DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-30-2010, 09:15 AM

Default Midi In??

I bought a cheap electric drum kit, mistake i know - a Legacy brand one, that is what it is called in australia anyway, might be a different name in the USA. It is fine for practicing on but when i connect it to my laptop to record in it does not register at all and does weird stuff like when i hit the snare the hats sound. Pretty annoying and probably not fixable but thought i would ask my fellow drummers if they know of a miracle fix! Thanx in advance and Rock on.. :)
Old 09-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Midi In??

Are going from the audio output or the midi output into your computer?

Midi itself isn't sound, it's data.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Midi In??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer2010 View Post
I bought a cheap electric drum kit, mistake i know - a Legacy brand one, that is what it is called in australia anyway, might be a different name in the USA. It is fine for practicing on but when i connect it to my laptop to record in it does not register at all and does weird stuff like when i hit the snare the hats sound. Pretty annoying and probably not fixable but thought i would ask my fellow drummers if they know of a miracle fix! Thanx in advance and Rock on.. :)
If you mean that when you hit the snare pad - a hi hat sound is produced by the laptop (what software??) then you don't have the MIDI note #'s matching. You are hitting a pad which sends an electrical signal to the electronic drum brain. The brain has the pad input set to some MIDI note# (ex. D#26). However the software on the laptop has the hi hat sample set to the that note (D#26). The brain transmits D#26 to the laptop via MIDI(assuming MIDI out from electronic drum brain to MIDI In of laptop interface) and the software produces a hi hat sound.

I think that's the issue you're having.

Other than that, you'll need to be more specific about what software you are using. It also sounds like you should bone up on Basic MIDI knowledge. There's plenty of sites that will help you if you Google around.

HTH

Jim

Jim Martin Music