DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-09-2010, 04:08 PM

Default my new Sonor Giant Step single pedal arrived today

Hi all,

Well, some of you might have read my posts about my pedal troubles.

First I had a Trick Bigfoot that I had to sell cause I needed cash. Then I was given a DW 9000 double by a friend. Found that a bit heavy. Just as I was thinking of selling it to fund my next pedal...a friend was in need of a double pedal for a gig and didn't have the cash to buy one. I thought I'd help him out and lend him the DW 9000. On the gig he broke the footboard. I'm told this happens with DWs so I didn't want to go to the trouble of getting a new footboard. So I told my friend that if he can get a new footboard for it he can keep the DW. I got it for free so why the hell not!

Anyway, I found good prices for the Sonor Giant Steps and the new Axis A21 Laser pedal.

I didn't know which one to go for. I'd never played the Giant Steps because they're really hard to come by. I played an Axis A before...but the pedal had no power. Loved the light feel and everything...the size of the footboard, etc.

But the new 21A was meant to be more powerful. Hmmmmm.

So do I go for a pedal that I might like? Or risk buying a pedal that I have no idea if I will like or not?

Well, I went for a Sonor Giant Step because I had a safety net...where I got it they said I could send it back within 30 days if I don't like it. The other company selling the Axis wouldn't offer any such thing.

The Giant Step arrived this morning.

I have to say.......I'm in love!

First of all it comes with a really nice bag. You don't get that with Trick.

The first thing that struck me about this pedal was that it was longer than I thought it would be. That's good for me cause I have a fairly big foot. Setting the pedal up was so easy. I just put the beater on....put the docking station on my hoop...and clipped the pedal into the docking station. Very handy!

I haven't touched the settings yet because I've only had the pedal about two hours. I spent all of that time behind my kit enjoying the feel of my new toy.

The footboard can be adjusted. My pedal is long and seems like it can be made even longer. Good for those of you who like to play heel toe but can't get/or don't want longboards. I'm new to heel toe myself. It's one of the reasons I was missing my Trick so much. I was really getting into the flow of heel toe when I had to sell the Trick...and I found it hard to do heel toe on the DW because of the size of my foot. But with the new Giant Step single I was getting the heel toe to work for me. I might adjust the footboard to have a little extra room for this.

The other thing that really struck me about this pedal is the feel. This pedal is sooooo smooth! Super smooth! In fact, I think it must be the smoothest chain drive pedal I've ever played. I would say it might even be as smooth as the Trick...if not the same then very close.

I also found it very easy to play fast....which again reminded me of the first time I played a Trick. I didn't have to put much effort into it. And it doesn't lose any power. I found this to be a very punchy pedal. In fact, I found I had to play a bit softer than usual...I was worried the beater might go through the head...in a good way! haha! This pedal just has so much power!

I know some people have had problems with the docking station. I think its great. But I think if you're out at a gig and you want to have a back up pedal just to be sure...you need to have another Giant Step or a 600 series because they're the only pedals out there using the docking station. I wouldn't like to have to remove the station just to slip on a back up pedal. That's about the only down side I can see right now.

I just wanted to share my first thoughts on it. There's still a lot for me to discover with this pedal. I got the single as a test drive to see if I should go ahead and get a double. Knowing that I can get it for the same price as a DW 9000 double I am now going to go ahead and put a few coins in my piggy bank! haha!

If you have any questions feel free to ask. It might give me ideas on adjustments, etc.

One last thing, I haven't even put the strap on yet. I've never played a pedal with a strap before and hear that it makes it softer and smoother. If that's the case I'm gonna be in absolute heaven.

That's all for now folks.

All the best,
SonorPlayer
Old 11-09-2010, 05:20 PM

Default Re: my new Sonor Giant Step single pedal arrived today

Congratulations on the purchase! I love my GS. The toe stop was removed immediately to help accommodate my feet (Sz 12) and better foot positioning. Switched out the chain for the strap a few months ago and I'm really liking the feel. Very smooth. Great pedal IMHO. Again congrats and thanks for the follow-up posting.

Cheers-