DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-10-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Help! Roland vs. Alesis

New to this site so I was hoping someone may be able to provide some info on a couple of kits I'm looking at...Alesis DM10 Studio Kit and the Roland TD-9K.

I know price wise the Alesis kit is much cheaper, and comes with an extra tom and crash/ride cymbal. But sound wise, ease of use, has anyone had chance to sample both kits at all? How well do these hold up?

I have sampled the TD 9 and the other version of the DM10, but really not that familiar with electronic kits.

Any info on these two kits would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Help! Roland vs. Alesis

There are several very good reviews on the web for both: Google "roland td9k review" and "alesis dm10 review".

It appears the DM10 is a fairly good step up from the DM5; I personally would lean more towards the Roland just because of the possibilities to upgrade the individual pieces of kit and the proven track record of the company. I don't think either one would be money wasted.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Help! Roland vs. Alesis

what's your main purpose for getting an electronic kit? Will you be gigging with it? Adding to an acoustic set? Replacing an acoustic set? Just for practice?

What's your budget? Would more things to hit be more important to you than the quality of the things to hit?

and as mentioned, google / search is our friend. There's tons of information out there. There's even http://vdrums.com/forum/ which discusses mostly electronic drums and percussion.

Personally I'd go with the TD9 set than a DM10. Though if I had the money, I'd prolly go with the new yamaha dtx950 -- those silicone pads just feel great (and is so much quiet) :-)