DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Gold Member

Default In Ear Monitors

Hi,
Do any of you have any hands on experience using in-ear monitors? Currently I am lugging around a Yamaha 15" monitor and getting pretty tired of it. I already downsized one of my kits. Looking for any advice, also pricing if you can.

Thanks drummers
Old 10-13-2010, 04:18 PM

Default Re: In Ear Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Hi,
Do any of you have any hands on experience using in-ear monitors? Currently I am lugging around a Yamaha 15" monitor and getting pretty tired of it. I already downsized one of my kits. Looking for any advice, also pricing if you can.

Thanks drummers
Do you have to go wireless?

My band runs it's own sound 90% of the time and our board sits right next to me on stage, so I usually run my monitor mix to my shure in-ears (shure SE115). No wireless pack needed for those situations.

When there is a sound man for the house (usually bigger venues or outdoor events, I break out the Wireless pack, unless he has a powered signal in 1/4" form that I can adapt to my phones.

In-ears are pretty crucial for me as I sing on 80% of the tunes. We also use loops and backing tracks, so having those right in my head is very effective.

Occasionally I'll have some issues with balance and stage volume, but only in certain rooms.

I'm considering upgrading to the WestOne custom molded in-ear monitors more as a comfort/convenience.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Gold Member

Hi,
No I do not have to go wireless at all. I just really need to hear the vocals more than anything else. I don't want to spend a lot if I don't have too either. Lots of our outdoor gigs sound is provided.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:54 PM

Ultimate Ears UE-10s (which I think were replaced by the new Capitol co-branded model). Flat response, tight lows and clean highs without any real mud.

I use a Shure hybrid bodypack with it, which can either take a wireless signal or a 1/4" lead.

My primary use is recording and it absolutely decimates anything I've ever used in that arena - perfect mix of isolation without feeling like your head is in a box or something. (I've never dug bug heavy phones).

Get something with a limiter on it because until you've had in-ears, you haven't experienced loud. (Since the UEs are so expensive but sound so great I listen to my ipod through them on flights as well - and I can easily listen to the iPod at 0 or 1 volume click in the terminals).

I'll also say as a really great #2, the Shure universal in-ears (SE series) can be great. Probably my second favorite sounding pair. They don't make the model I have anymore, but it was probably like the SE210s? About 80% cheaper than UEs. Great sound, comfortable for a couple hours. (I can wear the UEs for many many hours with no discomfort)
Old 10-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

I use the Ulitmate Ears Super fi 5 Pros.
Been playing live and in the studio with them for years and I have no complaints. I will never go back to a stage monitor! I didn't go wireless with them though, I have no reason to. I am sitting behind the kit the whole time, so I just got a long headphone extension cable.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 AM

Lots of IEM threads on here, go hunt.
But I use UE 10's & UE 11's. As has been said already they are great, tho expensive, but you get what you pay for with audio.

I use a Sennheiser G2 300 IEM wireless system, which I have toured the world with as a pro audio engineer, and have no complaints at all. You can pick these up at fairly reasonable prices now the G3 systems are all the rage... but if you dont need wireless - stick with a hardwired system - the audio quality is far better.