DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Meg White

I don't want to read this whole thread. Who's Meg White?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:01 AM

Bo: She's the boring drummer for the White Stripes (unless you are being cheeky with your question).
Old 09-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

I was being slightly cheeky. I really didn't want to go back through 6 pages of this thread to find out who she was. She must be somebody if everybody's been talking about her for that long.

But I've never heard of her (I admit I'm not as up-to-speed on what's popular out there). I'll give her a listen. If you're correct and she's boring, then she must be great for the band she's in, eh?

Charlie Watts could be considered boring, too. But then again, it's about the music those guys make!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

Bo, I recommend that you start your Megucation here: Icky Thump

:)
Old 09-05-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I was being slightly cheeky. I really didn't want to go back through 6 pages of this thread to find out who she was. She must be somebody if everybody's been talking about her for that long.

But I've never heard of her (I admit I'm not as up-to-speed on what's popular out there). I'll give her a listen. If you're correct and she's boring, then she must be great for the band she's in, eh?

Charlie Watts could be considered boring, too. But then again, it's about the music those guys make!
Bo: Some admire her for her simple, rock-steady beats. She just plays to the groove, compliments the beat. Charlie Watts is actually a fairly good comparison, though Watts can, I believe, play jazz and other styles.

From what I have seen, Meg is fairly limited in her abilities. Some like her a lot and praise her approach to the drums, while some claim that she is just about as (below) average as they come. Polly's link to "Icky Thump" is a perfect example: some folks like her basic, hard rock groove, but I know many who think that this indie rock approach to drumming is something that an average seven-year-old kid could play. Just messily slap your snare on 2 and 4, ride the crash cymbal (which is, I think, the most awful contribution that indie music has made to current drum playing--for example, just YouTube Phattie Drums, OCDP Drums, SJC Drums and the like, and you'll find plenty of videos of indie-dressed kids with their candy-colored drum kits playing loud, playing basic, and riding the crash cymbals 'til the cows yawn their way home), etc., etc.

It is really up to you, I think. Evaluating drummers and popular music is a very tricky field.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlarkKent View Post
Bo: Some admire her for her simple, rock-steady beats. She just plays to the groove, compliments the beat. Charlie Watts is actually a fairly good comparison, though Watts can, I believe, play jazz and other styles.

From what I have seen, Meg is fairly limited in her abilities. Some like her a lot and praise her approach to the drums, while some claim that she is just about as (below) average as they come. It is really up to you, I think. Evaluating drummers and popular music is a very tricky field.
Well, I'll check it out. I'm sure she doesn't need my evaluation. I just kinda' see people play and if my foot is tapping, then I'm slightly moved. If I really like the tune, I might just buy it.

Believe me, I've seen music acts come and go in the last 30 years. The way I see it, if you can actually make some kind of career out of playing your instrument, more power to ya'! If it ends up being a short time, or a long time, at least you did it. And really, any gig playing my drums is way better than my regular job (which is actually quite a good gig too)!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Well, I'll check it out. I'm sure she doesn't need my evaluation. I just kinda' see people play and if my foot is tapping, then I'm slightly moved. If I really like the tune, I might just buy it.

Believe me, I've seen music acts come and go in the last 30 years. The way I see it, if you can actually make some kind of career out of playing your instrument, more power to ya'! If it ends up being a short time, or a long time, at least you did it. And really, any gig playing my drums is way better than my regular job (which is actually quite a good gig too)!
I hear you on this point! Part of me really agrees with more power to the folks who can just get people up and grooving, and who are able to make a career out of it. Then, there is the part of me that can get annoyed with the celebration of mediocre (or worse) talent. But then again, that has more to do with popular culture, the music industry, and what Theodor Adorno calls the "Culture Industry."
Old 09-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I hear you on this point! Part of me really agrees with more power to the folks who can just get people up and grooving, and who are able to make a career out of it. Then, there is the part of me that can get annoyed with the celebration of mediocre (or worse) talent. But then again, that has more to do with popular culture, the music industry, and what Theodor Adorno calls the "Culture Industry."
Yeah, it depends on how "muso" you wanna be about it. I was that way in college: we analyzed everything to death and argued about so-and-so playing with so-and-so - like if it was going to be some kind of football game or something. And then you grow up and actually go out into the real world and discover that, really, dude, you're here to sell the beer...

