DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 PM

Default Cheap E-Kit + Superior Drummer 2.0

Hi Guys!

This is my first post and let me say that this forum is great!

I wanted to ask for your opinion and knowledge. First, let me warn you that I'm from Argentina soy my english will be very bad.

I've been playing drums for a long time now but since I live in an apartment, I have to buy an e-kit to practice and study. I'm gonna buy a Medeli DD506 (for those who don't know, it's the same kit as the Simmons SD7K, Fame/Legacy/Session Pro/Black Mamba DD506, different names for the same thing).
I know it's cheap and it sucks compared to other Roland and Yamaha Kits, but I can't really afford anything else, and besides it would be just too much for what I'm planning to use it for. I have no intention of using it live or move it around, I don't consider myself a hard hitter at all, I think this kit will suit my needs.

Besides using it to practice, study and play Guitar Hero/Rock Band (lame, yeah!), my goal is not to use the brain sounds at all, but instead connect the module via MIDI to my laptop and use Reaper or Cubase + Superior Drummer 2.0 or Addictive Drums. Do you guys have any knowledge about this idea with this specific kit?

To take it up a notch, I'd really like to record using those sounds, so I can give the drum track to the rest of my band and they can record their stuff on top of my drums, and get some good "respectable" audio material to distribute in a demo or something like that.
Is it easy to hook up?

I've googled a lot and watched many youtube videos of guys doing exactly this, and it seems very plausible, the sound samples you can get are just mindblowing. But anyways, I just wanted to ask you guys because you seem to really know about this.

Thank you very much for reading all this, any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:38 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Cheap E-Kit + Superior Drummer 2.0

I've done that. Superior 2.0 is amazing. Any brain with midi capability should work. You'll probbaly need an audio interface to hook the brain up to the computer. If I missed that in your initial post, my bad.

It's totally worth it by the way. No one who knows what Superior is would argue for any other product.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:31 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply Garvin!

Yes, I forgot to mention that, the need for an audio interface, I have it in mind, I'll probably get an M-Audio or something.
How about the notebook you have to use? I mean, does it HAVE to be a high end one or not really? what specs are recommended?

thanks again!
Old 08-31-2010, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

yes, it will work.

And the sounds in a drum VST like Superior or BFD are better to any sounds in the brain.

The only issue with a cheaper kit is they might track your dynamics as well as a nicer kit, episodically in the cymbals, which impacts how well you can take advantage of the great features of Superior.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:52 AM
Silver Member

can you run it back through your head phones and listen to it while you play with no delay? i have a yamaha e kit and i never thought of this. Im kind of excited now!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
yes, it will work.

And the sounds in a drum VST like Superior or BFD are better to any sounds in the brain.

The only issue with a cheaper kit is they might track your dynamics as well as a nicer kit, episodically in the cymbals, which impacts how well you can take advantage of the great features of Superior.
Thank you.

Yes, I'm aware of that and you're completely right, I'll have very little dynamics, but I guess that for the use that I'll be giving it, it should be fine, right? The cymbals ar dual zone and the snare too, then I don't know how good is the sensitivity on the pads. Do you recommend any particular VST soft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakhopper316 View Post
can you run it back through your head phones and listen to it while you play with no delay? i have a yamaha e kit and i never thought of this. Im kind of excited now!
Yes, of course you can, just plug your headphones in the audio output of your pc/laptop and you're good to go. The delay (it's called latency, I think) depends on your computer, you'll need a midi interface too to make the connection. I bet the guys here can explain it way better than me, or you could google a tutorial or something. It's really really easy and with your yamaha e-kit + the vast collection of high quality samples that come in these pieces of software, you'll get some amazing sounds. Just do a YouTube search for superior drummer 2.0 and you'll see what I mean.
Don't get overmwhelmed by this, try it and find out!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 PM

@ juditas

The only two gotchas are

1) SD7K only transmits on MIDI channel 10 (just know it)

2) SD7K transmits the same MIDI note for HH played CLOSED and RIDE.

I am posting a response that includes the solution with other references. Some of it is Battery specific but you get the jist:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simmons SD7K and Native Instruments Battery hihat functionality with HH pedal velocity sensed and transmitted:

Problem:

Upon turning on SD7K, playing CLOSED HH (pedal down - strike HH) and RIDE transmit same MIDI note

Solution:

Reassign the SD7K RIDE a different voice (Simmons word for sound), which causes a different MIDI note for the RIDE

A new drumset is saved in SD7K having the new ride cymbal sound and MIDI note

Method:

Change the SD7K ride cymbal MIDI note:

Press LEVEL/PAN/TUNE
Press "ride" (highlights it for editing)
Use round +/- button on right and increment until you see 19.7 in the window (this is voice 197 - a different ride cymbal having a different MIDI note. The decimal seen is only the voice edit mode indicator)

Press 'Save'.
Choose a number above 21 since kits 21 and below cannot be changed. For simplicity save to kit 22.
Press 'Save'.

The ride cymbal pad now has a different MIDI note. When you turn on your SD7K later for use with Battery, select kit 22 and the changed ride cymbal is intact.

With a MIDI data scanner (OBD 'MIDI MONITOR' is a good choice - or just use your DAW's internal MIDI monitor app) check the MIDI notes sent for these events: RIDE, HH OPEN, HH PEDAL DN, and HH played CLOSED. Write them all down to eliminate chance for confusion and error. On the HH CLOSED Battery cell you will have to enter the MIDI note manually since attempting a NOTE LEARN event you will first sense the HH PEDAL DN note which causes confusion.

When creating your cells in Battery 3, you can use the 'Learn' button and play the surfaces but not for HH played CLOSED. Used the notes you wrote down for confirmation when learning RIDE, HH OPEN, and HH PEDAL DN. For HH played CLOSED, just write in the note you got off the MIDI data scanner manually for both the high and low note.

If you began this process at set 00 (chosen automatically when SD7K powers up) and followed these instructions your MIDI notes should be:

RIDE: C0
HH played OPEN: A1
HH played CLOSED: A-1
HH PEDAL: G#0

Be sure to save your Battery kit with these notes on the appropriate cells. Now you're set. All 4 have full velocity functionality.

When programming your 3 hi hat cells, you will want to consider grouping the HH played OPEN and HH played CLOSED are in the same choke group, so they can't be heard together. You wil want to assign a few voices perhaps 5 to OPEN, and only one to CLOSED. This is described well in the manual.

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...941#post535941