DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 PM

Default old heads stacked on new heads?

anyone do this?

i had some spare time messing around on my drums with my friends yesterday, and i decided to cut the metal rim off of the head and lay it ontop of the new black suede emperors (not really that new) but it really brought the sound even lower, i like it but is it normal to do that? and how would i go about doing it with my higher toms, because the 10" works with the extra head ontop, but my middle 12" tom wont vibrate well with the head sitting on it and the sound wont sit well with the other two toms. so should i just scrap the idea, or is there a new way i can do this?

also for my snare i did this too, but when i try to play any kind of ghost note on the snare then the snares well wash for a long time.

thanks
Old 09-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: old heads stacked on new heads?

That's an old studio trick, typically used on the snare. It's a great way to get a really wet sound and feel, and it's quite a different vibe than trying to tune the drum lower and damping it. It's its own sound.

Cool that you stumbled upon it though. I've told drummers many times about doing that and I doubt they believed me.

It's best to cut out new heads, so they lay flat. There's no 'papery' sound that way.

Bermuda
Old 09-19-2010, 02:44 AM

Default Re: old heads stacked on new heads?

yeah i noticed the papery sound, but that just adds more to the feel for me, it gives the toms even more personality than i had before.

are there any other old tricks around? cause i'd love to hear of them for more sound experimentation, im just starting to get around to knowing the potential of my kit