People call it out selling out, like that's an easy thing to do! When you know what you don't want to do to keep that place you live in with food in it, doing anything with your drums is a much better alternative!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I know many who think that this indie rock approach to drumming is something that an average seven-year-old kid could play. Just messily slap your snare on 2 and 4, ride the crash cymbal
Klark, I'd say those who think that are either non-musicians or inexperienced. Any drummer can play like Meg does in Icky Thump IF they:

1) play the correct notes ... in time (harder than it looks - ask any guitarist lol)

2) hold the tempo steady - not speeding or slowing (harder than it looks - ask any guitarist lol lol)

3) maintain consistent volumes throughout the kit - expecially backbeats and kick

4) stay tuned to Jack White regularly switching arrangements on a whim at gigs - and come back in after long refrains confidently, accurately and with a bang

5) have a fair degree of control of all of the above through every song of every gig, day after day, year after year

6) have a great sounding and well-tuned kit and be capable of drawing those sounds out of the kit.

They are big IFs since most non-pros cannot tick all those boxes. I listened to the recordings of our last band practice and I sped up noticeably in three songs and I've been playing for eons. Most non-pros are so busy trying to do impressive drummerish things that they miss those fundamentals, which are musts to play at a pro level.

Certainly the only 7-year olds who might be able to do it are YouTube prodigies who can also play everything that Charlie and Phil can do as well - not to mention drum a lot of DW members under the table :)
Old 09-05-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
I was that way in college: we analyzed everything to death and argued about so-and-so playing with so-and-so - like if it was going to be some kind of football game or something. And then you grow up and actually go out into the real world and discover that, really, dude, you're here to sell the beer...
Bo, this is a brilliant way of putting it! Hilarious and true at the same time!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bo, this is a brilliant way of putting it! Hilarious and true at the same time!
Trust me. I didn't have to think about that one. I've been in countless projects that have been fired because we didn't keep everyone dancing and drinking. It makes so much sense to me now, and it's funny when all those 20-somethings figure it out just as I did.

Nobody cares about what drums you have. They certainly don't want to know there's strife within the band on the stage. Your job is to make them happy and keep 'em in the venue drinking. Once the bar stops making money, you're out of a gig!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Trust me. I didn't have to think about that one. I've been in countless projects that have been fired because we didn't keep everyone dancing and drinking. It makes so much sense to me now, and it's funny when all those 20-somethings figure it out just as I did.

Nobody cares about what drums you have. They certainly don't want to know there's strife within the band on the stage. Your job is to make them happy and keep 'em in the venue drinking. Once the bar stops making money, you're out of a gig!
I just think your comment is so true on a much larger level. Especially in the USA, college is one of the last bastions where intellectual discourse, freedom, and experiment can happen, and even this reality is starting to disappear.

All of us--teachers, workers, artists, etc.--are, in the name of political accountability, just being told, "You are here to sell the beer." A brilliant summation of what consumer culture has done to our society and education systems.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Bo, I recommend that you start your Megucation here: Icky Thump

:)
Hey Pol,

So I've checked out this White Stripe business on YouTube. It's amazing how disconnected I am to what's going on.

Yes, I've seen them before! Kinda' reminded me more of the 5, 6, 7, 8's (which I think I like better, hell the vocals are about the same). Then I saw a band called the Hot Rats which also do the guitar and drum thing. Not sure if I like the format, but hey, if the kids are buying it, what the hell do I know? Maybe I'll find me a guitar player and do the same thing. That'd be only one guy to pay!

Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey Pol,

So I've checked out this White Stripe business on YouTube. It's amazing how disconnected I am to what's going on.

Yes, I've seen them before! Kinda' reminded me more of the 5, 6, 7, 8's (which I think I like better, hell the vocals are about the same). Then I saw a band called the Hot Rats which also do the guitar and drum thing. Not sure if I like the format, but hey, if the kids are buying it, what the hell do I know? Maybe I'll find me a guitar player and do the same thing. That'd be only one guy to pay!

Thanks for the tip!
I know what you mean. I usually prefer more variety of sound. The way Jack and Meg play means the focus is heavily thrown on the lyrics, the vocal expression and the overall vibe ... there's not much else to be found but it works because those three things are always happening.

There'd be some good things about being in a two piece band as a player, though ... fewer egos, personalities and itineraries to juggle, compact and easy to organise, less gear and very easy to have a cohesive and clear direction because only two people's tastes need to be catered to.

