DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-08-2010, 02:26 AM

Default Trouble with the speed "king"

I reviewed, not played, a lot of drum pedals before deciding to purchase the ludwig speed king. I thought this was going to be a simple, solid, inexpensive drum pedal. What I have found is that this thing never wants to stay of my bass drum. It's constantly sliding around and lossening up. I am consistantly retightening the pedal to the drum. Also, before I wraped some electrical take around the mallet, it kept flying out of place. I may be a bit of ameture drummer, but I don't think I'm slamming the pedal so hard I should have to do all this.I am to the point where I am about to throw the damn thing out the window and go drop a couple hundred bucks on a new, better pedal. Any suggestions or insight from more experienced drummers?
-Thanks, Sam
Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Trouble with the speed "king"

I played a Speed King for 30 years.
Stick a thin furniture protector pad to the hoop where the pedal mounts.
File the beater shaft a bit to burr it so that the beater rod stays put.
You can also give the wing nut a little extra torque with a pair of pliers.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 11-08-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

The Speed King was an excellent pedal for its time. It was the pedal I learnt to play on, along with many others I'm sure. It was the "go to" pedal for so many years and was used by so many great players that its place in history is secure.

However, much like the famous Model T Ford, Sony Walkman or a humble vinyl record, it has been surpassed. There are better options available today. Play it for nostalgia or simply because you like it, for sure. But if it's that annoying, then ditch it. With what's available in today's pedal offerings, you can do better.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Like stated, all common problems with the Squeak King. Threads wear out, things smooth over so it makes it hard to get it tightened properly. I've had other older pedals have the same problems mind you.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

P.F.O.G. is right, The Speed king has had its day!

Here is my take after playing a speed King for many years.

The hidden spring design was great looking and innovative.
The drawback is that a quick tension adjustment is not possible.
You have to remove the pedal from the drum, Turn it upside down, Then try to adjust and balance the two tension screws. You then have to remount the pedal and try it.
Repeat as necessary until the desired tension is achieved.

The footboard looks great!
Drawback, You cant adjust the height of the footboard.
The footboard also has this weird heel piece that spins around. I never figured out what it did if you flipped it over!
The hinges make noise and they rattle about.

The beater tends to come back and hit your leg when you play fast with either heel up or heel down.
Again, There is no adjustment for the beater angle.

The clamp does have a tendency to not hold tight to the drum hoop.

A few years ago I saw ads by Ludwig saying that they had new improved Speed Kings for sale.
I went out to a store and I tried one. I didn't see any improvement al all!!!
It wasn't even as good as the original Speed King!
It played like a cheap Chinese Knock off of the original pedal that I played for over 30 years.

I'm an Iron Cobra man these days.
I do have fond memories of my Speed King though.
I still remember back to 1972 when I first brought my Speed King home and I set it up on my 60's Slingerland kit for the first time.
I thought that it was the greatest thing that I had ever played.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 11-13-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

The speed king does have it's quirks,but it has it's own feel,mostly because of the double compression spring design,and because it is a direct drive pedal.The advice you got to modify it is good,if you like the way it plays,but I agree that there are many choices out there that are much more user freindly and adjustable.I consider the SK a "floating" pedal feel wise,and if you like that,an Axis pedal you might like,it has a floating feel and is direct drive,Dw's have a floating feel to me,I have one,but I use an iron cobra most of the time,which I like.I have found that I can use a pedal that I like in the 75.00 to 175.00 range no problem,and I have liked some 75.00 pedals way more than quite a few 175.00 dollarish ones.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamonsalmon View Post
I reviewed, not played, a lot of drum pedals
And that's why it's so important to get your feet on as many pedals as you can, and then pull out the wallet.
I know a few cats who swear by the Speed King, and won't play anything else. And then I know a lot of cats who have "been there, done that" and have now moved onto more contemporary pedals. I play a Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive.
If you decide to "not give up" on the S.K., here's one of the best modifications you can make, to the pedal.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2014, 01:58 AM

Shut up! I love my old Speed King. :^)
Old 06-04-2014, 03:19 AM
Silver Member

I still play my 60's Speed King. I keep telling myself that I'll replace it with something better as soon as it breaks. Problem (?) is it's built like a tank. I put some white lithium grease in the shaft where the springs are and a little on the curved part of the direct drive linkage about every six months or so and I' good to go. I have a Gibraltar pedal on my practice kit and I've taken it to gigs as a backup but I've never had to use it. I've gotten used to the feel of the Speed King. I don't need any more adjustments than the spring tension. I got that dialed in a long time ago.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsits View Post
I still play my 60's Speed King. I keep telling myself that I'll replace it with something better as soon as it breaks. Problem (?) is it's built like a tank. I put some white lithium grease in the shaft where the springs are and a little on the curved part of the direct drive linkage about every six months or so and I' good to go. I have a Gibraltar pedal on my practice kit and I've taken it to gigs as a backup but I've never had to use it. I've gotten used to the feel of the Speed King. I don't need any more adjustments than the spring tension. I got that dialed in a long time ago.

Its 2014, maybe a pedal plate. If you tried it you'd probably like it.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:00 AM

I played a Speed King for many years and just recently bought a refurbished one for my luddie kit. Just wondering if anyone has tried putting a short linkage on one to reduce the beater angle?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

I picked up a SK off craigslist a few years ago, had fun cleaning it up and de-gunking everything. I really couldn't get it to play like I wanted. There was just too much play in the heel plate and I couldn't get the pin out that held it in.

I tried adjusting the beater to reduce the range of the pedal and thought myself so clever, it just resulted in a very annoying click when the beater stroke returned.

I'm all for old stuff. I love my old drums but I have found happiness in an Axis single pedal that I scored off Craigslist. It was an early model that needed a little bit of work, I even filed down the rod where the spring mechanism grips to prevent slipping. After that it now It does exactly what I ask of it, feels like an extension of my foot.

Ron Dunett occasionally goes on about the Da Vinci pedal, a work in progress that is supposed to be the SK pedal with modern features. I'd be interested to check it out but I really doubt it will be better for me than my trusty Axis.