DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Care of non-retractable brushes

I really like the Regal Tip brushes with the wood handle but they're not retractable. My last pair got messy because, while I'd kept them in the plastic tube they came in, at some stage someone trod on the tube and it cracked. Then the wires kept catching on the broken tube.

Now I have a new pair and I'm wondering how you guys keep your non-retractable brushes in good shape.

Ta in advance

Da Pol
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-03-2010, 01:41 PM
denisri denisri is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 543
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

Hi Pollyanna
Your going to laugh at this one...I use the inside card-broad roll of toilet paper or papertowels. Denis
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

And I did :) Not exactly elegant but at least they're easily replaced if they get scrunched up ...

I can imagine that working. Ta for that, Denis. Good to have a fallback position should the tube get damaged again ... maybe paint it red or something for that touch of style :)
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 PM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,328
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

I just thought of this...

Go to a local plumbing/hardware store and get a short piece of PVC pipe and 2 caps in the diameter you need. Glue one on and mark the other one so you know it's the cap.

The only drawback to this is that you may have to buy an entire piece of pipe just to get the short piece you need. Perhaps you know some plumbers?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,231
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
I just thought of this...

Go to a local plumbing/hardware store and get a short piece of PVC pipe and 2 caps in the diameter you need. Glue one on and mark the other one so you know it's the cap.

The only drawback to this is that you may have to buy an entire piece of pipe just to get the short piece you need. Perhaps you know some plumbers?
That is a good idea. You should be able to buy pipe by the foot.

I would suggest a little more elaborate setup. Say you need 18 inches of pipe. Buy two end caps and cut the pipe at six inches, then join the two parts with a double-female junction. Open the container only at the junction. Maybe velcro the tube to a cymbal stand. That way, the brushes ALWAYS stay in the storage tube except when they are being played, and the tube always offers six inches of wood handles when opened.

But I have to wonder why anyone would prefer non-retractable brushes? I like the white Vic Firths. What possible advantage could non-retractables have? That are more fragile and less safe.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Crazy8s
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

Buy retractable ones next time? They are way more useful anyway, considering you can can change the sounds they make by partially retracting them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,533
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

Buy at least 12 pairs like you would sticks. As soon as one gets bent, throw it away! ;)

I tried those and like 'em too, but man I hated carrying them around - that's when they got all messed up! I went back to the black retractables. I learned a cool trick from Ed Shaughnessy - he would bend his metal retractors at different points to keep the wires at different lengths depending on what he wanted - it was another one of those why didn't I think of that? moments. Doh!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-04-2010, 01:41 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
But I have to wonder why anyone would prefer non-retractable brushes? I like the white Vic Firths. What possible advantage could non-retractables have? That are more fragile and less safe.
Fair question. I have an old pair of Ludwig retractables that I like but I prefer the Regal Tips. They have firm, smooth wire and a wooden handle that allows for rim clicks or a very light stick sound.

The PVC pipe idea sounded good but I got lost at "double-female junction". I don't do tool stuff :)

Bo, talking of bending wires, I've been thinking about those bent Steve Gadd brushes ... have you ever tried creating something like that by bending the wires? I'm guessing you'd need to be careful to bend them evenly. Maybe using a vice?
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-04-2010, 02:02 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,533
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Bo, talking of bending wires, I've been thinking about those bent Steve Gadd brushes ... have you ever tried creating something like that by bending the wires? I'm guessing you'd need to be careful to bend them evenly. Maybe using a vice?
Other than having a shorter length of wire or longer, I don't know what the advantage of having bent brushes would be. It doesn't change your attack, nor does it change your swish sounds - hence why I've never tried it. But Steve is such a god that I bet if he dyed his hair pitch black to deny his aging, most other Gadd clones would do the same, eh?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-04-2010, 02:10 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

The bent wires won't catch on the coating and I think it would feel smoother generally.

And when I have more grey hair I'll definitely be putting in some colour ...
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-04-2010, 02:37 AM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,328
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
That is a good idea. You should be able to buy pipe by the foot.

I would suggest a little more elaborate setup. Say you need 18 inches of pipe. Buy two end caps and cut the pipe at six inches, then join the two parts with a double-female junction. Open the container only at the junction. Maybe velcro the tube to a cymbal stand. That way, the brushes ALWAYS stay in the storage tube except when they are being played, and the tube always offers six inches of wood handles when opened.

But I have to wonder why anyone would prefer non-retractable brushes? I like the white Vic Firths. What possible advantage could non-retractables have? That are more fragile and less safe.
That's a pretty good idea too. I have the VF Heritage and the white brushes. Yeah, retractable is the way to go.

Oh...you said "six inches of wood". Hehe...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-04-2010, 02:45 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,662
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

Yep. PVC, two push on caps, put them in handle first, take them out handle first. Not elegant but very sturdy and cheap. Take a marker and write Regal Tip on it and who will know??
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-04-2010, 02:49 AM
Big Foot's Avatar
Big Foot Big Foot is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: QC
Posts: 744
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I really like the Regal Tip brushes with the wood handle but they're not retractable. My last pair got messy because, while I'd kept them in the plastic tube they came in, at some stage someone trod on the tube and it cracked. Then the wires kept catching on the broken tube.

Now I have a new pair and I'm wondering how you guys keep your non-retractable brushes in good shape.

Ta in advance

Da Pol
I keep them away from kids and drunk people! If they just look at my brushes they will get bent ... and then I get kinda bent.
I really, really like the Regal Clayton Cameron brushes and I keep them in the tube in a stick bag. The wires are on the thin side. When they're out at home I guess I'm just careful there's really nothing else you can do but be careful (neurotic) with them.
The advantage to the Clayton brushes is the length. Otherwise I'd use the retractable ones (I actually have to many pairs of brushes).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-04-2010, 03:05 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,903
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

You're gonna laugh at this one...You know the red hollow cardboard thingy that a pair of Vic Firth sticks come in? I use one of them per brush. I slide it up the handle, going "with the grain" of the wires, and encase the wires in the cardboard. It's a pretty good fit. Then they just go in the stick bag handle end first. Cheap and it works good.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

That's pretty resourceful, Larry. Just tried it and, while a bit loose, it's not bad. I don't have a sticks bag, just a plastic bag because I don't have a floor tom to hang a stick bag from.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Big Foot's Avatar
Big Foot Big Foot is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: QC
Posts: 744
Default Re: Care of non-retractable brushes

I forgot about this one! A rolled up elastic works great to keep the wires in a contained bundle and out of snagging danger. And, you can just roll the elastic down onto the handle when you play.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com