DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Gold Member

Default Replacing stock/original DW heads with...

Hey drum crew,

In the near future, I will be replacing the original heads that came with my DW collector series. I am considering buying the same ones by Remo without the DW emblem. I think they are the REMO single ply Ambassador heads (stripe for toms, coated for snare?).

My 1st question would be if anyone knows if that is the correct Remo model name?
I need the model name for the snare head (coated?) and toms (stripe).
If that is the right name, I guess Musicians Friend does not stock them??

Also, I would appreciate any suggestions for alternative heads. I like my snare (14 x 5 1/2 maple) to have a nice pop to it, not too dampened or muffled. If it matters, I play a lot of alternative and Christan Rock. My HH's are Newbeats and A Mastersounds. Other Cymbals are A customs.
As always, any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2010, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Replacing stock/original DW heads with...

The coated/clear on your toms is a head made exclusively for DW by Remo. You'd need to order the DW branded head if you wanted the exact same head you've got now.

Otherwise it's a clear ambassador. You could approximate the tiny bit of muffling the coat gives the head with a tiny(!) piece of gaffer's tape if the difference was really audible to you.

DW snares are coated ambassador.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Replacing stock/original DW heads with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonson View Post
The coated/clear on your toms is a head made exclusively for DW by Remo. You'd need to order the DW branded head if you wanted the exact same head you've got now.

Otherwise it's a clear ambassador. You could approximate the tiny bit of muffling the coat gives the head with a tiny(!) piece of gaffer's tape if the difference was really audible to you.

DW snares are coated ambassador.
Cool - Thanks Chonson!

Was just wondering what others were using to replace these heads and still get close to the same pitch. The GC guy told me they were SINGLE PLY's and CRIMP - LOCKED.
I like the tone on the toms right now, just slightly dampened.

Though the stock DW remo snare batter requires a little bit of moon gel / gaffer's tape / cloth.

Would also appreciate other Remo alternatives to avoid the tape, dampener rings etc. for the Toms and Snare.

I'm getting a quote from GC since they can order them and I appreciate your info. I will use your input to compare prices.
If they vary greatly, I'll go standard remo's and check my garage for some gaffer's tape!

Any other input would be appreciated, as well, as always!

Thanks!