DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-21-2006, 03:53 PM

Default Which Coated heads on Mapex Saturn?

My heads sound good currently, but I just don't really like the plastic feel to them...i am thinking of trying some coated heads on my saturn.

I currently switch between the Response 2's and Clear Studio X's...

Are the coated heads going to be warmer? I kinda like my toms to resonate, so maybe a coated 1ply???
Old 09-21-2006, 09:33 PM
KARL MEMBER

Default Re: Which Coated heads on Mapex Saturn?

yes, especially 1-ply coated heads will sound very warm, you won`t have this plastic feel anymore. a 1-ply head sound very very open and resonates very good, but durability isn`t as good as with 2-ply heads.
what music style do you like to play?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:34 PM

I play Grunge Rock mixed with Modern Rock...single bass type music...
Old 11-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

I, for myself if I'd have a Saturn, I'd definitely go with the satin finish texture coated. Yes coated heads add warm to the sound.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 11-07-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer
I, for myself if I'd have a Saturn, I'd definitely go with the satin finish texture coated. Yes coated heads add warm to the sound.
What an example of a satin finish texture coated?? Can you provide some suggestions as to what you are recommending?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusppl
What an example of a satin finish texture coated?? Can you provide some suggestions as to what you are recommending?
Since Saturn has a sound of it's own, you want to let the drums to sing it's character, it's why a good single ply head which is little bit thicker (just little bit) than standard single ply medium weight head (just enough muffling to get a good tone and resonance) is the head of choice.

The heads I'm talking about are those who are called satin finish texture coated http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/pro...splay.asp?id=7

I love them...

My Kit Latest Update
Old 11-08-2006, 04:12 PM

Awesome, I currently have Coated Studio X's and they sound good, but I want to try the satin finish ones that you recommended. And yes, my saturn sounds great when hit hard and when it sings!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:23 AM
Gold Member

The Aquarian TC's are indeed a great skin.

With the Saturn having such a thin shell, Id steer away from 2-ply, even though the durability may be better.

Open those babies up! Im using TC's on my kit and they rock.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
The Aquarian TC's are indeed a great skin.

With the Saturn having such a thin shell, Id steer away from 2-ply, even though the durability may be better.

Open those babies up! Im using TC's on my kit and they rock.
actually, I've just been tuning up a saturn kit at a college I worked for and I must say that with G2 coateds on it, it sounds better than the Orion does next door! The saturn is so thin-shelled, I think the 2ply head does a really good job of bringing the ring (caused by the resonance of a thin shell) down to being perfect. With single ply heads on before, they were a little too open and ringy, a bit uncontrollable. Now they still sing beautifully, but just a little more controlled. Plus, I think the durability of a 2ply head is important unless you're loaded, I'd never stick anything 1-ply on my gigging kit because it's expensive enough as it is to play drums!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesh View Post
actually, I've just been tuning up a saturn kit at a college I worked for and I must say that with G2 coateds on it, it sounds better than the Orion does next door! The saturn is so thin-shelled, I think the 2ply head does a really good job of bringing the ring (caused by the resonance of a thin shell) down to being perfect. With single ply heads on before, they were a little too open and ringy, a bit uncontrollable. Now they still sing beautifully, but just a little more controlled. Plus, I think the durability of a 2ply head is important unless you're loaded, I'd never stick anything 1-ply on my gigging kit because it's expensive enough as it is to play drums!
I have to agree here.
My Delites are also very thin-shelled (4mm) and everyone in the Sonor camp says to use nothing but single ply to let the shells "sing". But, I find that single ply's are just a bit too resonant on a shell this thin, and double-ply's (depending on which ones) give it just the right amount of "taming".
The coated G2's sound great on the Delites, but also the Aquarian clear Response 2's are nice also
Phil
Old 11-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Gold Member

If it were me Id still go single ply, and dampen if necessary.

