DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 10-29-2010, 09:46 PM

Default First electric drum kit advice needed :-)

Hi,
I am new to drumming, I want to buy my first drum kit.
I'm going electric as it's far quieter than acoustic although many say they aren't as good.

I have a budget of around 500
I have looked at the Roland HD1 and a yamaha both around 450.

What I'm looking for is advice on these two kits, pros and cons and are there any more i have overlooked?

Many thanks in advance
Old 10-30-2010, 01:14 AM

Default Re: First electric drum kit advice needed :-)

"aren't as good"....hmm, I can only imagine the brightness these people have
Pearl Masters- red glass
Old 10-30-2010, 02:35 AM

Yamaha drum kits are always better value than the Rolands. Thats not to say the Rolands are rubbish, but you end up paying a fair bit more compared to the yamaha counterpart. If you can, go for the DTXtreme III, but if thats out of your price range, the DTXpress IV is still a very good edrum kit.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:26 AM

I've been playing a little over a year on a Roland td3. Playing on anything is better than not playing. Rolands have really decent resale value as they are the big "name" in ekits. Save your $$ and shop used on craigslist. If you go low end Roland, I'd move up to a td3/4.

With ANY of the lesser rolands you will get the crappy pedal hi hat. This is a Massive difference between a real hat IMO. If you can get a vh-11 hat it's much better. The td3/4 comes with 8 out of 9 sources used, so if you want to add more drums you are limited.

I want to get an A kit now anyway...the E is nice for quietness. It's almost like 2 different instruments. Rebound is not the same, but you definately practice coordination.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 PM

You should perhaps look at the Alesis DM6 (rubber pads) or the DM10 USB kit (which features the Alesis DM10 'realhead' pads, assuming you have a computer you could run the software on).

I've recently started myself, but was lucky enough to be able to purchase a DM10 Alesis Studio Kit (dedicated drum brain, extra drum and extra cymbal). That was admittedly a little more than your budget 699 (from absolute music) and it's brilliant. The USB one uses the same pads etc. There's lots of videos on YouTube of these. They sometimes come up on eBay too, but go have a look if you can.

I chose the Alesis DM10 rather than the Yamaha or Roland HD1 as I didn't like the feel of the Yamaha's rubber pads and unlike the Roland HD1 it comes on a real rack that you can configure to your liking, the HD1 has pedals that are built into the frame and I felt that severely reduced the flexibility. The Alesis is also upgradeable to proper mesh pads if you want in the future (it invalidates the guarantee though). So worth checking out.

I really like the DM10 it has 100 fully-reconfigurable kits in the module and will also store an additional 100 user kits too... it's very flexible.

Chromium

Last edited by Chromium; 11-01-2010 at 12:52 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-31-2010, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the advice.
Ill check craigslist out as a source vfor second hand.
A friend of mine has mentioned he may be selling his TD-6 rolland.
I understand this is older tech? how does it compare to other drums in the 500 bracket?
Not sure whether ill be getting a good deal buying this or its better looking for something more recent like the kits your guys have mentioned?

Thanks for all advice so far, much appreciated!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

The TD6 will probably be fine, just make sure all the connections are ok and that the mesh heads are in a good condition. I have a TD10 module that I still use from time to time and it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFart View Post
"aren't as good"....hmm, I can only imagine the brightness these people have

high five sir.
I take it you have been playing e-drums for many years.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdas03 View Post
Thanks for the advice.
Ill check craigslist out as a source vfor second hand.
A friend of mine has mentioned he may be selling his TD-6 rolland.
I understand this is older tech? how does it compare to other drums in the 500 bracket?
Not sure whether ill be getting a good deal buying this or its better looking for something more recent like the kits your guys have mentioned?

Thanks for all advice so far, much appreciated!
Id agree with Toddy. If the connections are ok, then its fine. Try it out before you buy. The TD3 I bought on CL had a "broken" CY-8 cymbal. I got $50 knocked off the price, took it home, busted out the soldering iron, resoldered the loose wire and its been fine ever since.

I can't speak to yamaha's kits, barely looked at them. I've done alot of research on Roland stuff.

TD-6 is like the TD-9 (new model). One nice thing about the rubber pads vs the mesh is that the rubber is very durable. Also, none of it feels like an acoustic drum kit really...IMO the cost and minor upkeep with having the mesh isn't worth it. There is no technological difference at the lower end with these drums between mesh and rubber. Mesh is minorly quieter.

IMO, this kit would be fine, a TD-3 would be fine for a beginner to see if you even like this. Don't go crazy spending cash on this initial investment because you will want to upgrade no matter what.

One thing I don't like about the lower end Roland stuff is that you cannot practice dynamics (loudness associated with the hardness/softness of your stick strike). You can hit the drum soft or hard and its the same sound. As a beginner its nice to get that auditory cue. To get that with roland E-Kits you are dropping $3k minimum. A $500.00 acoustic kit will allow that.

Personally, I'd go cheap on the E-kit for nighttime/quietime practice and then get an acoustic to work on when you can (this is my goal).
Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 AM

I have two Yamaha kits, a DTXplorer, and a DTXpress IV. They're both quality drums, no issues to speak of with a year and a half playtime on the DTXplorer, and six months on the DTXpress. I stayed away from roland, seemed like you're paying extra money for just a name.**cough**DW**cough**