DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 09-04-2010, 02:48 AM

Default Which kind of beater is more harsh on the bass drum head?? Wood or Felt??

I saw on a different forum a while ago saying that wooden beaters don't do as much damage as felt ones because they're smoother. I kinda agree with this though because the felt is kinda like sandpaper in a way if you compare it to a smooth wooden beater.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Which kind of beater is more harsh on the bass drum head?? Wood or Felt??

I think it would all depend on which wood beater and which felt beater you are comparing.
My experience is that wood burned up a kick drum head about twice as fast as felt. This, of course. relates to a batter head "sans" any kind of protecto patch (falam, etc.).
Old 09-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Which kind of beater is more harsh on the bass drum head?? Wood or Felt??

I still use Dr. Scholl's moleskin for my beater spot. And with that stuff on the head, it almost doesn't matter what I use for a beater.

I've been using those plastic DW ones for years, but this week I'm using the felt side.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

I don't think it is as much a question of abrasion/friction as it is heat and hardness /mass.Friction does generate heat,but with a beater you don't have much back and forth friction going on.In most cases a wood beater is harder/more dense than a felt one,and generates more energy /heat to the head,if you sit down and play awhile with a felt beater and touch the head wher it meete the beater you will feel the head is hot,if you do the same thing with wood it will be hotter.The more heat,the more it weakens the head over time,I think that is why you go through bd heads quicker with plastic or wood beaters.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

More than the texture, how the beater hits the head is key. If the beater (felt OR wood) is angled too much and strikes the drumhead with the corner, it's going to damage the drumhead.

I've played felt, wood, plastic beaters, and that was always the deciding factor. Currently I use reversible beaters with a flat round plastic side and a flat round felt side, and I have adjusted my beater angle so that they hit straight into the drum. I haven't changed my kick head in five years.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedrumming View Post
I saw on a different forum a while ago saying that wooden beaters don't do as much damage as felt ones because they're smoother. I kinda agree with this though because the felt is kinda like sandpaper in a way if you compare it to a smooth wooden beater.
Wood beater- more damage
Old 09-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member

I've never used a wood beater but the way I see it is ...

What would hurt more - to be repeatedly bopped on your head with a wood beater or a felt beater? :)
Old 09-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Interesting side note - Roland tells you not to use the felt beater on their electronic bass drum heads. The felt against their mesh will generate heat and the head will begin to deteriorate at the beating point.

So there's an example of having to use a wood beater!

This business on which beater to use? I say use what you want and what gives you your sound. If that means having to get a new bass drum head every other week or so, then add that to your living budget.

Kenny Aronoff once said years ago that his sound was found when he put an old skool white coated ambassador on his 24" kick drum. He had to change the head out almost every night on that tour, I think. Of course, he could afford it. But like guitarists and strings, if it's important to the drummer, then just make it a priority.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Silver Member

which is more harsh on your skin? enough said.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

I would have to say wood from past experience when I didn't have a protector on my bass drum head.
A wood beater is the only one that I have ever used that wore its way through the first layer of a two ply head before I replaced the head and added a protector pad.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:41 AM

Conversely.. I'm using felt beaters with an Aquarian SuperThin (maybe that's why?) Kickpad and I'm actually wearing through the pad.

All strokes being equal, I'd imagine wood has a higher likelihood of denting a head whereas felt would friction it to death.

Either way, the drum head manufacturers win!

PS: Best icon ever!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:37 AM

I have a wood beater on my pedal, and with a falam patch, i never have to worry about anything at all.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I've never used a wood beater but the way I see it is ...

What would hurt more - to be repeatedly bopped on your head with a wood beater or a felt beater? :)
HA! Funny but it makes perfect sense. I use those giant superballs, carefully drilled and glued onto the shafts. I put a dab of fuzzy velcro on one side, to turn around for a softer sound. Very easy to control, snappy rebound and the balls widen out a bit when they hit the head, increasing surface area and making the sound more fatty and chompy.