DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-17-2010, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Ringo Starr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A7t6rbx39E

"The original song is good, and with John's voice it's better. Then Paul has this idea for this great little riff. And Ringo hears that and does a drum thing that fits in, and that establishes a pattern that John leapt upon and did the "shoot me" part. And then there's George's guitar at the end. The four of them became much, much better than the individual components." -George Martin on "Come Together", Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Beatles Songs issue
Old 11-22-2010, 06:54 PM

Do yourself a favour and check out the isolated tracks that are posted here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WarmBelowTheStorm

Enjoy..!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdlang View Post
Do yourself a favour and check out the isolated tracks that are posted here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WarmBelowTheStorm

Enjoy..!
Great link, thank you.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

I am re-watching the Anthology series and am loving it. It is great to see Ringo play those old Luddies. And interesting to see the rickety old stages he had to play on and all the problems faced by the technology of the day. 100 watt amps at Shea stadium????

Ringo is a legend!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
I am re-watching the Anthology series and am loving it. It is great to see Ringo play those old Luddies. And interesting to see the rickety old stages he had to play on and all the problems faced by the technology of the day. 100 watt amps at Shea stadium????

Ringo is a legend!
Remember those images. The cymbal stands look like they are ready to fall over at any minute, and seems like everything is creeping away from poor Ringo. Worlds most famous band in a huge concert and yes a very rickety looking plywood stage. We've come a long way. I wonder with all the screaming girls could anyone really hear them play? Would kill to have been there, or better yet, the Hollywood Bowl! Thanks for sharing, Dave
Old 02-21-2011, 08:56 AM

Ringo is a great drummer and musician. All of his drumming complimented the beatles songs. He sang, played, wrote some great songs. Each individual member of that group all together made the beatles what they where.

Last edited by jackie k; 02-21-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

I can't call myself a drummer yet since I'm just heading into my first lesson but from a completely fan oriented point of view I feel that Ringo is highly underrated. I've always felt that Ringo's talent was in making what he does seem so simple when it's not. I've seen Ringo live twice with his All-Starr Band (08 and 10) and he has never failed to disappoint as a drummer or an all-around entertainer.

Seeing him live is probably one of the catalysts for me finally getting the nerve up to start lessons. Ringo and George were probably the most shortchanged Beatles but for me, they were my favorites.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 AM
Administrator

and he has never failed to disappoint as a drummer or an all-around entertainer.

I think Mary needs to reword this. He never disappointed as a drummer or an entertainer.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the correction Gruntersdad....that's exactly what I meant. Ringo is both a great drummer and all-around entertainer.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Check out I Want You from Abbey Road for Ringo's greatest moment.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:49 PM

Ringo created the standard for a new style of music. However, rock is the first style most drummers learn because it is usually pretty simple. With a few exceptions, most "classic rock" is in 4/4 with a bass drum on 1 and 3 and a snare drum on 2 and 4. I don't know if he should be regarded as one of the best drummers, especially top 15 of all time. Papa Jo Jones, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Joe Morello, Tony Williams, and many others all had major contributions to jazz, which I believe is a much more complex form of music and is geared more towards musicians. I don't think he should get as much credit as the jazz greats. Not only did they create the standard for what was a new form of music at the time, but they also did it with skill and technique. I don't think Ringo is on the same level, just like (as a musician) I don't think rock music is on the same level as jazz.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Top 15 doesn't mean all 15 are Jazz. Ringos style and technique are different that doesn't make it less worthy. Some of it has to do with their contribution to music as a whole. Ask any high school drummer who Ringo is and then ask who Art Blakey is.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMalriat View Post
Ringo created the standard for a new style of music. However, rock is the first style most drummers learn because it is usually pretty simple. With a few exceptions, most "classic rock" is in 4/4 with a bass drum on 1 and 3 and a snare drum on 2 and 4. I don't know if he should be regarded as one of the best drummers, especially top 15 of all time. Papa Jo Jones, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Joe Morello, Tony Williams, and many others all had major contributions to jazz, which I believe is a much more complex form of music and is geared more towards musicians. I don't think he should get as much credit as the jazz greats. Not only did they create the standard for what was a new form of music at the time, but they also did it with skill and technique. I don't think Ringo is on the same level, just like (as a musician) I don't think rock music is on the same level as jazz.
You're really not going to get into that jazz is better than rock thing,are you?Plenty of rock players have crossed over into jazz as well as jazz players into rock.Listed to some jazz/rock or progressive rock and that music is every bit as technically challenging as mainstream jazz,but its still rock.

