DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-08-2010, 02:17 AM

Default Yamaha 9500 Chain Review

Hey Guys

I haven't seen a lot of info about the the new yamaha pedals so i decided to write about mine.

I actually only picked them up yesterday but i have been testing them a lot the music shop I work at (Cosmo music for anyone in the GTA looking for info or product!).

At the shop we have the chain drive on them and they feel great! I've had the chance to try many many pedals over time. And I seemed to change my mind on which was my favorite constantly as all the mid-range to high end are great pedals! (even some of the entry level ones *cough*PDP 502*cough*).

I played the Pearl 2002 Eliminators for about 5 years (Red Cam and Strap Drive for the most part). And I almost bought the Demon Drives, DW 9000, then the 5000s, and Axis. At my church I play a Yamaha Flying Dragon which i always liked the feel of, and then our Yamaha Rep brought by the new 9500 pedals!

I was in love!

The reason is as follows. Simplicity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a pedal, a chain, a beater, and a spring. I used to love my pearls because there was so much to adjust on it but i kept changing it all the time. These yamaha pedals work great!

They are incredibly smooth. never any weird bouncing back (which i have found on some pedals when your going fast or have the spring tension high).

When you have the spring set a to a higher tension I find they tend to stick to your feet quite a bit which is nice for doing doubles and anything fast.

And they are very very very fast pedals. I can fly on these things with no problems.

For my gig today I put on the strap drive and it only exaggerated all these wonderful traits. The pedal was fantastic to play! It was like putting on an old pair of jeans comfortable and with a hole in the crotch...well....maybe that was a bad example. But you get the point.

I truly feel that the reason these pedals feel so great and move so quick is the fact that theres nothing to them! No crazy adjustments and no ridiculous And also if repairs come about it won't be hard to find the problem.

Well there's my simple review. It was longer then I thought but thats alright.

Thoughts and comments are always welcome.

dxtr
Old 11-19-2010, 02:51 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Yamaha 9500 Chain Review

Yamaha pedals IMO are underrated..very good, smooth and fast pedals....I currently play 9002's, which are also good pedals, however I feel they are a little overrated and especially overpriced...just my 2 cents...
Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

$185 for this?

Most think it's a little overpriced.

The double version lists for $829

.................................................. ................
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Well as i said i stacked it up against a lot of pedals at my shop. we sell the double for $399.99 and it feels and plays like pedals going for $600-$1000.

So is it overpriced?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

Its compatible to the IC, DW5000 series, etc. They're all priced similarly. I would look for a used one, as pre-owned yamaha pedals seems to go for a bit less than the IC and DW's.

Yamaha makes great pedals. I have the older 9310 Flying Dragon myself.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxtrinc View Post
Well as i said i stacked it up against a lot of pedals at my shop. we sell the double for $399.99 and it feels and plays like pedals going for $600-$1000.

So is it overpriced?
Agree! on the playability....and no it's not overpriced...:)...the only reason I chose the dw9002's was because of the footboard...I needed a little longer footboard than the 9500 offered...I am thinking about buying an 8500 (longer footboard version)..once I try it out and make sure the footboard is long enough...