DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 09-06-2010, 07:15 PM

Default AXIS or TRICK PRO-1V or other???

been doing a little research and found these 2 pedals both have really good reviews and are made from same sorta thing etc. i really want to go with the longboard ones as i think its a great idea!

just wanted to know if any one has these or has used them and could give me some insight into whats better? Ive had a DW4000 double pedal for the last couple of years but its time to upgrade i think

thanks - Dave
Old 09-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: AXIS or TRICK PRO-1V or other???

Years ago I played the Axis - I loved it. Last year I tried the Trick and I didn't like that light-weight beater it came with. I ended up putting a DW beater in it to make it feel comfortable to me. Then I realized after a bunch of adjusting that I made this $350 pedal feel exactly like my Tama Iron Cobra Jr.'s I bought for $40 each used.

I'm still using the Iron Cobra Jr.'s.

However, both the Axis and Trick pedals are very nice. If I were to do it again, I'd lean towards the Axis. But only if I had to. I can pretty much fly on anything so I no longer feel the need to upgrade. Have you tried the Pearl Demon pedal? There's another expensive device to consider.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:07 PM

haha all expensive, i just really like the idea of a long board pedal not restricted then to being so far up the pedal at all time! been watching youtube vids about the axis and really like them and chris adler (lamb of god) played them for ages and hes a f**cking beast haha. i,ll check out the pearl ones now mate thanks - Dave
Old 09-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beany44 View Post
haha all expensive, i just really like the idea of a long board pedal not restricted then to being so far up the pedal at all time! been watching youtube vids about the axis and really like them and chris adler (lamb of god) played them for ages and hes a f**cking beast haha. i,ll check out the pearl ones now mate thanks - Dave
The nice thing I like about the Pearl stuff is that you can go into any music store and find parts, or at least be able to order Pearl parts. Like owning a Sonor kit out here in southern California, you feel a little alone when something breaks....
Old 09-08-2010, 01:15 AM

had a look but im still leaning towards the axis pedals, something about them i think i just like the look of, could be a different story when i finally get a chance to play on them tho.

thanks for the input eveyone - Dave
Old 09-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

A good extra investment should you go with the Axis pedals would be a set of allen wrenches. The whole pedal is put together with those things. If you have something go loose, it'll be an allen screw that needs tightening. More tools to carry around!

On this long board business, I have small feet so having a long board never occurred to me. Your feet must be really big!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 AM

What type of genre do you oftenly play? What techique do you use when playing double bass? I have the Axis XL-2's Longboards and i simple love them, i have big feet so that's a + for me, if your thinking of getting the AL-2's they have the "VDL" variable drive lever system. With this mechanism you can adjust the whole feel of the pedal from a hard, medium, light feel without having to touch your springs, Plus they can be turned to 2 singles which is what im doing as soon i get my other trigger. In my opinion the DD are just standard pedals for me, with Skate bearings which is good for smoothness, a shaft that is customized as well the conversion from short to longboard, and when it's converted to longboards the pedals can feel weird, but hey it's all about preferance and comfort, you have the free desicion to purchase what you consider best for you, price wise i think Axis cranked the price up on the A's that are pretty close to the demons.and Trick pedals are good as well never tried them bue ive heard there a million ways to adjust the settings on it, Good luck with the purchase! \m/
Old 09-08-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
A good extra investment should you go with the Axis pedals would be a set of allen wrenches. The whole pedal is put together with those things. If you have something go loose, it'll be an allen screw that needs tightening. More tools to carry around!

On this long board business, I have small feet so having a long board never occurred to me. Your feet must be really big!
The pedals come along with a set of Allen wrenches =)
Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Blaster View Post
The pedals come along with a set of Allen wrenches =)
So they ripped me off long ago! I never got a set of allen wrenches! CURSE AXIS!!!

;)
Old 09-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
So they ripped me off long ago! I never got a set of allen wrenches! CURSE AXIS!!!

