DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-16-2009, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
Those are some really nice sounding drums! I love the sound of your bass.
Really? I have let others hear it and they say it has too much lower midrange in the mix. Other band members say it sounds fine (especially in the mix of the song, not included) but they are not attuned to drum sounds. This current mix seems to make it sound like bigger-diameter drum. It is not the sound I am accustomed to but I do kind of like it. However, in the context of the whole song (which includes rhythm guitar, bass guitar, violin and two harmonizing vocals) it still seems a bit boomy.

Miking drums is so complex and these are especially hard to mic because of all the tones coming out of them. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member

I got four-piece fever and changed my ironwood drums from a six-piece to a four-piece setup. I have usually played on a mid-sized kit but every now and then I like to shake it up. Having fewer options and combinations is forcing me to play in new and different ways. I also went with fewer cymbals. I started with a 20 ride, 13 hats, 6 ice bell, 8 splash, 12 splash, 17 crash and 18 China (all Zildjian A Customs) but I got rid of the 12splash, the ice bell and the China.

I think the square size toms and tube lugs give it a bit of a steampunk flair. The bass drum is 18 inches and all of the drums are in square sizes, except the snare, with is 13 by 4.

In the music room.

Closer view.

Close-up of up tom with the flash turned off. I use a snare stand to hold the tom up. The little Chinese dude on front hoop is a bass drum buddy.

A closer view. It is much easier to move - the set is on a third floor, so less is better in terms of moving it.

From behind and above.

Elevated view from the front.

Looking down from the front. To conserve space and hardware, I stacked the 8 splash on top of the 17 crash.

A view of the up tom taken with flash. The badge is branded onto the shell with a hot iron.

From the side. I swapped a cymbal mount on a ball from the tom mount on a ball.

The 8- and 10-inch toms are mounted on a stand with the 12 splash and China.

A closer view of the stand. It's fun just to play them separately, like a cocktail set kind of.

The ironwood is gorgeous in natural light.

Last edited by Deathmetalconga; 03-07-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Big_Philly

Every now and then the 4-piece bug just strikes out of nowhere - I know the feeling. I wonder if guys like Terry Bozzio and Mike portnoy get that same thing from time to time though...
What's with the heads on the 8" and 10" toms? There seems to be some wrinkling on them - is that normal for Fyberskin heads when they get older?
Old 03-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Every now and then the 4-piece bug just strikes out of nowhere - I know the feeling. I wonder if guys like Terry Bozzio and Mike portnoy get that same thing from time to time though...
What's with the heads on the 8" and 10" toms? There seems to be some wrinkling on them - is that normal for Fyberskin heads when they get older?
Yeah, that's something that Fiberskyns do. They have fibers of plastic pressed together to mimic the cellular structure of real hide. However, as these heads wear, they tend to deliminate and I pull off the bubbled layers as needed. Underneath is a Diplomat, Ambassador or Emperor head.

Coated heads wear out their coating. Each kind of head wears out in its own way.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I would have actually preferred a 20 inch bass drum, but those are extremely hard to get, even by Spirit Drum standards. The logs must be 22 inches, which means they literally weigh tons if you can find them. But even the 18 inch drum sounds resonant, thick and punchy.
Does that mean that one wouldn't be able to order a double-bass kit?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Crazy8s

Thats a seriously stylin kit DMC! Subtly styled but ingeniuosly designed! Undersized shells? May I ask what style of bearing edge and diameter of the shell?

Those are masterfully designed for ultimate sound capability. Awesome!

Love the pedal set up too! So much versatility! Spirit Drums website has some very tasty sound files too! The ironwood definitely speaks! Australia has such amazing trees!

c8s

Last edited by Crazy8s; 07-02-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Crazy8s

I use a lot of pedals too... Though my personal BD and Toms are just plain old Kellers, 5ply toms, 8 ply bass. Had em a long time I can't wait to hear a kit like yours in person! Maybe I can get some ironwood veneers someday. I wonder if something so dense comes in veneer. gonna look it up.!!

