DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-07-2007, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Billy Cobham

Although Billy is certainly worthy of two threads, here's the one you're looking for:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4127
Old 11-07-2007, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

Totally agree. Its interesting for me to trace the evolution of drummers, and I think Billy is the link between a Tony Williams and say, Vinnie Colauita.

Billy was one of the founding fathers of the jazz infused back beat that had the power of rock, and the intricacy of jazz, which in the late 70s, created this whole new genre of music we now insipidly call jazz rock.

His album Spectrum, is also a seminal work of not just of great drumming ,but also of great writing.

Last edited by aydee; 11-07-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

I was looking for the Cobham thread and couldn't find it either. So I went to youtube and watched this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2VYKgFBH3A

He's one of the more creative drummers out there with a host of solo albums and great compositions. I know in the latter seventies people used to say Billy couldn't groove, that was when those fusion guys were looked down upon.

That's what happens when people don't 'listen.'
Old 11-19-2007, 08:59 PM

I missed a chance to see Billy Cobham playing in my area recently, the event was hardly publicised and I was quite annoyed that the event organisers hadn't done more.

He's one of a small number of players who really inspire me to get on the kit and do something different. The bass drum shuffle on Quadrant 4 was a revelation to me when I first heard it.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

A Billy story:

This has nothing to do with how great Billy is or is'nt, but back in '81, I had gone to hear Billy at a little music club in Greenwich Village, New York, called THE BOTTOM LINE.

Billy was to go on at 9pm, but I'd gotten to the club a little early.

Strains of loud music were emerging through the doors of the club, as I walked up to the counter clerk.

" Who's opening for him ?"
I asked him.

" Oh, some band called Police or something.. from the UK" he replied in a sleepy voice.

" what kind of music? " I continued, trying to decide if they were worth a listen

..... "Some punk BS" he said.

I decided to kill a half hour walking around the neighborhood, and returned to the club after a chilidog & diet coke, to the closing strains of Roxanne.

A few months later, you could hear nothing else on the radio.

Oh, and by the way, Billy blew my mind wide open that night, and I still have'nt fully recovered.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member

anybody have a RED BARON transcription that they could post up on the forum. Havent found it on the net.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:42 AM

Billy Cobham is the fusion drummer of our time. I'd kill to have his hand technique and his speed around the drums. On top of that, his musicianship and ability to listen to other musicians was unmatched.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:21 AM

Billy Cobham is one of the best drummers who ever lived. He has it all, blazing chops, deep pocket, creativity, you name it. aswell as a great drummer, he is a great song writer.
And has wrote some brilliant music with his band.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 PM

I just went and saw him play a show called Spectrum Revisited at Yoshi's in San Francisco on saturday. It was an absolutely amazing show. Everything about it was spectacular. I was definitely blown away (this being my first live show).
Old 04-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Where does one go now to find information about BC: concerts, clinics? His website has been down for the longest time.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
A Billy story:

This has nothing to do with how great Billy is or is'nt, but back in '81, I had gone to hear Billy at a little music club in Greenwich Village, New York, called THE BOTTOM LINE.

Billy was to go on at 9pm, but I'd gotten to the club a little early.

Strains of loud music were emerging through the doors of the club, as I walked up to the counter clerk.

" Who's opening for him ?"
I asked him.

" Oh, some band called Police or something.. from the UK" he replied in a sleepy voice.

" what kind of music? " I continued, trying to decide if they were worth a listen

..... "Some punk BS" he said.

I decided to kill a half hour walking around the neighborhood, and returned to the club after a chilidog & diet coke, to the closing strains of Roxanne.

A few months later, you could hear nothing else on the radio.

Oh, and by the way, Billy blew my mind wide open that night, and I still have'nt fully recovered.

Brilliant story that!! Bet you were gutted mate :(

I saw billy cobham a few years back playin a clinic in Swansea was absolutley brilliant. Maybe i was biased though because he plays opened handed like me ;)
Old 10-01-2008, 01:44 AM

I just saw Billy Cobham live about two weeks ago. I had heard that he might've lost a step or two with age based on a previous tour, but not on this tour. He hasn't lost a step. Billy nailed everything. Never got off once on his crazy fills which I heard happened a tiny bit back in 2003/2004 on his Spectrum reunion tour.