The worst thing is it would be hard to make it work.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I know what you mean. I usually prefer more variety of sound. The way Jack and Meg play means the focus is heavily thrown on the lyrics, the vocal expression and the overall vibe ... there's not much else to be found but it works because those three things are always happening.

There'd be some good things about being in a two piece band as a player, though ... fewer egos, personalities and itineraries to juggle, compact and easy to organise, less gear and very easy to have a cohesive and clear direction because only two people's tastes need to be catered to.

The worst thing is it would be hard to make it work.
I used to play with this one guitarist who possessed an Octave pedal and was able to fatten up his sound by adding an octave below what he was playing, so we used to do these duets in a bar when we weren't playing along with MIDI sequences. It was very cool, but it's hard to duplicate if the guitarist doesn't play very well. The guy I played with played great, he just didn't sing very well.

And there's this "cheap factor" vibe I got when I saw only two people playing. When someone says "I've hired a band", I expect to see at least three people on stage. Two people are just a duet. And if one of them is playing drums, there doesn't need to be a whole lot of communication going on - one is supplying beats and the other this din. It could be totally made up on the spot and nobody would know. Having at least a bass player at least gives us root notes to hear and helps to complete the chords that are flying from the midrange guitar.

For some reason, when I see the Police headlining arenas, that seems correct. If it was just two people, I don't think it would ever go beyond a big theater, eh?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And there's this "cheap factor" vibe I got when I saw only two people playing. When someone says "I've hired a band", I expect to see at least three people on stage. Two people are just a duet. And if one of them is playing drums, there doesn't need to be a whole lot of communication going on - one is supplying beats and the other this din. It could be totally made up on the spot and nobody would know. Having at least a bass player at least gives us root notes to hear and helps to complete the chords that are flying from the midrange guitar.

For some reason, when I see the Police headlining arenas, that seems correct. If it was just two people, I don't think it would ever go beyond a big theater, eh?
Normally yeah, but it depends on the two people and a great deal on the songwriting and vocals. The WS somehow struck a chord with people so the band/duo does play major venues. A duo will have to work hard to keep audiences entertained for a whole show.

What's fascinating for me about the WS is that they are just a duo with a drummer playing a minimalist style. Basically Jack provides almost all the music and Meg adds drum vibe and, of course, extra interest for those who are right into your avatars :)

The Police are so different - Sting provides the songs, Andy Summers adds the atmosphere and Stewie at the back is almost a one-man entertainment machine. Lot of ways to skin a cat but the tricky part is finding that chemistry of musicians, both musically and personally.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
for example, just YouTube Phattie Drums, OCDP Drums, SJC Drums and the like, and you'll find plenty of videos of indie-dressed kids with their candy-colored drum kits playing loud, playing basic, and riding the crash cymbals 'til the cows yawn their way home), etc., etc.
Actually, if you youtube "Phattie Drums", you'll find select videos from touring professionals laying down some funky grooves and solos, and a bunch of product videos from the lighted kits/carved snares/etc. People seem to think Phattie's are one of these "scene" companies, but in reality that's not who's buying/touring/recording on the drums. I'm not trying to be an arse, but that isn't what you see when searching youtube for phattie drums.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 PM

Hooray for Meg White! I have taught her beats to many happy students. She's the prefect drummer for the White Stripes. Raw and powerful.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:58 PM

Reading posts praising the white stripes really scares me as a musician. Their live sound is very average. Megs drumming skills are basic at best. Her singing is aweful. People say her "awesome" drumming fits with the bands sound. What a crock. As many skilled drummers on this forum would know, you don't have play complicated beats to groove. She does not groove.
This is where the music industry is just so wrong. There are so many great bands around the place that play to almost empty rooms, yet bands like the white stripes play on the big stage to massive crowds and probably make a fortune from it. I read a post earlier saying her style is a bit like Charlie Watts. Seriously, Charlie's drumming skills are like Buddy Rich compared to Meg. If she was a fat ugly chic, no one would even know of them. Next thing Meg will be listed in the drummers on Drummerworld. Oh hang on, I had better check that she is not already.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Oh shock horror, I checked out the top 500 drummers list on DW and there she is. That list has no credibility with me now, especially with the millions of excellent drummers around the world. What has the drummerWORLD come to?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Bloomer View Post
Reading posts praising the white stripes really scares me as a musician. Their live sound is very average. Megs drumming skills are basic at best. Her singing is aweful. People say her "awesome" drumming fits with the bands sound. What a crock. As many skilled drummers on this forum would know, you don't have play complicated beats to groove. She does not groove.
This is where the music industry is just so wrong. There are so many great bands around the place that play to almost empty rooms, yet bands like the white stripes play on the big stage to massive crowds and probably make a fortune from it.
I don't think anyone here said Meg had "awesome" drumming skills. You're just making that up, aren't you?

