DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Default Looking at buying a metronome

Thinking of getting one for use as live click for intros only.
Will Yamaha Clickstation stop when footswitch plugged in and pressed.
Only need for song intros.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Looking at buying a metronome

Apparently (I speak under correction) the Yamaha Clickstation is discontinued, so you would need to buy a used one. I have no experience with it, so can't help there.

The Tama Rhythm Watch is very nice but quite pricey.

Personally, I downloaded a metronome for my PC, made 10-minute recordings of the tempo for each song my band plays, and stored them on my MP3 player. So I listen to the click before we start playing and then either leave it running or pop the headphone out my ear until the next song.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:55 PM

Cgeers for the response.
I have tought of doing exactly what you do but feel that a quick push button start/stop gadget would be better.
I have looked at the Tama jobbie and would consider it but not sure if that has the function for the foot switch start/stop.
I'm sure the clickstation has more capacity to store set lists though.
I know I'll have to get a used one but that doesn't matter as it'll be cheaper than a new one.

Am also toying with using a touchscreen laptop or tablet such as the iPad with metronome app or something, could also use it to display lyrics and song structure.

? Anyone doing this ?
Old 12-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

Here's a link for the Clickstation manual in different languages

http://free-pdf-ebook.com/2007/11/25...owners-manual/

I own the Clickstation, love it and lamented when Yamaha stopped making it. The manual does say that a trigger attached to the trigger input will do what you want (around the same page as Tap function). It doesn't mention a footswitch.

I use to own a Roland DDR-30 and with pads (back when Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth). I bought what was called a momentary switch to advance the patches on the DDR-30 brain. This was also used on many other Roland devices. I believe I even used it as a sustain pedal on a couple of synths. This probably would send the same type of signal to the Clickstation and therefore work the way you want it to.

I don't own a switch like that anymore so I can't test it. I usually mount my metronome off of my hihat with a mark tree accessory that screws into the back. Very accessible and works for me.

If you can find a used Clickstation in good condition, it's a great metronome. Not saying there aren't others that do what you want but it's one of the best I've owned.

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 12-06-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giffo View Post
Cgeers for the response.
I have tought of doing exactly what you do but feel that a quick push button start/stop gadget would be better.
I have looked at the Tama jobbie and would consider it but not sure if that has the function for the foot switch start/stop.
I'm sure the clickstation has more capacity to store set lists though.
I know I'll have to get a used one but that doesn't matter as it'll be cheaper than a new one.

Am also toying with using a touchscreen laptop or tablet such as the iPad with metronome app or something, could also use it to display lyrics and song structure.

? Anyone doing this ?
Use my iPhone with in the app store has a few decent metronomes going. Does the job, simple!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:56 PM

Just found the right one.......iPad with 'Tempo 2' app......brilliant