Here's the pilot seat of my kit. (I know, I need a better camera pronto....)
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
They do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKG2xylOkdU
If you look at this, Terry explains he has played jazz on a small jazz kit.
Mike Portnoy plays all of his side projects on smaller kits, and he had done his Beatles tribute on a Ringo kit.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
I use a lot of pedals too... Though my personal BD and Toms are just plain old Kellers, 5ply toms, 8 ply bass. Had em a long time I can't wait to hear a kit like yours in person! Maybe I can get some ironwood veneers someday. I wonder if something so dense comes in veneer. gonna look it up.!!

Here's the pilot seat of my kit. (I know, I need a better camera pronto....)
Wow, I really dig the pedals there. I also love leopard print finishes. Do you have a thread for your set? I will stop by there.

You might want to use a simple photo editing program, like Windows Picture Manager, to lighten up the photo and show more of the pedals. Looks like you have a hi hat, bass, tambourine and something else I can't identify.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Love the minimalist setup, buddy! Welcome to the club. ;)
Old 07-05-2010, 03:18 AM
Crazy8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Wow, I really dig the pedals there. I also love leopard print finishes. Do you have a thread for your set? I will stop by there.

You might want to use a simple photo editing program, like Windows Picture Manager, to lighten up the photo and show more of the pedals. Looks like you have a hi hat, bass, tambourine and something else I can't identify.
Its a lousy camera, and it recently went kaput on me. :(

For pedals, its an Axis A double with a longboard on the left side, normal on the right.

The far left pedal is a Tama pedal with a Terry Bozzio beater that has a pair of finger cymbals threaded on it that strikes a jamblock which simulataneously sounds the tamborine. The longboard slave is next, then inside that is an Axis hihat stand with a shortboard. To the right of the main kick pedal is a DW5500 hihat stand clamped to the BD with a pair of 12" hats on them. (12" AA splash on top of a cut down 16" Sabian Metal AAX.)

I'll probably start a thread about the kit soon. Lots of stuff hiding in there, but still looks basic.

:)
Old 07-12-2010, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
Thats a seriously stylin kit DMC! Subtly styled but ingeniuosly designed! Undersized shells? May I ask what style of bearing edge and diameter of the shell?

Those are masterfully designed for ultimate sound capability. Awesome!

Love the pedal set up too! So much versatility! Spirit Drums website has some very tasty sound files too! The ironwood definitely speaks! Australia has such amazing trees!

c8s
The shells are 8, 10, 12, 14 and 18 bass, all square sizes. The snare is 13 by 4. The wood is a half-inch thick and the bearing edges are 45 degree tapered, with a fairly sharp edge.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Love the minimalist setup, buddy! Welcome to the club. ;)
HA! I like the way it forces me to play. I have been trying to learn "The Art of Bop Drumming" and something about a four-piece really puts you in that frame of mind.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Silver Member

I have a few questions:

I wonder if it is possible to order a double bass kit from Spirit Drums?

What brand are you using for the clamp that you attached to the rims mounts?

and why do you go with square with all of the toms?...mostly the lower toms are square for other drummers, they must really some bite in their sound when you hit them hard.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Some updated photos of the four-piece. To conserve stands and equipment, I went back to my habit of stacking cymbals.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

DMC, your kit remains a thing of great beauty.

Maybe a dumb question, but what are those circular images on your music stand? Are they brush stroke diagrams?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Truly great looking stuff DMC. How do you find the fibreskin heads? I remember using one as a batter on a lovely wood snare I had, back in the day. I imagine they partner really well with your woody organic kit vibe. I'm starting my journey to a second kit. Something very woody & controversial, so I'm very interested in the concept. I'm guessing they really focus on the fundamental tone. I like that, but do they still offer enough attack & cut?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
DMC, your kit remains a thing of great beauty.

Maybe a dumb question, but what are those circular images on your music stand? Are they brush stroke diagrams?
Thank you for the nice comments. Do you have a kit thread? Maybe I've seen it but I don't recall.

Yes, those are brush stroke diagrams. The book is The Art of Bop Drumming.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
HAHA! Reminds me of a thread I started to collect funny advertising terms about instruments. Were you around then? Got deleted in the last Off-Topic Lounge holocaust.

