the stick comfortably.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

I'm an all-out Pro Mark fan and I tried their Pro Grip 5A (the guy at the drum shop threw them in for free because it was my birthday!) and they caused a lot of friction and stick burn on my hand. However, after a few weeks of "grinning and bearing it", the coating wasn't as "catchy" and the sticks were grippy AND they didn't cause friction.

I like them a lot. I'd recommend them if you can get past the initial "stick burn" stage (which I'm sure not everyone would experience).

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 11-18-2010, 03:56 PM

I use normal 5A sticks with stick wax. (Mr Zog's Sex Wax! Like the surfers use on their boards, but now made for drumsticks). Just rub a bit on the gripping area before the gig. Works really well IMO.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

I'm constantly trying out new grip methods, because I tend not to drop sticks, but to overgrip sticks. This leads to hand fatigue and I end up clutching the stick like a knife, rather than holding it properly.

I tried the dip sticks, but the pair I tried (Zildjian 5Bs) gave me horrible blisters when the dip separated from the stick and started rubbing back and forth.

I love the Pro-Mark Pro Grips, but they are expensive and hard to find. I didn't have any break-in period like the other poster did, and I never experienced any problems with overgrip or dropping the stick.

I'm trying Ahead grip tape now, and it's decent, but I don't particularly like the bumpy feel on the butts of my sticks.

I just ordered a can of Groove Juice's new spray-on drum gripper. They claim it makes the stick slightly tacky but does not stick to your hands. I'll be a/b comparing that against a new pair of Pro Grip sticks. I'm hoping it does pretty much the same thing, so that I can walk into my local shop and buy 5Bs, instead of sending away to Cascio Interstate every time I need sticks. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo_CR View Post
I use normal 5A sticks with stick wax. (Mr Zog's Sex Wax! Like the surfers use on their boards, but now made for drumsticks). Just rub a bit on the gripping area before the gig. Works really well IMO.
The problem with using that kind of thing is it eventually winds up on your drum heads and cymbals. It's not a biggie as heads are changed and cymbals cleaned, but I use non-adhesive solutions to avoid getting gunk on the kit.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Check this out.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ght=plasti+dip
Old 11-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Gold Member

I've been using the Vic firth Dipped Rock sticks and I enjoy them. Only thing I've noticed is that with this size in particular, the dipped version seems to be noticeably lighter than the standard version. Maybe the ones I got are just from a weird batch though...

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Old 11-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass.of.E.r.a. View Post
I've been using the Vic firth Dipped Rock sticks and I enjoy them. Only thing I've noticed is that with this size in particular, the dipped version seems to be noticeably lighter than the standard version. Maybe the ones I got are just from a weird batch though...
I find the same thing with my 5B Vic Grip sticks. They feel slightly lighter than the normal version, but I think they might just feel lighter because the coating means they're weighted slightly more towards the butt end of the stick.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:28 PM

What's the difference between the purple DIP and the black DIP on the Zildjian sticks? Is it just a color difference or is one softer/harder than the other. I've used both, but can't tell much of a difference.

Kevin
Old 11-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I'm constantly trying out new grip methods, because I tend not to drop sticks, but to overgrip sticks. This leads to hand fatigue and I end up clutching the stick like a knife, rather than holding it properly.

I tried the dip sticks, but the pair I tried (Zildjian 5Bs) gave me horrible blisters when the dip separated from the stick and started rubbing back and forth.

I love the Pro-Mark Pro Grips, but they are expensive and hard to find. I didn't have any break-in period like the other poster did, and I never experienced any problems with overgrip or dropping the stick.

I'm trying Ahead grip tape now, and it's decent, but I don't particularly like the bumpy feel on the butts of my sticks.

I just ordered a can of Groove Juice's new spray-on drum gripper. They claim it makes the stick slightly tacky but does not stick to your hands. I'll be a/b comparing that against a new pair of Pro Grip sticks. I'm hoping it does pretty much the same thing, so that I can walk into my local shop and buy 5Bs, instead of sending away to Cascio Interstate every time I need sticks. I'll keep you guys posted.
I received my can of the Grip Spray and a new pair of Pro-Grip 5Bs on the same day. I sprayed a regular pair of Pro-Mark 5Bs with the spray and played half an hour with each.

The Pro-Grips don't feel sticky or tacky until your hands heat up. Then they get just tacky enough to grip onto. They also don't stick to anything or anyone at all.

The sprayed sticks required at least 45 seconds of drying, according to the can label. To be on the safe side, I gave them three minutes. The spray didn't go on evenly, and I was worried about lumps on the stick, but that proved to be a non-issue. The grip was much stickier than the Pro-Grips, even just handling them for the first time. The spray did not make my hands sticky or come off (I must have let them dry enough). During play, they were sticky enough to hold onto, but not so sticky as to be annoying or distracting. I did notice a faint scent coming from the sticks (couldn't place it, but it was pleasant, not offensive). My wife felt my hands afterwards and could detect no stickiness. The treatment did not affect the sound of the stick or its other attributes at all; rim clicks sounded fine. And if the treatment is too much or done wrong, you simply wipe it off with rubbing alcohol and go again.

I like Pro-Grips very much, but they are increasingly hard to find, especially in nylon tip (my preference). However, with the Groove Juice spray I can walk into any music store, buy a pair of 5Bs, and convert them into grippy sticks within 3 minutes.... and probably more than 30 pairs of them. Considering the $2 difference between regular sticks and Pro-Grip sticks, and this spray costing about $9 a can, I would say it was a good deal that will pay for itself by the 4th pair of sticks.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:22 AM

I bought a pair of the ziljian ones and only played them at a gig once- I only lasted 3 songs!! They tore my hands to pieces- I had massive blisters. No stick has ever done that to me before or after.

Ive never used them again. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:52 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
I bought a pair of the ziljian ones and only played them at a gig once- I only lasted 3 songs!! They tore my hands to pieces- I had massive blisters. No stick has ever done that to me before or after.

Ive never used them again. Has this happened to anyone else?
I have several pairs of Zildjian 5A's and 5B's that have the purple coating that rub the index finger of my right hand a bit. I bought them a couple of years ago to try them out, but I no longer use them. I do use several other Zildjian sticks without the coating and I have no problems with them. Actually one of my favorite sticks are the laminated birch "Heavy Jazz" sticks. Another Zildjian stick with a double yellow coating that I sometimes use is the Trilok Gurtu walnut sticks. They're unique since they have a contoured grip for your thumbs.

Dennis
Old 12-19-2010, 03:30 PM

Try tennis racket OVER grip tape. (Not the regular grip tape -it is too thick. The over grip tape is thinner and is used as a shorter term wrap over the main grip tape). Last forever and comes in various forms with differing materials. Some stickier than other etc