DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Default StarClassic Perfomers and Current Pins Sound Plastic-ish- Suggestions Please

I upgraded from a mid-80's Ludwig Rocker set to a Tama StarClassic Performer (100% Birch) kit. I had recently purchased Remo Pinstripes for the Ludwig kit, so I moved them over to the Tamas before I sold the Ludwigs. The pins sounded great on the Ludwigs, but they sound snappy and plastic-ish on the StarClassics. I have black Ambassador reso heads that are new, so I want a batter that will work well with these. What batter head would you suggest? I was looking at the Remo Vintage Emperor's

Last edited by csnow; 09-08-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:58 PM

Default Re: StarClassic Perfomers and Current Pins Sound Plastic-ish- Suggestions Please

G2/G1
G2/GPlus toms
G2/G2 floor toms

(all clear)
Old 09-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: StarClassic Perfomers and Current Pins Sound Plastic-ish- Suggestions Please

Are you Pins clear? If so, that's the main culprit. A coated head will give you a warmer sound. Pins are about as muffled a head as Remo makes. Everything else is going to have a more open sound. Vintage Emperor head will work great ... very "old school", is what Remo's going for there.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 PM

Your a wise man Harry. They are the clears. So the coated pins will not have that "thwack" sound? I am suprised you answered since I turned-coat on the Luddies. Dont worry, I still have my eyes out for a 60's 3ply kit on the local Craigslist in my area.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Hey, drums are drums ... and your Tama's ... excellent drums. I still have my Luddies, but my newest score, Yamaha Recording Customs!!! I had an RC kit before, loved it, sold it to finance my e-lec-tron-ic thang, knew I'd get another RC kit, someday. And a few weeks ago, was that someday. 100% birch.
Yeah, clear heads, brightest sound. I'm playing around with coated Evans (yeah, and me, a Remo guy, most all my life) on my Yamaha's right now. G1 and G2's. Not a far cry from coated Remo heads.
If you like the muffling of the Pinstripe head, try the coated.