I noticed an ad once for a snare drum that had "crowd-cutting backbeats." I thought it was strange, the idea of assaulting your audience, so me and my band mates have been coming up with others like:

"Sternum-crushing bass"

"Audience-decapitating cymbal crashes"

"Stool-softening tom fills"

"Ear-impaling rim shots"

"Nose-hair-curling tabla solos"

"Divorce-triggering volume"

"Aura-bleaching sitar solos"

Now we can add ""Cornfield-leveling sound output" and "Rodent-exterminating volume."

People added a bunch more and I wish I still had the list.

www.terrasonus.com
Hmm...... this definitely calls for a new category of posts in the "Humour" section. I'm surprised there isn't anny about drummers' humour on this site.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDriver View Post
I have a few questions:

I wonder if it is possible to order a double bass kit from Spirit Drums?

What brand are you using for the clamp that you attached to the rims mounts?

and why do you go with square with all of the toms?...mostly the lower toms are square for other drummers, they must really some bite in their sound when you hit them hard.
Sorry it too me so long to respond.

As far as a double bass kit, I don't even know if they are still in business, but it is worth a try. I assume they will sell you whatever they have on hand.

The RIMS clamp is a DW model. I prefer DW hardware.

I like square drums as it gives a beefy, full sound. The shells are about a half-inch thick and very heavy, giving more attack and definiation, while the deeper shells add warmth.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Truly great looking stuff DMC. How do you find the fibreskin heads? I remember using one as a batter on a lovely wood snare I had, back in the day. I imagine they partner really well with your woody organic kit vibe. I'm starting my journey to a second kit. Something very woody & controversial, so I'm very interested in the concept. I'm guessing they really focus on the fundamental tone. I like that, but do they still offer enough attack & cut?
Yes Mr. Death, you still haven't answered mine either. Really interested in your thoughts on the Fibreskin heads as above. Cheers, KIS.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Wow!! I believe wich drum with solid shell must have sound spectacular.

Congratulations for you and your kit
Old 11-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Yes Mr. Death, you still haven't answered mine either. Really interested in your thoughts on the Fibreskin heads as above. Cheers, KIS.
OK, here is more on the Fiberskyns. Because they are thicker, they are not quite as responsive, but on the other hand, there are fewer overtones coming out of the head to diffuse the sound, so they are more focused. Since there are fewer overtones coming out of the heads, you hear more coming out of the shell and the amazing ironwood. Thinner heads, like Ambassadors, sound too bright on this set, with not enough focus. Does all that make sense?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:01 PM

wowow that kit is nice
Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 PM

Wow, that really is one fine lookin kit, very unique. You gotta post some of your playing on it, i would love to hear how it sounds
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
Wow, that really is one fine lookin kit, very unique. You gotta post some of your playing on it, i would love to hear how it sounds
Here you go, a few tracks. Two were recorded on a Yamaha Pocketrak 300 and one in a studio, just the drum track of a song.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Spirit set greasy swing.MP3 (1.77 MB, 175 views)
File Type: mp3 Double bass 1.MP3 (1.90 MB, 167 views)
File Type: mp3 Red Dragon drum track 1.mp3 (5.14 MB, 151 views)
Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego Costa View Post
Wow!! I believe wich drum with solid shell must have sound spectacular.

Congratulations for you and your kit
Thanks! I have heard many good things about RMV drums too.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Those are some really nice sounding drums! I love the sound of your bass.
I got some really great advice from MFB about how to improve the EQing and sound on the recording. The sound engineer is a drummer with a fabulous studio but he is learning the intricacies of miking drums and MFB is providing some great guidance.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny433 View Post
I got some really great advice from MFB about how to improve the EQing and sound on the recording. The sound engineer is a drummer with a fabulous studio but he is learning the intricacies of miking drums and MFB is providing some great guidance.
Mediocrefunkybeat advised myself and the sound engineer on the recording these drums. He is a wealth of knowledge about such things.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:51 AM
Gold Member