And the WS represent what's wrong with the industry? I always thought live music - even *eek!* minimalistic live music played by an *ugh!* untrained woman - was better for the scene than drum machines, sequencers, DJs and gaming machines reducing musicians' opportunities ... if the popularity of simple grunge blues like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fM2qhG8mA4 is what's wrong with the industry I'll eat my hat.

Meg being voted in the top 500 drummers is pretty funny, though. I expect that she thinks so too. Anyone who lets themselves get upset about Top X lists is going to spend a lot of time being annoyed IMO - they're always nonsense.

Last edited by Pollyanna; 09-13-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:09 PM

I don't know if anyone on this site said she has awesome skills, but plenty on the youtube videos of the white stripes reckon she has. Not only does she sound like an amatuer, she looks very amatuerish with her style. There are some extremely talented female drummers around, and Meg ain't one of them. I know its not her fault everyone seems to put her up on a pedistal, but it just shows how shallow and musically lame a lot of the general public are. Maybe I have turned into a grouchy old bugger, but I know good musicians when I hear them, no matter what style of music they are playing. Even if I dislike a particular style, I can still admire talent.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Thing is, LB, what Meg plays works because that's how the whole thing is designed - it's just a post-punk sensibility, choosing expression over being impressive. The rawness is all part of the charm - and the band does have charm, which is why heaps of people love the WS.

It comes down to not letting lack of skill stop you from expressing yourself. This translates to kids being encouraged to play, thinking "Hey, I can do that!" ... and then once they can do that, some will go on to more advanced stuff. I'd rather that than drum machines. Some young 'uns may well get carried away on YouTube and say that Meg's the most bestest most awesomest drummer in the whole world but we all know about the QC of YouTube comments :)

I don't care about musical talent anywhere near as much as I care about the aural candy. I don't need musicians to be admirable, I just want them to please me. Most bands I enjoy have admirable skillsets, but not all ...

I loved reading Herman Hesse's deep and brilliant Steppenwolf and Siddhatha, but at the same time I also love Anita Blake Vampire Hunter trash erotica horror ... and at the same time I find great appeal in both Mahivishnu Orchestra and The White Stripes.

Yeah, I think you're probably becoming a grouchy old bugger, but I get grumpy too, what with aches and pains, being unable to do all I used to do, wrinkles, less energy - we've earned the right to be grouchy :)
Old 09-14-2010, 01:54 PM

I realize everyone has their own tastes in music, and I enjoy many styles. I play in a couple of decent blues bands that have some awesome musicians in them. I also play in a band that does top 40 covers from the last 4 decades from Led Zepplin to John Mayer and I really enjoy that as well. I was brought up on jazz. I have tried to see what the fuss about the white stripes is for the last couple of days, and I as a musician think they are ordinary at best and some of it terrible. I have been in particular watching the live stuff, as this gives you a true indication of how good a band is. I went to see Jeff Beck and his band last year, plus Steeley Dan, and was blown away by the skills and tightness of them. My late father, was a very talented saxaphone player, and in fact was always the first to be called when the big international performers like Sammy Davis Jr etc came to my city, to play in their orchestras. He used to get so angry and frustrated how most of the skillfull musicians around the world were often overshadowed by low skilled ones that could portray an image. I now know how he felt. I truly think that when music videos became an essential part of the music world, ordinary music skills became acceptable to the general public as they want to be visually and sexually stimulated. Thank god there are still plenty of awesome musicions out there for some of us to aspire to, and drive us to improve our skills even if only for self satisfaction.
I think I had better take a bex now and lay down.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Bloomer View Post
He used to get so angry and frustrated how most of the skillfull musicians around the world were often overshadowed by low skilled ones that could portray an image. I now know how he felt. I truly think that when music videos became an essential part of the music world, ordinary music skills became acceptable to the general public as they want to be visually and sexually stimulated.
Agreed .
Old 09-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

Yep ok, LB, it's confirmed that you're a grouchy old bugger and the condition was hereditary :)

As long as I've been alive, skill has never been a determinant for popularity. I remember when Tony Orlando and Dawn's Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree was No1 and Jud Strunk's Daisy a Day was No 2 in the Top 40. That was 1973, when these albums were released ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_in...lbums_released

LOL ... I mean, the world bought more of that shit than Miles ... the world is absurd, it always has been absurd and always will be. Justice only exists as a happy accident.

