DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-17-2010, 07:33 PM

Default Buying kit $3000 max.

Would everyone agree if they could spend up to $3000 that a Yamaha DTXtreme iii xl would be the best kit for the money?

Is there any suggestions for something else?
Pearl Masters- red glass
Old 09-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Buying kit $3000 max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFart View Post
Would everyone agree if they could spend up to $3000 that a Yamaha DTXtreme iii xl would be the best kit for the money?

At your price range (and a good bit above), the DTXtreme III is the best kit IMO....you could also look for a used DTXtreme IIISP (with hex)...if you want a better rack...as far as racks go, it doesn't get any better than the hex rack....

Last edited by scorch whammin; 09-17-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

maybe so but i would seriously consider the 3K on a NICE acoustic kit before you go all in.

my .02 cents on this: the reason i say so is that a few years ago i bought the low-end Yamaha DTXtreme (was around 1K) for home studio practice. it was GREAT w/ headphones playing w/ CDs, shedding, etc. until the day i used it for a live Blues band practice at full volume. even w/ a 16 channel system & loud speakers, my experience w/ the loss of dynamics, sensitivity, touch, nuance, etc. was so disturbing i sold it a week later. my feeling at the time was "i would rather piss off the neighbors or play brushes at low volume on a REAL kit than to feel that disconnected w/ my touch ever again".
Old 09-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_G View Post
maybe so but i would seriously consider the 3K on a NICE acoustic kit before you go all in.

my .02 cents on this: the reason i say so is that a few years ago i bought the low-end Yamaha DTXtreme (was around 1K) for home studio practice. it was GREAT w/ headphones playing w/ CDs, shedding, etc. until the day i used it for a live Blues band practice at full volume. even w/ a 16 channel system & loud speakers, my experience w/ the loss of dynamics, sensitivity, touch, nuance, etc. was so disturbing i sold it a week later. my feeling at the time was "i would rather piss off the neighbors or play brushes at low volume on a REAL kit than to feel that disconnected w/ my touch ever again".
judging by the OP's signature, he already has an acoustic kit, 3 very nice ones actually. so i guess hes in the e-kit market now.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuo View Post
judging by the OP's signature, he already has an acoustic kit, 3 very nice ones actually. so i guess hes in the e-kit market now.
Yes...never owned one, so figured I might as well have some fun with one.
I think I'll go ahead an order the 3's
Pearl Masters- red glass
Old 09-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Personally, I like the sounds of the Roland stuff much better than the Yamaha's. And Roland does have a few kits in that $1800 - 2700 price range that could also be considered.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Personally, I like the sounds of the Roland stuff much better than the Yamaha's. And Roland does have a few kits in that $1800 - 2700 price range that could also be considered.
I don't know...the TD-9 is the only one I can think of and it is nowhere close to the 3's.
Can you elaborate a little your opinion.

What about the Alesis DM10 I keep hearing about?
Pearl Masters- red glass
Old 09-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't know...the TD-9 is the only one I can think of and it is nowhere close to the 3's.
Can you elaborate a little your opinion.

What about the Alesis DM10 I keep hearing about?
I've owned the big Roland TD-10 kit when that was the kit to have and I just liked those sounds much better. The pads felt more like drums and even came in colors (mine was in that red fade). It was easy to play and easy to get nice sounds. That's pretty much my opinion on them. I don't use them anymore and all my playing is acoustically nowadays.

I tend to avoid anything Alesis these days just because you don't know what kind of support you're going to get out of them. They almost went out-of-business some time ago and since have really strove to regain their reputation and market share, but it's still a little iffy on those. Roland and Yamaha are both close to me here in Los Angeles, so getting anything fixed isn't that much of a problem, just a hassle. For years I've had Roland drum machines and several octapads, so over time I've developed a relationship with them and don't mind dealing with them.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I've owned the big Roland TD-10 kit when that was the kit to have and I just liked those sounds much better. The pads felt more like drums and even came in colors (mine was in that red fade). It was easy to play and easy to get nice sounds. That's pretty much my opinion on them. I don't use them anymore and all my playing is acoustically nowadays.

I tend to avoid anything Alesis these days just because you don't know what kind of support you're going to get out of them. They almost went out-of-business some time ago and since have really strove to regain their reputation and market share, but it's still a little iffy on those. Roland and Yamaha are both close to me here in Los Angeles, so getting anything fixed isn't that much of a problem, just a hassle. For years I've had Roland drum machines and several octapads, so over time I've developed a relationship with them and don't mind dealing with them.
Thanks..that helps.

I do know you can't even buy a DM10 right now and they still haven't come out with the 3rd party sounds like they promised over a year ago.

I'm not a big fan of mesh..not that Ive had much time on them. The new DTX950 kit has some really nice pads..really close to acoustic heads IMO. Of course it's to expensive IMO. I don't want or need one that bad.
Pearl Masters- red glass
Old 09-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Would everyone agree
As you can see, you'll pretty much never get everyone to agree ... on anything. And then, you also get the guy trying to talk you "out of " buying an e-kit, even though you already own 3 really nice acoustic's. We do have variety and color ... and rightly, we should, ... makes things interesting.
Quote:
...spend up to $3000 that a Yamaha DTXtreme iii xl would be the best kit for the money?
If Yamaha is what you want, it's a great kit. Since they make acoustic drums, all their kits are sampled and loaded into their e-kits. I own both a Roland and a Yamaha. Can't fault either one.
Quote:
Perhaps you want to do "something more", check this cat out .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxgdcw2Cawo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0AzWOQMkqE
This is the "approach" I took. First, I added a Roland SPD-S and a loop station, to my acoustic kit, making a hybrid. Then I added a Tama TechStar to the fold (vintage 6 channel synth. drums). Then came a Roland TD-7 and a Yamaha DTXpress. Then came a Korg Wave drum. And, latest score, a Mandala V1.
My take, I have my Luddies (26, 13, 16, 18 ) and my Yamaha RC's (22, 12, 13, 14) when I want drums. And when I want something com-plete-ly different ... I go to the electronics.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:30 AM

Thanks all...went with a DTX 3. Truly amazing what these things can do now...I remember what they were 15yrs ago. Can't compare at all.

I upgraded firmware as suggested and bought the new silicone snare pad. I will honestly say that going from acoustic snare to dtx pad is as close as we are going to get. IMO
Pearl Masters- red glass
Old 10-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

edit: nevermind you got the DTX.
hope you are enjoying it!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I will honestly say that going from acoustic snare to dtx pad is as close as we are going to get. IMO
Glad you picked up a kit ... but if you check out a Korg Wave Drum ... the future is gonna get a lot better, than the DTX pad ...IMO.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:58 PM

Ive actually played one, after seeing Calhoun play one yrs ago. I thought they were not around for years, have seen them as of late so I guess they are back.

They are pretty cool.
Pearl Masters- red glass
Old 10-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

The wave drums look cool.
I really want to get some mandalas.