And Ringo does deserve to be recognized for his contribution to modern music.I would suggest you relisten to his playing objectivly and you will hear the swing and groove and the big pocket in his playing.Ringo as much as or more than Gene Krupa put drummers on the map.You can't compare technical skill by itself with musical creativity and musical playing of Ringo's style.

Steve B
Old 03-29-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
You're really not going to get into that jazz is better than rock thing,are you?Plenty of rock players have crossed over into jazz as well as jazz players into rock.Listed to some jazz/rock or progressive rock and that music is every bit as technically challenging as mainstream jazz,but its still rock.

And Ringo does deserve to be recognized for his contribution to modern music.I would suggest you relisten to his playing objectivly and you will hear the swing and groove and the big pocket in his playing.Ringo as much as or more than Gene Krupa put drummers on the map.You can't compare technical skill by itself with musical creativity and musical playing of Ringo's style.

Steve B
I guess I should re-word that. No style of music is "better" than any other style. Jazz is more geared towards musicians, and rock more towards listeners in most cases. There are absolutely exceptions, I've listened to plenty of rock music I appreciated as a musician (Flood by Snarky Puppy is a perfect example, if you would consider it rock (it sounds like a weird name, but give a listen, they're all extremely talented)) and there is a lot of jazz I can only listen to as "background music". You're right, rock can be technically challenging, but not what Ringo played. I agree that Ringo and the Beatles were all very creative, especially on the lesser known tracks (like any other band/artist I guess). But all the jazz guys did the same thing. They were just as creative, but with a lot more technical skill. I just used jazz as an example because I'm more familiar with it than funk/fusion, latin, etc.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
I agree that Ringo and the Beatles were all very creative, especially on the lesser known tracks
Huh?
What Beatles tunes were the "lesser known tracks"?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe View Post
Huh?
What Beatles tunes were the "lesser known tracks"?
I'm guessing, album tracks that weren't released as singles or become hits.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:09 AM

I think their entire catalog was well known by most listeners and rock musicians at the time.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe View Post
I think their entire catalog was well known by most listeners and rock musicians at the time.
I think you'll find that most bands, both current and from days gone by, have a degree of "fluff" or "filler" or whatever you want to call it on their albums. True fans have no problem digesting these "lesser known" tracks.....I've certainly found many of them to be more enjoyable than many single releases....but for the average punter, they're aware of what they hear on the radio (or MTV) and not a hell of a lot more.

Let's pick one album....what say Abbey Road? Survey your friends.....especially the non-muso's and non-diehards. Whilst I'm sure everyone can tell you who sang Come Together or Something or She Came in through the Bathroom Window, see how familiar they are with tracks like You Never Give me Your Money or Polythene Pam or Her Majesty. Even a classic like Maxwell's Silver Hammer is unlikely to be recalled by those who have nothing more than a passing interest in anything other than the radio tunes.

And don't be too shocked if a few of them tell you that Bathroom Window is a Joe Cocker track either. :-)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Administrator

http://www.spinner.com/2011/04/01/ri..._lnk2%7C208340
Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 PM

I believe Ringo was the best drummer in his time. He had nice fills, and knew exactly the right time to do them. Just listening to Ringo playing gives you a sense of how calm, cool, and relaxed he was while playing.