So humour me, each drum is carved solid directly out of each log? So no steam bending, no plys? They must have a way to cut the log out like a giant hole saw, or else the waste would be phenominal. I believe over here in North America, ironwood is very expensive. On my local woodworking site, a guy brought a one foot by one foot block back from jamaica, he paid $10 for that piece.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
So humour me, each drum is carved solid directly out of each log? So no steam bending, no plys? They must have a way to cut the log out like a giant hole saw, or else the waste would be phenominal. I believe over here in North America, ironwood is very expensive. On my local woodworking site, a guy brought a one foot by one foot block back from jamaica, he paid $10 for that piece.
You are correct, these are milled from solid logs. The wood in the shells is exactly as it was in the living tree. There is no bending involved in the manufacture; I honestly do not believe this wood could be bent or shaved into plies.

They have a way of taking concentric shells from the interior of the log, so one section will produce a bass drum and a couple of toms. They use a giant metal lathe for finishing. The wood pretty much destroys saw blades on contact. This ironwood has a specific gravity of 1.2 - it is 20 percent heavier than water and the shells sink.

The main risk of this manufacturing technique is warping, splitting and cracking. Ironwood is extremely dry and even when freshly cut, it has a lower moisture content than many seasoned woods, so it is structurally very stable. But I sometimes have bad dreams where I find the shells split - seriously. So I check them all the time. These are the kind of drums that appear regularly in dreams.

Erythrophleum chlorostachys grows in a very harsh, dry climate. As you know, basically in Australia everything is more badass so there are termites the size of your index finger. These trees have to be indestructible to survive. If my house burned down, these shells would survive. This wood grows very slowly and these drums were fashioned from a tree that grew to about 20 inches in diameter over 350 years. This set was finished in 2006 and the wood was cut, then cured and seasoned for a few years before that.

Yes, they are expensive. I forget now but I itemize it all in a previous post in this thread. This is the last drumset I will ever own and I view myself as the first in a long line of its caretakers.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for posting, here is a link to my woodworking site. it shows a guy cutting up the ironwood to make knife handles, pretty interesting. Does ironwood grow in jamaaica also or did this guy export an import?

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...og-into-lumber
Old 05-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
Thanks for posting, here is a link to my woodworking site. it shows a guy cutting up the ironwood to make knife handles, pretty interesting. Does ironwood grow in jamaaica also or did this guy export an import?

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...og-into-lumber
"Ironwood" is a generic term referring to any extremely hard, dense wood with a density close to that of water.

Great photos and discussion on that link. Apparently Lignum Vitae, the hardest of all known woods, grows in Jamaica. It has a specific gravity of 1.37 as I recall (it is 1.37 times as dense as water), compared to my puny Cooktown ironwood at 1.22 and maple at 0.65. By comparison, steel has a specific gravity of nearly 8 and gold is almost 20.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstandyourfunk View Post
Hmm...... this definitely calls for a new category of posts in the "Humour" section. I'm surprised there isn't anny about drummers' humour on this site.
Yeah, I think those over-the-top descriptions would be nice. I see some in actual drumming advertisements.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Gold Member

What kind of music do you play?
Personally, for me the drums (with all the percussion laying around) doesn't match the bright Zilly's (soundwise, that is...). :)

Have you thought of checking Meinl Byzance out? ;)
Old 01-05-2012, 03:32 AM
Platinum Member

this thing is still an absolute beast
Old 01-15-2012, 04:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
this thing is still an absolute beast
HA! Yes, it is very heavy. The shells will sink in water.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
What kind of music do you play?
Personally, for me the drums (with all the percussion laying around) doesn't match the bright Zilly's (soundwise, that is...). :)

Have you thought of checking Meinl Byzance out? ;)
I play a lot of word beat, Klezmer, some bebop and anything out of the ordinary.

You have a point about the cymbals. After playing A Customs for six years, I would like something darker.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Another view of the kit in my music room.

Name:  Corner SWr.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  254.5 KB
Old 05-16-2013, 06:11 AM

Love that kit, the lugs really compliment that gorgeous wood