;)
Hahaha. NO!!! Axis is the BEST! Maybe they started adding them because of suggestions from customers, or they realized they had to add that to not get more complaints :P
Old 09-08-2010, 02:14 PM

i like to think i play rock stuff with my band but i love metal so i always practise that on my own. feet are biggish but i just think its a good idea of the long boards,its a shame there's no where close to me that does them or i could go and try before i buy, it,ll be a trial and error jobby off ebay i think
Old 09-09-2010, 07:07 AM

Axis AL2 longboards are what I have. I had iron cobras, then eliminators (still have those), then I got the axis. Blow my old pedals out of the water. It takes a bit to get used to them but they are telepathic once you get the feel.

I would go with the originals, go axis. The demon drive is trying to be axis, but it seems more cheaply made, and is as expensive as the axis. They are smooth but not as fast imo. Haven't tried tricks so I can't say
Old 09-09-2010, 07:18 PM

yeah i,ll go axis i think, are they really as light as everyone says? i have a dw4000 double pedal at the moment and you have to jump on the pedal to get it to the skin haha.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
yeah i,ll go axis i think, are they really as light as everyone says? i have a dw4000 double pedal at the moment and you have to jump on the pedal to get it to the skin haha.
I think some pedal adjustment is in order. All those DW pedals play roughly the same...
Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

I have played the older style axis and they have a very floaty feel ,it does not take much to get the beater to the head,and they are a direct drive,so the feel is definitely different to me than a D.W. or Iron cobra of which I own both.The axis reminded me more of an old Camco or speed king,if I was trying to compare.I can see why some double bass players would like them especially if they like to "Dance" on their pedals.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Gold Member

How good of a deal is $290 on a 4 month old "barely used" Axis A2 double pedal?.
I found one and I might get it but I know next to nothing about Axis pedals.
What do you guys think?.
I'm gonna try to talk him down to $250.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
How good of a deal is $290 on a 4 month old "barely used" Axis A2 double pedal?.
I found one and I might get it but I know next to nothing about Axis pedals.
What do you guys think?.
I'm gonna try to talk him down to $250.
MF have them at $600 new: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...dal?sku=446352

.......less than half price for a 4 month old pedal sounds reasonable to me (providing it's in good nick).....but I'm the last person to ask on Yankee pricing.....check with Les....he's pretty well rounded with both Axis and secondary market pricing.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 AM

Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide! I had Axis before these, and although any amateuar could be "fast" on these, there was no control. Iron Cobras make you work at building your leg muscles and earn your manhood, and once you do you have way more control than those overrrated pieces of shiiiiit! And more of a definite sound due to more power ;)

My .02
reverbnation.com/vitosus
Old 10-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Gold Member

He hasent replied back so maybe its not meant to be.
I'd rather have Mapex Falcons anyway. The Axis is probably too light in feel for me.
I need something in a medium weight with alot of power and killer feel.
I'll just keep waiting and saving.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Hi everyone,
This is my first post, but I felt a burning desire to comment on my Axis LB '2's.
Had mine for 3 months, and I am a pretty light player, then 2 days ago wondered why the footplate became detached from the floorboard (at the heel pivot point). Quick investigation showed that a pretty thin threaded pin had sheared. Couldn't bear the thought of waiting ages for it to be repaired by Axis as I am in UK.
Went to a local engineers shop in the hope of some good old have a go British engineering. Luckily there were 6 guys up to their elbows in metal shavings and swarfega, said he would retap and repair both sides of my double pedal with a steel pin, that to use his words will be much better than the toytown rubbish Axis use to hold it's pedals together.
There will always be some lucky devils who have an Axis pedal and never have a problem. But look through the forums and you will see for every one of them there will be ten with gripes about them. Don't get me wrong, I love to play it and it has some great advantages, but the bits that hold the thing together are rubbish, so don't be surprised if it breaks
Old 10-12-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
He hasent replied back so maybe its not meant to be.
I'd rather have Mapex Falcons anyway. The Axis is probably too light in feel for me.
I need something in a medium weight with alot of power and killer feel.
I'll just keep waiting and saving.
Then Iron Cobra Power Glide might work for ya bud. Axis are too light, as the Iron Cobras are heavier, but still have high speed pontential if you work at it. I mean just look at Joey Jordison, Mr. Speedy, hes been known to use Iron Cobra pedals and hes pretty fast. And the beauty of it: brand new only $350. Axis brand new: like $700 lol EFF THAT!
reverbnation.com/vitosus
Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny f View Post
Hi everyone,
This is my first post, but I felt a burning desire to comment on my Axis LB '2's.
Had mine for 3 months, and I am a pretty light player, then 2 days ago wondered why the footplate became detached from the floorboard (at the heel pivot point). Quick investigation showed that a pretty thin threaded pin had sheared. Couldn't bear the thought of waiting ages for it to be repaired by Axis as I am in UK.
Went to a local engineers shop in the hope of some good old have a go British engineering. Luckily there were 6 guys up to their elbows in metal shavings and swarfega, said he would retap and repair both sides of my double pedal with a steel pin, that to use his words will be much better than the toytown rubbish Axis use to hold it's pedals together.
There will always be some lucky devils who have an Axis pedal and never have a problem. But look through the forums and you will see for every one of them there will be ten with gripes about them. Don't get me wrong, I love to play it and it has some great advantages, but the bits that hold the thing together are rubbish, so don't be surprised if it breaks