Plus, you gotta love his hi-hats.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I guess I should re-word that. No style of music is "better" than any other style. Jazz is more geared towards musicians, and rock more towards listeners in most cases. There are absolutely exceptions, I've listened to plenty of rock music I appreciated as a musician (Flood by Snarky Puppy is a perfect example, if you would consider it rock (it sounds like a weird name, but give a listen, they're all extremely talented)) and there is a lot of jazz I can only listen to as "background music". You're right, rock can be technically challenging, but not what Ringo played. I agree that Ringo and the Beatles were all very creative, especially on the lesser known tracks (like any other band/artist I guess). But all the jazz guys did the same thing. They were just as creative, but with a lot more technical skill. I just used jazz as an example because I'm more familiar with it than funk/fusion, latin, etc.
Take a listen to "She Said She Said" on the Rubber soul album. Even "I Feel Fine" is pretty technically challenging.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Wow, thats great. What a good man. I would sure love those white Ludwigs..
Old 06-15-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow View Post
I find the Purdie playing for the Beatles not surprising at all. He is the most recorded drummer why would he stop there. He's the guy you bring in the studio when you want job done right. Interesting post.
Either someone is saying Purdie said he played on Beatles tracks, or Purdie is full of crap, because he contradicts himself about what happened, and if you read the disection of his claims, you can clearly see they hold no water at all. (i am referencing the very first posts in this thread, so might be a little off topic, but if you want to read this BS article about Bernhard Purdie claiming the drums of the first 3 Bealtes albums are him and not ringo, its like the 4th or 5th post of the thread).
EMAD
VF Kinetic Force 5B
Speed King
Old 06-15-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml_fan_5@hotmail.com View Post
Either someone is saying Purdie said he played on Beatles tracks, or Purdie is full of crap, because he contradicts himself about what happened, and if you read the disection of his claims, you can clearly see they hold no water at all. (i am referencing the very first posts in this thread, so might be a little off topic, but if you want to read this BS article about Bernhard Purdie claiming the drums of the first 3 Bealtes albums are him and not ringo, its like the 4th or 5th post of the thread).
Agreed, I call bull too. Ringo had such a distinct style, and he held that style when he played live, too. It most definitely wasn't Purdie.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:21 AM

Ringo was a perfect fit for The Beatles. Think about what would have happened if he had played in the style of Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa - it would not have worked. At the time, The Beatles needed a steady drummer with a creativity that would not overpower their music. Behold....Ringo !!

I always give my students at school this one bit of advice. "It's not what you play that makes a difference, it's what you don't play". There is a tendency for all of us drummers to overplay (especially new, young drummers) due to our natural excitement and adventurous nature. Record a song with a group and really rev up the drum fills. Record the same song without being as busy on the set. In most cases (not all), the simpler drum part wins. Knowing what to play and when to play it is all part of the game. Ringo did just that !!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:29 PM

Ringo was by far the archetypical drummer of his day. Besides Charlie Watts (different Style but similar music genre) he stood out from any of the "British Invasion drummers" from say the pacemakers, and that ilk. For my money the best drummer of that era up through today. His son Zach is doing a great job especially with the who.
Now can anyone give me some tips on how to get "that sound" from the Abbey Road/Let It Be sessions? Plenty of drum gum, muffles, tape and a pillow in the bass drum? At the point I'm discussing he was using the Hollywood set of Ludwig's. a 22 inch bass but looking at certain pictures off of "Sweet Apple Trax" of that era I've only seen a pillow and some tape. The miking too also is a serious consideration but anything you can help with would be greatly appreciated. And I'd like facts not outrageous guesses. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag2217 View Post
Ringo was by far the archetypical drummer of his day. Besides Charlie Watts (different Style but similar music genre) he stood out from any of the "British Invasion drummers" from say the pacemakers, and that ilk. For my money the best drummer of that era up through today. His son Zach is doing a great job especially with the who.
Now can anyone give me some tips on how to get "that sound" from the Abbey Road/Let It Be sessions? Plenty of drum gum, muffles, tape and a pillow in the bass drum? At the point I'm discussing he was using the Hollywood set of Ludwig's. a 22 inch bass but looking at certain pictures off of "Sweet Apple Trax" of that era I've only seen a pillow and some tape. The miking too also is a serious consideration but anything you can help with would be greatly appreciated. And I'd like facts not outrageous guesses. Thanks.
Its actually quite simple,and the answer is tea towels,on all the batter heads of his drums,including the snare.He draped them over the entire head and used a little gaffers tape to hold them in place.The bass had a folded up blanket inside,and the reso head removed.His floor tom also had the reso head removed.