As an old fart I'd rather kids take up drums and play approachable WS covers in the garage than sit behind their PC and do stuff like this ... trouble is, their neighbours probably won't.

Whatever, I enjoy a number of WS tunes and couldn't give a rat's posterior how talented or otherwise they are, so I listen to the studio versions rather than the live ones because I prefer it. Their live shows are popular so they probably generate a good vibe that doesn't translate to recordings.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:12 PM

I guess things like guitar hero etc are good ways to ruin the music industry too, as it allows people to falsely believe they can play an instrument when they can't. Everyone wants to be a star but most arent prepared to do the work that is required, so ways are invented to make you feel like one when you are not. What about the world championship for air guitar? What the hell is that all about? Maybe white stripes aren't that bad after all.
I get so much enjoyment from playing and listening to music and I listen to every instrument in the band (including the vocalist). I am sure most of the general public only hear the surface of the sound. They are missing the real beauty of music. I kinda feel sorry for them.
P.S. I won't listening to any more white stripes.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 PM

Skill says nothing about one's musicality. It is just a indication that a musician can, if needed, use his/hers instrument to it's full potential. If with few skills you can still make good music, you're no less of a musician than a extremely well skilled musician who's only capable of playing the instrument fast with no 'feel'.

Meg White is good. Not bad, not amazing either, just good. She does what's needed and nothing more. And she does that well. I won't list her in my top 10 though. Not just because of her elledged lack of skill, but also because her drum compositions are too simple for me to be inspiring. Still I won't call her bad, because her work with the White Stripes fits the music fine.

I know of many, many drummers who play as basic and simplistic as she does, but do not nearily get the same amount of bashing she gets. Funny, 'cause I am usually front in line to (constructively!) critisize those musicians for underplaying.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:14 AM

You can play simplistically and still create a nice groove. I don't think Meg has been taught that. Maybe Jack doesn't want her to get too good, in case she steals all the limelight. I also never said you need to display massive chops to be a great drummer. I would rather hear a really solid drummer laying down a great groove than one that is trying to get as many double kicks and hand strokes as possible into a measure.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

The White Stripes are one of the most influential rock bands of the past 10 years, and I think deservedly so. I find them a hugely refreshing break from the copycat, over-produced sounds that have been coming from the "industry" in the Auto-Tune era. Sometimes I want to hear the raw, gut-bucket, garage sound. Their appeal is like punk's appeal in a lot of ways; in a lot of ways, punk and garage rock are about the band sounding kind of crappy. Meg is simple and sloppy and it is part of the sound of the band, and I like it.

My favorite musicians - the ones I would consider influences - generally fall in the "highly-skilled" category. But music is an emotional art form and an outlet for expression for a broad spectrum of feelings. It serves different purposes at different times. And sometimes, the music the White Stripes make is just what I need. As musicians who tend to hone our craft, this is sometimes a bit harder for us to come to grips with, I think. I mean, I don't think I could play loose and sloppy and feel good about it, ever. But I like to listen to music that has those characteristics, sometimes.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
The White Stripes are one of the most influential rock bands of the past 10 years, and I think deservedly so. I find them a hugely refreshing break from the copycat, over-produced sounds that have been coming from the "industry" in the Auto-Tune era. Sometimes I want to hear the raw, gut-bucket, garage sound. Their appeal is like punk's appeal in a lot of ways; in a lot of ways, punk and garage rock are about the band sounding kind of crappy. Meg is simple and sloppy and it is part of the sound of the band, and I like it.

My favorite musicians - the ones I would consider influences - generally fall in the "highly-skilled" category. But music is an emotional art form and an outlet for expression for a broad spectrum of feelings. It serves different purposes at different times. And sometimes, the music the White Stripes make is just what I need. As musicians who tend to hone our craft, this is sometimes a bit harder for us to come to grips with, I think. I mean, I don't think I could play loose and sloppy and feel good about it, ever. But I like to listen to music that has those characteristics, sometimes.
Thanks 8mile. You put it how I wished I'd put it.

