DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM

Default Goodbye dear Trick...(my story)

Hi all,

I've had to do the one thing I never thought I would: I've sold my Trick Bigfoot double pedal.

It was nothing to do with disliking the pedal or anything like it. It was simply because we are living in hard times and I needed to come up with some cash at short notice...and it seemed to be the fastest way to get the cash. It was either that or my Byzance...and there's no way in hell I'm parting with them!

In a funny way, I really don't mind losing the pedal now that it's gone. And luck seems to be on my side because a good friend who has an endorsement with DW has a 9000 series double pedal that he's never used (live) and he gave it to me...for nothing! He had gotten into using a double...but after only a few weeks he realised that he had no real use for it. He mostly plays light rock and some blues. He's a kinda Phil Rudd everything in 4/4 'keep it bloody simple' type drummer.

Of course I'm going to take him up on the offer. I've played 9000s at the drum shop before and they felt pretty good. I'm sure I'll still be able to play in comfort and as usual. I know it's not a Trick because that thing is a tank...but Thomas Lang says on his dvd...'Don't make it about the shoe, or the pedal...it's about the foot'...or something like that.

I wonder if they hold up well over time...if you know, let me know.

Also, if Lang is right (and I'm sure he knows what he's talking about) then you have to ask yourself about pedals like Trick, Axis, etc, are they really worth the extra? I'm not knocking them I still love Trick...but is paying double the price (as I did) for a pedal really worth it? Are we being a bit lazy in expecting the pedals to half of the work for us? When we should just get a good, smooth pedal and work on our perfecting our skills?

Just some thoughts I'm putting out there. There's no right or wrong I guess but if you have any thoughts feel free to respond.

All the best,

SONORPLAYER
Old 09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Goodbye dear Trick...(my story)

I'm sure I've told this story before, but when I was on a quest for the ultimate pedal (I play a single - can't handle playing a double) I bought myself a Trick Pro-1v. For years before I played DW, Yamaha, Tama and I was able to get them all to feel pretty much identical, because like Lang, it is all in my foot. So I get the Trick and thanks to it's myriad of adjustments, I made it feel just like an old DW pedal, or the last Tama I still use today, the Iron Cobra Jr.

In my case, is it worth it to have a $350 pedal feeling just like my $45 Iron Cobra Jr.? I returned the Trick pedal and bought another Iron Cobra Jr. as a spare and with the extra $200 put tires on my wifes' car!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Also, if Lang is right (and I'm sure he knows what he's talking about) then you have to ask yourself about pedals like Trick, Axis, etc, are they really worth the extra?

OK, you're being gifted a DW 9000 double, would you be asking the same question if you ended up with a DIXION?

If you play the crap out of your double pedals, yes the good ones are worth the money, if you play a few hours a week a casually, you may be fine for years with a lesser pedal.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2010, 01:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorplayer View Post
Also, if Lang is right (and I'm sure he knows what he's talking about) then you have to ask yourself about pedals like Trick, Axis, etc, are they really worth the extra? I'm not knocking them I still love Trick...but is paying double the price (as I did) for a pedal really worth it? Are we being a bit lazy in expecting the pedals to half of the work for us? When we should just get a good, smooth pedal and work on our perfecting our skills?
A good player will make do on any kind of pedal, as long as it's functioning properly, but they will play much easier on a better pedal (or a pedal better suited to his personal technique and playing style).
Old 10-13-2010, 02:08 AM

I played a iron cobra for a few yrs. Switched to axis, axis jus feels cheap when playin too light maybe. Ordered a pair of trick pro 1-v singles and am now using 2 dw 9000 singles while I wait. The 9000's blow the axis away in adjustability, feel, smoothness and there isn't a million allan keys to lose. I would strongly recommend the Dw 9000 for any serious drummer. Such a versatile pedal. Can wait to try my tricks!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member

My outlook is, if the pedal makes you feel happy, then that's the pedal for you. Find the pedal you're most confortable with, and that's it. If you find one that works better ... later down the road ... buy it.
Whether the feeling is real. or imagined, it's your feeling ... it's your foot ... it's your playing ...
Axis, great pedal ... for some. I first saw the Axis some 16+ years ago. Played one. Didn't like it. In the time in between, I don't know how many times I've re-tried the Axis. 30. 45. 60 times. I know I've given it way more chances than liver (can't stand liver). And it still doesn't "do" it for me. So I don't own one.
When (and if) I find a pedal that makes me wanna replace my Yamaha Direct Drives, then I will.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 AM

Hate to hear about anyone who has to part with a piece of equipment they like ecspecially under the circumstances, but i play a dw 9000 and i dont think you will be dissappointed.