DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-09-2010, 06:48 PM

Default My Good Deed

I put this here because it has to do with heads and sticks but it's more than that.

Did anyone attend any Big Beat festivities Sunday, Nov. 7? I couldn't find a thread. The one I attended in Tulsa (aprox 280 drummers) was fantastic. Will post pics later in another place.

Among other things, there was a fund raiser for Mr. Holland's Opis Foundation to raise money for kids who couldn't afford musical instruments. In the lobby of the arena they had Remo and Evans 14" SD heads for $15 which you could either have professionally tuned or have a caricature drawn on. I opted to put the head on my Zickos SD. Guess I'm too practical. The guy from Remo said I should pitch the old head as it wasn't any good. Since it had no dents I decided to keep it as a spare in case I broke one.

When I returned to the arena I put the head with my kit and went to look around at the other drummers. I came across a young drummer who had a decent set but all of his heads were so beat up they were wavey. I also noticed he only had one pair of sticks, the ones he was given when he registered. You could tell this kid didn't have much money.

Since I recently went from 7A's to 5A's I had a half dozen pair I didn't need. I asked him if he wanted a decent head for his SD. He said yes, so I went back to my set to retrieve my spare and the sticks. He followed me but I told him no, I would install it for him. We returned to his kit and I changed out the head and gave him the sticks. Almost teary eyed he thanked me. I returned to my set and never learned his name and I'm sure he doesn't know mine. It made me feel very good.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My Good Deed

Great story, man!

I'm sure that kid will remember that for the rest of his life.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Nice thing that you did.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

I've given the kid next door an old practice pad and something else, I can't remember now. Each time he had that kind of delight that only the young can have. It really does make you feel good, doesn't it?

I give another neighborhood kid theory and piano lessons. I don't want any money for it, it just feels great to do it and he's really coming along. He loves to play the piano now, and when he first came here he didn't know thing one about music. All he wanted to do was learn how to use the sequencer software to make rap beats.

One day he came over and asked me to teach him "about chords." Whoa! So I showed him the circle of fifths and the inversions of the chords, only very basic stuff, and now he can't stay away from the piano. He's a fast learner, very motivated.

Helping the young players, the beginers, is something I really enjoy. It's good and it's right. What you did for that kid is what I call a significant moment, it's a moment when not only are you as good as you can be but you're also enjoying that moment more than practically anything else you could imagine. It's life, man, life at its very best.

You're a good guy and I salute you. That kid will always remember you.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Gold Member

...this is what the world needs more of...

amazing how music connects us all...
Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 AM
Gold Member

Very nice story. I'm getting almost teary eyed myself. Well, not really, but its still a good story.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Administrator

Very nice indeed. Some day that kid will grow up and pass on that act. He will have learned that being nice is OK. You made his day and it cost you nothing. He will probably tell more people about that than the fun he had playing. Again. Great job. You get the Key to the City from the Mayor.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:47 AM
Silver Member

God Bless you buddy! Every random act of kindness towards me has always stuck with me in such a powerful way. I hope I can do something like that. Be proud of what you did!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:02 AM
Platinum Member

Very cool ... always a good idea to "help" how and when you can. Good karma ....
Old 11-18-2010, 02:29 AM
Silver Member

i got inspired...

i had a bunch of cheap sticks i bought last year when i first started learning with the assumption i would break them constantly, still have yet to break one and i graduated to finding better sticks i really like. i had 4 bricks, 48 pair total of unused sticks i got off ebay for like 30 bucks. gave half to the guy who owns the studios for his "poor kids learning music for free" program, he has a name for it but i can't think of it. and the other half went to my drum teacher for some of his other students that can't afford new sticks, oh yeah he got a bunch of unused heads i had laying around too...

so there ya go zickos, i payed it forward for the kids who can't, even though i had nothing to do with your good deed...
Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 AM

Good for you. We should all do that once in a while. Maybe we should make this "Everyone Good Deed" thread.