DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-02-2010, 10:17 AM

Default Newbie looking for advice on eKit

Hey guys, I'm new to drummerworld and drums in general and I'm looking for suggestions for what eKit I should buy.

I've wanted to play drums for about a year, but I've never had the space or the ability to play an acoustic kit because of the noise, so now I've decided I want an electronic kit. I played on a Roland HD-1 recently and decided that I'm definantly going to play drums, if not acoustic, then electric.

I've been researching and it seems the Roland TD-4KX is a great option for me, and I'm here to ask if any of you guys have any suggestions as to what I should get, if not the TD-4KX.

I listen to death and thrash metal, so double bass is a must as I hope to one day play the music I love.
I want something that will last.
I want something suited for a beginner, but also sophisticated enough to still be a good kit for a semi-advanced player.

If any of you guys have any ideas on good eKits that will suit me your input will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Newbie looking for advice on eKit

I don't have enough experience to comment on owning an eKit, but you're definitely making the right decision going for a quality Roland kit with the mesh heads rather than those naff legacy cheapy kits, with the dragon logo *shudders*.

I'd also advise just going for single pedal at this stage and building up some skill with your right leg before you go on to get a double pedal. But obviously that's up to you and your choice entirely :)

You should go into some local drum shops and try out all of them, and decide on which one is best for the money you have, take your time and don't rush into them. Also, look at the used drum market, like ebay and other online marketplaces, not to mention your local newspaper, you can find some fantastic deals in there, possibly enabling you to afford a bigger used kit than a new one.

Happy buying and drumming :)

Welcome to DrummerWorld and the world of drumming :)
Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

You're definitely on the right path with a Roland. Roland seems to have excellent compatibility between different levels of pads and kits, and the pads from the 4X will probably work well with a higher-end kit later; you could also choose to just upgrade your module next. You might also want to check out Yamaha.

In general, an electronic kit is really one of those "get what you pay for" items. Stay away from the kits you see advertised for under $500 on eBay, item after item. Those end up in garage sales or on Craigslist in no time - and they play like toys, not instruments.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:02 AM

thanks guys :) appreciate the help
Old 08-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

I commend you on your quest, but at this point I'm not sure I'd lean towards trying to find something used. I've owned the Roland TD-10 kit and basic maintenance can be expensive. Mesh heads are not cheap (you probably wouldn't break one, but when you do, think about $40 each, a little more for the bass drum head). When I broke a pad, I had to take it back to Roland (fortunately I live near LA and Roland is there), but just for them to diagnose a bad trigger and replace it, it cost me $120 when it was all done. So please be prepared for the eventual break down of stuff. You're beating on it with sticks!

I only say this because maintaining an acoustic kit is much cheaper and easier to do than an eKit. I was at the point years ago when I was doing my own repairs on my Roland Octapad after I found out they charge $60 per hour of labor!

However, don't let this deter you! Good luck on your quest!
Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 PM

I'm a beginner drummer myself and this is my first post on this forum. I received my Yamaha DTX 550K a week ago today. I originally wanted the DTXPress IV Special but it was discontinued, so I moved up to the 550K instead. I'm not sure if I made the best decision but it has a real high-hat stand that is foot-splash capable, 3-zone snare, 3-zone chokable crash and ride cymbols, three single-zone toms, and a large kick pad. I'm just using a cheap single drum pedal right now that was thrown into a package deal. I don't really have much context but I feel I have a nice kit. I'm probably off to a "typical" start but one week in and I can play along with the MP3s on the songs AC/DC Back in Black, Highway to Hell, and Judas Priest Living After Midnight. I'm just learning from tabs I downloaded off the web so far but I'm having fun. I'll probably take a few lessons soon though to make sure I am not developing any bad habits.

Can anyone recommend the best single bass pedal for under $200? The one I am using now does not seem like it is going to last much longer.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Gold Member

Stick with the best Yammy or Roland in your budget. The mesh heads are quieter acoustically and have better feel. Bo refers to maintenance. I havent had any on mine but for sure Roland products don't come cheap. But they are also the largest manufacturer of drums in the world and so this tells its own story.

I started on a TD6 and moved upto a TD12 recently. I like the compactness of the 12 and so I have no interest in the TD20.

Try them out - fortunately most decent drum stores carry a good range of ekits.

With Roland TD6 and upwards you can purchase and download kits from:

http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/

They have a lot of famous drummers' kits and so you could find that your drum hero's kit is included. So that might be a consideration.

Davo