Thinner shelled kits need all the projection they can get and the single ply gives me a lower fatter sound than any two ply head has ever done. Yeah, it costs me a little more, but for me its sound before saving. :)
Old 11-09-2006, 06:44 PM

You know, I tried the clear Aquarian Studio X's on there, and that produced the best sound i think. It's just that the clear heads were a bit too plasticy for me, so currently I am using the coated versions and they are good, I am just wondering what is the best for this type of kit...I like my drums to sing but i also like them to have the right amount of sustain as well....
Old 11-09-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
If it were me Id still go single ply, and dampen if necessary.

Thinner shelled kits need all the projection they can get and the single ply gives me a lower fatter sound than any two ply head has ever done. Yeah, it costs me a little more, but for me its sound before saving. :)
need projection? The saturn I was playing was the loudest, most cutting kit I've ever played! I'd be more bothered about taming that beast!
Old 12-11-2006, 09:37 PM

I am going to try the coated G2's tonight on my 13'' tom that I don't use....hopefully it will give me that sound I am looking for with the right amount of tone and resonance...
Old 12-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Pioneer Member

Coated G2's sound great, and are very versitile for almost all kins of music. They come highly recommended for most things around the forum.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:11 AM

I would say coated G2's are your best bet.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:32 PM

So I put on the coated G2s on my 13x10 tom the other day to see if i like it, and it still resonates a bit too much, even more so than my aquarian single ply heads did...i am still using the Aquarian Classic Clears on the resonant side, so that may be the problem...will it be better if i put some clear G1s on the resonant side?

Help
Old 12-14-2006, 05:41 AM
Platinum Member

As far as I am aware, Classic Clears are a very similar head to a clear G1.

One way to cut down the resonance a bit more you could move to coated resonants as well as batters; i.e. coated G2's over coated G1's.
Another option would be to try something like a coated EC2 on the batter.
Just don't use pinstripes or hydraulics.

Biz
Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 AM
nhzoso

well I must say I took off the stock heads because of a little too much ring and put on Evans Genera G2 coated's and they are wayyyy to dead sounding..Even my guitar player has noticed and says they do not sound that musical and I agree. I have tried all sorts of tuning tensions and nothing really works with these heads.

I have the stock remo weatherking ambassadors on the reso's.

I Played a gig a few weeks ago and the guy had a cheap Rogers kit all set up already with aquarian heads and it sounded way better than my saturn. I am a little disappointed here.. I guess I will try some 1-ply heads but so far with the exception of hardware my saturns sound has been disappointing. Starting to think I should have went with all maple or all Birch rather than mixing woods.. well see but if I trade em in or sell em I am gonna get soaked.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
well I must say I took off the stock heads because of a little too much ring and put on Evans Genera G2 coated's and they are wayyyy to dead sounding..Even my guitar player has noticed and says they do not sound that musical and I agree. I have tried all sorts of tuning tensions and nothing really works with these heads.

I have the stock remo weatherking ambassadors on the reso's.
I have to disagree here.. I know the G2s don't have an much ring as single ply heads but they are FARRRRRRR away from "dead sounding"

I have a feeling the problem is the stock remo's because the reso too me is what controls much of the "openess" of the sound
Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

if you want tone and resonance you should get a single ply 12mil head like the remo ambassador x or evans g-plus , the have good sustain and much more tone than the regular 10mil ply head
Old 10-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

I have a Saturn with 10,12,14,16 toms sizes and switched out the stock Emperors for some Coated G2s with Clear G1s on the bottom. Definitely a warmer sound and the G2 perform so well on the 14 and 16 floor toms - just the right amount of ring and dampening for me, personally. And a helluva good time tuning them too - effortless.

I do think G2 on my 10 and 12, while great sounding, choke the drums ever so slightly but not so much they sound like "bonk" when hit. When I get to changing heads again, I might do a G1/G1 combo on those two toms but keep G2/G1 on the floors.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusppl View Post
You know, I tried the clear Aquarian Studio X's on there, and that produced the best sound i think. It's just that the clear heads were a bit too plasticy for me, so currently I am using the coated versions and they are good, I am just wondering what is the best for this type of kit...I like my drums to sing but i also like them to have the right amount of sustain as well....
I've been using the Studio X's on my Saturn kit and love the sound, but going to try some coated G2's to see how that works. The 10 does sound a bit choked compared to the others.