"... a hugely refreshing break from the copycat, over-produced sounds that have been coming from the "industry" in the Auto-Tune era" is so spot on IMO. Retro with a modern twist. Not too many blues-influenced bands aged under 100 filling the stadiums these days as far as I can tell.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I find them a hugely refreshing break from the copycat, over-produced sounds that have been coming from the "industry" in the Auto-Tune era. Sometimes I want to hear the raw, gut-bucket, garage sound.
my thoughts exactly,

The other band which is refreshing to me is The Black Keys, no bass guitar!
raw spaced sound.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post
The other band which is refreshing to me is The Black Keys, no bass guitar!
raw spaced sound.
on their newest album, they had keys and bass. but attack and release, magic potion, etc. was just the minimalist duo
Old 10-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

when people talk about groove, they talk about guys like gadd. Masters of creation, meg plays the same thing over and over. And i know about the whole " she gives it what the song needs", and, "well, she doesnt need to do anything else" but i get a bit frustrated some times listening to her. Its a duo, she could be so creative....she could do more, much more. If a guitar player could only use basic chords he wouldnt be called good. And yest people say that she is really good, and that its hard to get a nice sloppyness......what! People are now actually calling sloppy playing good. The only good "sloppy" player imo was elvin, and he was genius, don't think meg is that type of genius! People are saying, " well, she plays with such a good guitarist, there must be deeper feel to her playing".....I don't think there is anyway. Maybe jack just wants the limelight, who knows. Either way the music does sound good, but i think it could be better, and not on jack's part
Old 10-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky CrÍpe View Post
when people talk about groove, they talk about guys like gadd. Masters of creation, meg plays the same thing over and over. And i know about the whole " she gives it what the song needs", and, "well, she doesnt need to do anything else" but i get a bit frustrated some times listening to her. Its a duo, she could be so creative....she could do more, much more. If a guitar player could only use basic chords he wouldnt be called good. And yest people say that she is really good, and that its hard to get a nice sloppyness......what! People are now actually calling sloppy playing good. The only good "sloppy" player imo was elvin, and he was genius, don't think meg is that type of genius! People are saying, " well, she plays with such a good guitarist, there must be deeper feel to her playing".....I don't think there is anyway. Maybe jack just wants the limelight, who knows. Either way the music does sound good, but i think it could be better, and not on jack's part
Have you ever happened to hear of an artist named Piet Mondrian?

He made this:

There are numerous people who would argue that the simplicity in the painting is just idiotic, and thus it's not actual art.

Meg White's playing is her style, and she does it on purpose. It's been proven that she can hold a beat, and she can play drums, so anyone who claims she simply has no skill isn't taking into consideration the fact that she's been playing for a while. It's just not possible that a drummer doesn't have the ability to play certain things after a certain point.

So yes, she could do so much more, but does she want to? I don't think so.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardsteel View Post
Have you ever happened to hear of an artist named Piet Mondrian?

He made this:

There are numerous people who would argue that the simplicity in the painting is just idiotic, and thus it's not actual art.

Meg White's playing is her style, and she does it on purpose. It's been proven that she can hold a beat, and she can play drums, so anyone who claims she simply has no skill isn't taking into consideration the fact that she's been playing for a while. It's just not possible that a drummer doesn't have the ability to play certain things after a certain point.

So yes, she could do so much more, but does she want to? I don't think so.
I actually really want to see that painting now, but it doesnt seem to come up, ay other link?
Old 10-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardsteel View Post
It's been proven that she can hold a beat,
Where's the proof? Many of my students can hold a beat, anyway. Are they great now, too? And they can also play sloppy :).
Old 10-11-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Where's the proof?
I don't know, how about their 6 albums?

Seriously, I bet she's in a basement somewhere playing some Portnoy.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Where's the proof? Many of my students can hold a beat, anyway. Are they great now, too? And they can also play sloppy :).
Matthias, you are such a agitator on this thread :-P

Meg does what's required well enough to help Jack keep millions of people happy. Her lines are approachable so she encourages young people to start playing - especially girls - and she demonstrates more clearly than anyone that you don't have to be blowing chops all over the place to be part of enjoyable music.

Many of her detractors seem to be young drummers who don't realise how badly they compromise the groove while focusing on showing off like their drum idols (not you, Matthias haha).
Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Rebel

Dear Meggie - you are loved/underestimated but you are famed!!! clever woman.