DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Default Isolation Riser

I am trying to design a riser to isolate my electronic drums from the floor. Specifically, I am trying to eliminate impact noise from the bass drum and high hat pedals. After extensive google searching I've decided on a design that involves a 2-3 inch layer of dampening material (703 or 705 fiberglass, horse stall mat, or high density polyethylene foam) and about 3 inches of mdf or plywood (or both) layered on top of the dampening material with a 1/4 inch gap around the sides, and 1x6s to trim the sides (with acoustical caulking filling in the gap).

My wife won't allow the fiberglass because it is possibly carcinogenic and the horse mats weigh 95 pounds each (and are really expensive) so I was thinking of using high density foam. Will it work? And if so, how dense? You can buy the foam as dense as 6 lbs/cubic foot, but it's pricey; is something less dense workable?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Isolation Riser

Seen this? http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45889

It'll be a fraction of the cost too I'd imagine. Maybe not quite as Gucci, but it looks like it'd do the trick.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Seen this? http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45889

It'll be a fraction of the cost too I'd imagine. Maybe not quite as Gucci, but it looks like it'd do the trick.
That's the exact thread I was thinking of!

To the O.P. Have to say 2-3" of mdf or plywood so basically 4 pieces is going to be insanely heavy and I'm not sure as I haven't priced 3/4" plywood or MDF lately but I don't remember it being cheap.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:08 PM

The tennis ball design looks great, but I want to have my throne on the same level as the kit. Actually, it needs to be because the rack for my dtxtreme (the first one) extends out too far. Believe me, I am not interested in Gucci. I just need it to be effective because I've had two downstairs neighbors move out in the past year and I think my landlord is getting pissed.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casusbelli View Post
The tennis ball design looks great, but I want to have my throne on the same level as the kit.
Easy fix. Make the riser bigger.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:33 AM

right, but the plans on the link you posted present the caveat that locating the throne on the riser introduces stability issues and possibly decreases it's ability to absorb all of the impact. i may try it anyway, as it is at least $100 cheaper.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casusbelli View Post
right, but the plans on the link you posted present the caveat that locating the throne on the riser introduces stability issues and possibly decreases it's ability to absorb all of the impact. i may try it anyway, as it is at least $100 cheaper.
Gotta be honest with you mate......I've chosen to ignore that. I mean, I just can't see how adding a throne and a body could have that much of a material affect.......to me it just doesn't add up. The way I figure it, either the principle of the riser works, or it doesn't. Shouldn't matter if I'm on it as well.

As for stability, I'd just join the top and bottom platforms with brackets. Personally, I think it would work......but, a thought is all it is. I'll add the disclaimer that I haven't tested this platform.....but when I get me an e-kit for practice, I will......and I'll make it large enough to incorporate the throne too.