DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 10-19-2010, 01:10 PM

Default NEED SOME HELP HERE! FAST!

Hi,

Okay, so some of you might know that I had a Trick Bigfoot but had to sell it. I was given a DW 9000 as a gift. A friend was stuck for a pedal on a gig so I let him use my DW and he broke the footboard. I don't really mind coz I felt they were a bit heavier than I like.

But here's the thing. I need a pedal. I can't go back to the Trick Bigfoot coz that's just too much for me now. But I've been looking around and I've found two pedals that I can get at a really good price...I know they're both good pedals...but I haven't and have no way of testing them out before hand...so if anyone has played them then please share your thoughts.

The two pedals are a SONOR GIANT STEP DOUBLE and an AXIS A12 LASER DOUBLE. Now I can get both for cheaper than usual...but I don't know which one...and what makes it harder is that there's only a 20 Euro price difference...but if the price difference was a few hundred then I'd just go with the cheaper.

So any thoughts?

Never played the Giant Step but I hear it's good. I've played the Axis As before. I like the big footboard. But I didn't feel they had much power and I didn't like that you needed all these allen keys...but all that's changed now with the new A21 laser. You can use a normal drum key and the whole idea behind the pedal is to improve the power of the stroke. That's great! But have they really done that?

Thanks for your help.

SonorPlayer
Old 10-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: NEED SOME HELP HERE! FAST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorplayer View Post
Hi,

Okay, so some of you might know that I had a Trick Bigfoot but had to sell it. I was given a DW 9000 as a gift. A friend was stuck for a pedal on a gig so I let him use my DW and he broke the footboard. I don't really mind coz I felt they were a bit heavier than I like.

But here's the thing. I need a pedal. I can't go back to the Trick Bigfoot coz that's just too much for me now. But I've been looking around and I've found two pedals that I can get at a really good price...I know they're both good pedals...but I haven't and have no way of testing them out before hand...so if anyone has played them then please share your thoughts.

The two pedals are a SONOR GIANT STEP DOUBLE and an AXIS A12 LASER DOUBLE. Now I can get both for cheaper than usual...but I don't know which one...and what makes it harder is that there's only a 20 Euro price difference...but if the price difference was a few hundred then I'd just go with the cheaper.

So any thoughts?

Never played the Giant Step but I hear it's good. I've played the Axis As before. I like the big footboard. But I didn't feel they had much power and I didn't like that you needed all these allen keys...but all that's changed now with the new A21 laser. You can use a normal drum key and the whole idea behind the pedal is to improve the power of the stroke. That's great! But have they really done that?

Thanks for your help.

SonorPlayer

GIANT STEP is a heavy feeling pedal, its beater is probably the lightest on the market, also its hoop mounting is specific to the included DOCKING STATION, which if you want to use the pedal on other drums will be a big hassle.

GIANT STEP is solid, very contemporary feeling, good pedal if your not maintenance conscious, its pretty bullet proof, though IMO the AXIS has more going for it.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:51 AM

I play the GS and agree it's a great pedal. I would add that the docking station is merely a means to quickly mount and unmount your pedal and can accommodate most (if not all) bass drum hoops. The actual station can be easily removed with a few turns of the drum key. Wish I could offer advice on the Axis Laser, but no experience there.

Good luck with your decision.

-Cheers
Old 10-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumjitsu View Post
The actual station can be easily removed with a few turns of the drum key.

-Cheers

DOCKING STATION is secured to the hoop with allen screws and its not a few turns, its a big hassle.

imagine removing the pedal, then removing docking station for another bass drum... a big piss.

OK if you play the same bass drum the rest of your life.

Attached Images

Old 10-20-2010, 01:14 PM

You say that the GIANT STEP is heavy? Heavy like the DW 9000?

Coz I'd much rather a light feel. Also, I've heard a few people say that the Giant Step is over-rated and that the 600 series pedal has a nicer feel.

Anyone know if this is true?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:47 PM

dude I've played some axis a12 singles, they are very nice, they are more powerful than the previous versions and the footboard is fairly light, I was able to get 210bpm 16th's in store after about 5mins of getting used to them which is pretty good ^.^ so i'd say go for the a12 =)
Old 10-20-2010, 04:29 PM

My bad, you're correct a few twists of the allen key...what I meant to add is if you are, in fact switching between kits frequently it can be a bit of a pain. Perhaps not enough of a reason to not consider it as an option. Besides acting as a quick release, the docking station is nice in that you reduce wear on your hoops from constant attaching and detaching of the pedal.
Regardless there are a lot of really good pedal options.

-Good luck
Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

You say that the GIANT STEP is heavy? Heavy like the DW 9000?

Coz I'd much rather a light feel. Also, I've heard a few people say that the Giant Step is over-rated and that the 600 series pedal has a nicer feel.

Anyone know if this is true?

The GIANT STEP is a heavy pedal and yes heavy like the DW 9000 The GIANT STEPS beater is the lightest beater I've ever seen, all the weight comes from the pedal.

... acting as a quick release, the docking station is nice in that you reduce wear on your hoops from constant attaching and detaching of the pedal.

DOCKING STATION works great, but its just not real world practical.