DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-02-2010, 10:24 PM

Default Qhat are the best batter and reso heads for snares?

I've got a 14 x 5.5 birch/basswood snare drum (mapex horizon series hzb lacquer, kit in my avatar) and so far i've got the stock remo ux (i think these are stock) coated and clear heads. Which are the best two heads to get for my snare for less jazz and brushes, more sort of modern, light/medium rock drumming? i was thinking some remo heads, i've heard the coated ambassador, emperor, CS, emperor X and powerstroke 3 are all really good batters but i cant decide what to get! also what is better for batter 1 ply or 2 ply (whats the difference) and lastly, ive heard ambassadors are the best resos (clear), what are your opinions on this?

*edit* also, will the ambassadors or whatever reso is best make much difference compared to my stock reso?

thanks in advance,

San.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Qhat are the best batter and reso heads for snares?

A coated 1 or 2 ply batter head is a good starting point. If you're keen on Remo then an Ambassador (1 ply) or Emperor (2 ply) will fit the bill. The others you mention all have some degree of muffling on the head. The CS has a dot in the centre that focuses the sound in the middle and allows a few overtones towards the edge (as does the Emp X). The Pinstripe and PS3 have a plastic ring around the edge on the underside....again this is there to limit overtones.

For the reso, you are looking for a SNARE SIDE Ambassador. Snare side heads are not the same as a regular amb. They are much thinner and promote sensitivity from the snares. Don't confuse the two.....a regular amb is likely to be too thick for a snare side. I know it's been done before (someone will always chime in with the exception to the rule and say they've had good results), but it's not the norm and won't yeild the best results unless you are after a specific sound (usually akin to hitting a cardboard box).
Old 11-03-2010, 12:56 AM

ah great thanks, but what is the difference between 1 and 2 ply? is 2 ply more muffled? and also if 2 ply is right for me whats better, emperor or emperor x, and then also what is the difference between the emeperor x and the CS?

and do you believe the snare side clear ambassador to be the best reso head?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by San View Post
ah great thanks, but what is the difference between 1 and 2 ply? is 2 ply more muffled?
As straight foward as it sounds. A 1 ply head (like an Amb) has 1 ply of 10mil mylar. A 2 ply head (like an Emp) has two layers of 7.5mil mylar. So yes, it is slightly more focused but is also more durable.

Quote:
and also if 2 ply is right for me whats better, emperor or emperor x, and then also what is the difference between the emeperor x and the CS?
Check out Remo's site for the head specs: http://www.remo.com/portal/products/...ds_coated.html What's better for you, is for you to determine but you won't go wrong with a standard Emp IMHO.

The Emp X is a two ply head (both plys are 10mil in this case) with a control sound dot (so it's one heavy duty head) and the CS is a single ply with CS dot.

Quote:
and do you believe the snare side clear ambassador to be the best reso head?
Wholeheartedly. FWIW it's also known as a Hazy Ambassador too.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:41 AM
Gold Member

The biggest difference between the Ambassadors and Emperors is the decay and 'darkness' of the sound.

Remo advertises the Emperors as the brightest two-ply heads on the market, but they will still be a bit more of a thoom on your toms instead of a singing tone, like the Ambassadors. They'll generally also be a bit more durable, like PFOG said.

Amb's are still good for rock, and a probably what you might want for 'light' rock, but the Emperors would probably be a bit more 'rocky'.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Silver Member

I personally prefer Remo resonant heads and Evans batter heads.

Apart from that it really all depends on the sound you're looking for. If you want a very open sound, and want to stick with remo, go with the Ambassador. I would almost always stick with coated for snare as a rule because the extra warmth of a coated head will compliment a snare drum.

I'd start with a Remo Diplomat resonant and a Remo Ambassador Coated for your top head. That would be a good focal point and you can tweak as necessary.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K