He's in the process of recording a 3 or 4 volume set (don't remember which) of new stuff with his New York band. He played a lot of stuff off of the first volume when I saw him and it sounds amazing. I think he's in the process of recording the second volume now.

Then he played Quadrant 4 off of Spectrum. One of the craziest grooves I've heard. He plays a blisteringly fast double bass shuffle with a ridiculous ride pattern overlaid. I mean, I know it sounds great on the album, but hearing live was really something remarkable.

Anyone: if he's coming to town, get out and see Billy Cobham. It's an incredible experience. Being a left hand/right foot lead drummer like he is, I do naturally take a lot from his setup and technique. but I think that everyone can learn so much from just one night of hearing this guy live. I know I was inspired.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:35 PM

Funny this thread should pop up. I was just listening to Jack Johnson yesterday. Love BC's work on that one. And love this from wikipedia. They all just show up and look what happens.

"The first major recording session for the album, which took place on April 7, 1970, was almost accidental: John McLaughlin, awaiting Miles's arrival, began improvising riffs on his guitar, and was shortly joined by Michael Henderson and Billy Cobham. Meanwhile, the producers brought in Herbie Hancock, who had been passing through the building on unrelated business, to play the Farfisa organ. Miles arrived at last and began his solo at about 2:19 on the first track."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
Where does one go now to find information about BC: concerts, clinics? His website has been down for the longest time.
http://www.billycobham.com/html/index.php

Looks like it's back up. Billy is one of the all time greats. One of my faves is Mahavishnu's Between Nothingness and Eternity which is a live album from the early 70s. Poor sound quality but great playing.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Mr B. Loved the interview. I've always been fan of Billy's drumming - it seems he has a great attitude too.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Billy, in my opinion, is one of the greatest ever drummers.

I was totally blown away when I first heard him as a kid.

Yet, he seems strangely under-rated and doesn't get too many namechecks in drum magazines and forums etc

After trying for years, recently managed to nail the monstrous double-bass drum shuffle he does on the song Quadrant 4. Great fun to play...
Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM

The most consistent drummer in my cd collection. Topping at 7 albums. 3 Miles, 4 Mahavishnu. Great stuff!!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Cobham's hertas on the original recording of Stratus off the Spectrum album remain one of the definitive, "You gotta be sh**tin' me, did he really play that?" drum licks of my lifetime. You have to slow those things down to half-speed before they sound playable.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermac View Post

Yet, he seems strangely under-rated and doesn't get too many namechecks in drum magazines and forums etc
I beg to differ about the underrated part. I think Billy has reached that echelon where it is just assumed he is one of the greatest. Like Buddy Rich, even if he's never mentioned, he's still there as one of the bars to reach for. It's like saying Tony Williams, or Max Roach, or Papa Joe Jones....
Old 11-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermac View Post

Flip through Modern Drummers of the late 70's and early 80's and he's pretty much on every page.

In the 90's, he switched endorsements several times, which may have killed of some enthusiasm for putting him in ads.

But as Bo said, saying Billy is underrated is like trying to say Tony is under rated.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:04 AM

I think what attracted me to Billy's playing initially was that he hits the drums very hard and with authority. I'm a Metal/Rock drummer, and most of my favorite players (John Bonham, Dave Lombardo, Dave Grohl, Tomas Haake) have a very powerful style which attracted me to the drums in the first place. Billy was the first Jazz drummer who I saw really pounding his drums, with a whole lot of groove and musicality to boot! Inner Mounting Flame ranks as one of my favorite albums drum-wise because of how dynamic Billy is throughout (he has one of the largest dynamic ranges I've ever heard). "Meeting of the Spirits" and "Vital Transformation" were life-changing listens for me.

Anyone want to recommend to me other records with Billy on them that I need to add to my collection? Birds Of Fire and Spectrum are coming soon, but anyone else have any favorites that I should check out? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:37 AM

Crosswinds is one of my all-time favorites. Shabazz is a live album with the Brecker Bros at Montreaux that also kicks some serious ass.