Would love to see detailed pictures of the damage and the fix.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:09 PM

Am away for for a few days but promise I will post detailed shot of the repair early next week. You guys are obviously very knowledgeable about this stuff. Those of you with Axis pedals will know that the footboard has a 2" long block of metal screwed under it at the heel end.This in turn has a small hole at each end. Into this Axis use only a 2mm threaded screw (approx) which passes through the baseplate and into the holes at each end of the block. This allows the footboard to to pivot. What amazed me was how thin the pins are (there are two pins, not one continuous one running all the way through the block) considering Axis will of course know that there will be a great big fat leg bouncing up and down on it, surely it will have been tested.
Any road up, I will shut up now as I am boring myself. but thanks for the interest and I will bore you to death next week with the result.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Gold Member

I just dont like those Trick and Axis pedals too much. they just seem odd to me and I just dont trust em. Plus, I can get a whole freakin shell pack or cymbal pack for the price of one of those.
I think I need to go more conventional like the Iron Cobras I found used and in good condition for $250.
What do you guys think?. Should I but em?.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
had a look but im still leaning towards the axis pedals, something about them i think i just like the look of, could be a different story when i finally get a chance to play on them tho.
I wouldn't drop the cash on a new one, unless you had a chance to play it first. If you bought one "used", that's a different story. You could simple re-sell it for what you paid for it, if you didn't like it. Less shipping, of course.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny f View Post
Am away for for a few days but promise I will post detailed shot of the repair early next week. You guys are obviously very knowledgeable about this stuff. Those of you with Axis pedals will know that the footboard has a 2" long block of metal screwed under it at the heel end.This in turn has a small hole at each end. Into this Axis use only a 2mm threaded screw (approx) which passes through the baseplate and into the holes at each end of the block. This allows the footboard to to pivot. What amazed me was how thin the pins are (there are two pins, not one continuous one running all the way through the block) considering Axis will of course know that there will be a great big fat leg bouncing up and down on it, surely it will have been tested.
Any road up, I will shut up now as I am boring myself. but thanks for the interest and I will bore you to death next week with the result.

By this description, I still can't determine what broke.

If you broke the heel block (#3) that would be under warranty. The heel block is set in a special LOCTITE. If you were to try and turn the heel block screws without the LOCTITE being pre-heated to 350 degrees-F you could break it.

Its set in LOCTITE so that if it ever gets slop, you just heat and tighten to factory spec.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:17 AM

Sorry Guys I am making a bit of a pigs ear of this. The pin that sheared is the one that connects the heel part of the foot board to the floor plate at the pivot point.
Your all gonna come back to me with a proper name for it now and make me look an idiot.
(Well. more than I do already)