Steve B
Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Surprised tea towel sales never took off after Abbey Road. It works though. Looks kinda crazy if gigging but the drummer from the Beatles cover band Rain did it.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:13 AM

Starr was not incredibly proficient from a technical perspective, but played perfectly in time and complemented his fellow musicians. One can ask no more of a percussionist.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:52 AM
Doctor Dirt

He didn't lobby to work with them, they were after him. He played in the best group in that area at that time as far as popularity Rory Storm & the Stormettes something like that hahahaha!!! Ringo wasn't a smash and kill cymbals type of drummer. He was pocket strong and used short fills which is what most groups that have strong vocals need. When he did ride out he used a wash technique that added a big fill sound in the background. Very good 4/4 player who could play country beats very clean. He also had an element of swing in his feel also which I think was rare in England then. Most drummers were trying to sound like Blues drummers or Motown recordings. Definetely not a great drummer but a drummer who played great in the Beatles. Doc
Old 11-05-2011, 03:00 AM
Rebel

An excellent time keeper...who did the job dead right in The Beatles!
Old 11-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Doctor Dirt

What Pop music isn't in 4!!! Try duplicating some of Ringos fills especially the snare to rack back to snare. He leads with his left hand not right. Hes a lefty on a righty kit and at times plays like a lefty, that in turns can cause a problem if your a righty and can't lead with your left. If you've never done it you'll find its not that easy for most. He understood dynamics and used them with simple technique like a slush hi hat to a tight sock hi hat when vocals came in. His washes were perfectly placed and the thing about Ringo wasn't so much his drumming as it was with his "thinking" he placed fills appropriately, he defined riffs and actually played with power and finese. I'm not sure why some folks knock Ringo he really fit the group perfectly, he had soft hands and a better foot than he needed in that group. There wasn't much need for quartering down and not much P. Jackson & M. Clarke grooves for Ringo & Paul hahahaha!!!! I'm not a big rock n Roll fan because so much of it stinks!! But when I hear heart n soul and the beat is good then I like it. Throw in imagination and talent, when those boys and their arrainger /engineer Mr. Martin hit the studio they were excellant and anyone who can't hear that and understand the amount of effort and work that went into that doesn't know Jack. Do I have to keep saying that this my opinion and it doesn't have to be read in a church or holy place of choice? I hope not! Doc.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Rebel

Enjoy it fellows:

Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band - Boys,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qufvp...eature=related

...what a way to swing!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:24 AM

YAY! RINGO ROCKS! :D
Old 05-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Gold Member

That he didnt go running from the project after he became wealthy...what tolerance and endurance.

Inspiring...a slap-in-the-face reminder of the spirit of drumming when he plays...even more so since the beatles.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
... "Dear Prudence", on which Paul played drums due to Ringo temporarily quitting the band,
Just found an interesting quote by a person reviewing a Beatles book about this on Amazon:
MacDonald states that Paul played drums through the entire song, "Dear Prudence." Actually, Paul's drum part during the first part of the song was recorded over Ringo's original version. Paul's playing stops at the line "won't you let me see you smile" and Ringo's original track takes over. It is pretty obvious since Paul's close mic on the snare is replaced with the fatter Ringo snare sound. Stylistically, there is no way Paul ever played fills like the ones at the end of this song.
I never noticed the splice in Strawberry Fields but once it was pointed out it's obvious. I felt the same way when I listened back to Dear Prudence.

Soundcloud stream
Old 06-17-2012, 04:07 PM

Agreed, those fills are way to much for Paul to have played!

I also heard that the drumming in Back in the USSR was done by Paul..
Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Tapes by Ringo Starr's first band found:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19395832
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 PM

I just played the "Let it be" CD. This time I listened more carefully to Ringo's drums. He amazed me one more time, specially in "I me mine", "Don't let me down", "Dig a Pony", "Two of us" and, of course, "Get back". Always on time, hitting the right thing all the time. I mean, he never played anything superflous or just for show up. He's like the John Havlicek or Larry Bird of rock'n'roll: a real team player and a real talent on his own.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhango View Post
I just played the "Let it be" CD. This time I listened more carefully to Ringo's drums. He amazed me one more time, specially in "I me mine", "Don't let me down", "Dig a Pony", "Two of us" and, of course, "Get back". Always on time, hitting the right thing all the time. I mean, he never played anything superflous or just for show up. He's like the John Havlicek or Larry Bird of rock'n'roll: a real team player and a real talent on his own.
He actually did play some "superfluous" stuff, a.k.a. as style and flair, but Ringo is turned down so far in the mix, you can't hear any of it.