Mahavishnu's Bungled Sunspray Demise has some fantastic (in the true sense of the word) playing although it wasn't finished.

I like the videos on this fan page for Billy...

http://www.drumminfool.com/billy_cobham_video_clips.htm

Also, since you like heavy hitting jazz/rock drummers, I also recommend checking out Narada Michael Walden (especially on Visions of the Emerald Beyond as well as Alphonse Mouzon.

Last edited by jivadayadasa; 11-26-2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: forgot to add content
Old 11-26-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivadayadasa View Post
Crosswinds is one of my all-time favorites. Shabazz is a live album with the Brecker Bros at Montreaux that also kicks some serious ass.

Mahavishnu's Bungled Sunspray Demise has some fantastic (in the true sense of the word) playing although it wasn't finished.

I like the videos on this fan page for Billy...

http://www.drumminfool.com/billy_cobham_video_clips.htm

Also, since you like heavy hitting jazz/rock drummers, I also recommend checking out Narada Michael Walden (especially on Visions of the Emerald Beyond as well as Alphonse Mouzon.
Thanks! I'll check everything you just posted out. I really appreciate it!
Old 11-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

My first Cobham listen, before anything he did with Mahavishnu, was the Best Of Billy Cobham. Tunes like Red Baron, Pleasant Pheasant and Quadrant 4 are groovin' and the excitement is off the charts. Stratus is the tune that turned my head around. One of my favorites of the genre to this day. And those hertas around the toms are unplayable at that tempo, no idea how he does it.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:02 AM
Platinum Member

I bet not all Cobham fans are aware that he was part of Bobby & The Midnites, one of Bob Weir's side projects. For those who don't know, this will be especially entertaining :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWscxdleZzI
Old 07-25-2011, 04:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPHd2NyQ4TM
Old 08-07-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joezack2003 View Post
Wow, billy looks like mid 40's...not 67!

Give it up for billy.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 PM

Good Thread,

Billy Cobham is the reason I play drums.

I used to listen to Spectrum when I was about 2-3 years old as my dad had it, and I was hooked on the whole album...this was 1975-6...and used to drum along to it....or try at the time.......by the time I was about 6-7 I was pretty much able to the play the groove from the title track.....and still I think his best song ever....

I grew up wanting to be as good as him one day.......so 38 years later and 'some chance!'

I think he's second only to Buddy Rich....but it's a close thing in my eyes....
Old 01-07-2012, 01:51 AM

Greetings fellow Cobham enthusiasts! If you haven't heard, we are now accepting students from all over the world at the Billy Cobham School of Drums!!! He's teaching his complete drum method, everything from holding the sticks and snare rudiments to playing professionally (and everything in between). The best part is being able to submit videos for Billy to review. He'll watch you play and then send you a video on what you should be doing to improve. You can ask him questions at any time and watch the videos as many times as you need... it's like having Billy Cobham as your personal teacher, and because it's all online you won't need to travel to Switzerland!

Check out this youtube promo for a "behind the scenes" look.

Love this quote:

"I'm not trying to play into the drum, I'm trying to draw the sound out of the drum." - Billy Cobham
Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

I'm just starting to dig more into BC's playing. I've got mates who are really into the kind of stuff the Dillinger Escape Plan drummer/s played, a lot of it revolves around a fast roll between the snare and kick, with the snare leading. I know Billy has done this decades ago but I'd like to find a few tracks that feature it. Can anyone suggest something?

Here's a (loud) video that shows what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRwRaWzDiJs
Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 PM

As a huge Billy fan, I was inspired to put together a tribute thing for him. I posted 30minutes of Billy solos on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hzjk_xBMiw

... and created a 2.5 hour long DVD of Billy moments that is available here:
http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=15870
It might not be very active, but If you ask you can probably find a seeder there.

