DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-15-2010, 08:35 PM

Default New heads for my 1980s Gretsch USA Custom

Hi, I'm planning on buying new heads (both batter- and resonance-side) for my Gretsch kit. It consists of a (diameter" x depth") 20"x18" bassdrum, 10"x8", 12"x10" and 14"x14" toms. I'm currently very satisfied with my snaredrum (which btw, is a 13"x4" Tama Artwood "Shaggy"). I have fitted my snare with a Remo Coated Emperor on batter side and still has the stock reso on (it says Tama - Evans Hazy 300). I'm mainly playing jazz, fusion and Steely Dan-like stuff. I really like melodic and sort of mellow sounding drums. But still being able to draw out some punch now and then, when everybody (and the music ofcourse) gets really excited. I like coated heads for their warmth, but still remember the juicy punch of Clear Remo Emperor and Pinstripes from my metal days.

I was thinking about getting something like the Remo Fiberskyn or Renaissance. I haven't tried a lot of different head combinations in my years of playing, so I'm kind of confused because there's such a vast amount of heads to choose from. I'm actually thinking of trying to treat my snare and toms as if they where part of a classical orchestra.

Sorry for long post, but as you might tell, I'm kind of confused. And being a student, I can't really afford to just buy and try different head combinations.

But bottom line is; I'm going to use this kit mainly for jazz and fusion. And maybe the occasional popgig. I like melodic and kind of mellow sounding drums (not to much attack), and being able to draw out some punch when needed. Could you guys on the forum please help me by sharing your opinions on different heads for this type of sound?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Default Re: New heads for my 1980s Gretsch USA Custom

If you do any brush work at all I would suggest coated heads. Remo adverts the Fibreskin as good for brushes but I really didn't like them. On the toms they sounded a little too plastic for my tastes. I have a set of Gretsch Renowns in the same sizes(toms) and for my money the best combo I have found is Evans G2 coated on the top and G1 clears on the bottom. I know its all taste but I have tried three different types and the Evans G's did it for me.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the reply, I do brushes from time to time. And I also happen to use broomsticks, mallets (both timpani and vibe/marimba mallets) and rods of different kinds. I'll take your advice into consideration when I go see what deals I can make with the local music shops =)

But I would still have to see what other people here has to say (if they do have something to say)...
Old 09-16-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLdrum View Post
I like melodic and kind of mellow sounding drums (not to much attack), and being able to draw out some punch when needed. Could you guys on the forum please help me by sharing your opinions on different heads for this type of sound?
Vintage Emperors hands down. They have a very nice mellow sound but you can lay into them and get some good attack if you need it.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:47 AM

Would you use the Vintage Emperors as both batter and resonant heads? Or do you have any good suggestion for a resonant that would match the Vintage Emperors nicely?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

For a punchier sound when you want it, but a more solid overall sound, use a coated single ply on the bottom.
This seems to mellow out the tone to where it's still resonant, but it's not so "ringy".

That way, you're getting a melodic sound but not a noticeably longer note from each drum when you tune the drums that way (melodic tuning vs. a usual "rock" tuning).

Just my 2 cents

Have fun with your kit!!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:32 PM

Thanks for great tip Karl =)