Duration: 2:21:52
Data Size: 3.95 GB
Bit Rate: 3.99 Mbps
Total Folder Size: 4.56 GB

Video Tracks:
224 MPEG-2, 720 × 480, 4:3, 29.97 fps, 7.50 Mbps, lower field first

Audio Tracks:
128 AC3 2/0, 48 kHz, 192 kbps

**Horace Silver Quintet**
Jazz Omkring Midnat
Denmark TV 1968
TV > VHS > ? > DVD > FCP > DVDSP

**Mahavishnu Orchestra**
Munchen, Germny,
Olympia Jazz
August 17, 1972

Chateauvallon, France
August 23, 1972
Pro Shot > pre-broadcast tapes > ? > DVDR > FCP > DVDSP

BBC
August 25, 1972

Bananafish Garden
Brooklyn, New York
March 15, 1973
TV >PC(canopus..advc) > DVDTV > FCP > DVDSP

**Billy Cobham Band**
Kongsberg Jazz Festival
Kongsberg, Norway
June 23, 1974
TV > VHS > ? > DVD-RTV > VHS > DVD > FCP > DVDSP

Montreux, Switzerland
July 4, 1974
TV > VHS > ? > DVD-R > FCP > DVDSP

London
Rainbow Theater
July 13, 1974

**Billy Cobham / George Duke Band**
Montreux, Switzerland
July 6, 1976
Satellite Tv > Sony DVD-Recorder RDR-HX900 > DVD > FCP > DVDSP

**BILLY COBHAM'S GLASS MENAGERIE**
Montreux, Switzerland
July 23, 1982

Clinic
Orlando
Handheld on tripod > VHS > ? > DVD > FCP > DVDSP
Old 07-31-2012, 07:46 PM

Here is another Billy Cobham torrent I uploaded that is still readily available:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=93840

Duration: 0:34:31
Data Size: 1.18 GB
Bit Rate: 4.91 Mbps

Tv > Unknown Gen VHS > Standalone > MPEG Video Wizard > DVD

Video Tracks:
224 MPEG-2, 720 × 576, 4:3, 25 fps, 7.00 Mbps, upper field first

Audio Tracks:
128 AC3 2/0, 48 kHz, 256 kbps

An Old Grey Whistle Test episode from 1975 featuring Billy Cobham's Band recorded at the Rainbow Theater on July 13, 1974. Great filming and great performances. Audio quality is excellent. There is an occasional shake/shimmy in the video and a couple of very brief drop-outs. Other than that this looks to be only a generation or 2 from master/broadcast quality. My only complaint is that its only 2 tunes . . . But these 2 are MONSTERS!

Adequate menu and chapters for both songs.

Shabazz
Tenth Pin

Billy Cobham: Drums
John Abercrombie: Guitar
Michael Brecker: Tenor Saxophone
Randy Brecker: Trumpet
Glen Ferris: Trombone
Alex Blake: Bass
Milcho Leview: Keyboards
Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 PM

Had the great pleasure of seeing Billy last night at the Birchmere in Alexandria, Virginia.
The man is simply a phenomenon. His touch on the drums is incredible, his sense of groove, his jaw-dropping precision-- wow!

It's simply amazing that he is 70 years old and still plays the same as he ever did. The man is an icon. GO SEE the Spectrum 40th Anniversery tour, you won't regret it. Also onstage were Gary Husband on keys, and Jerry Goodman from Mahavishnu Orchestra on violin.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM

I saw them last week here in Cambridge, MA. Great show. The whole band.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

I am excited that Billy is doing a clinic tour. I will search the net, but if anyone has a schedule, please post it up.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:10 PM

All i can find at the moment is this-

http://www.songkick.com/artists/446916-billy-cobham
Old 06-03-2013, 07:47 AM

Fabulous drummer and an immense influence on his peers in the 70s. Say no more!

He was as important as Keith Moon and John Bonham. They would probably agree too!
Old 06-26-2014, 12:49 AM

Does anyone know if Cobham is now using and endorsing Tama STAR drums?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
anybody have a RED BARON transcription that they could post up on the forum. Havent found it on the net.
Unfortunately not even close, but I tried to learn the head by ear and I did write out that cool triplet fill during the head if that's of any interest. It's kind of hard to hear but I think it's roughly right...

It's near the bottom of this link: http://carolinescot8.wix.com/carolin...criptions/c347

Caroline