DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > DrummerWorld Site News

DrummerWorld Site News What's New at DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 03-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Anne Beeche's Avatar
Anne Beeche Anne Beeche is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 104
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Hey Anne. I'm wondering how you found the DW website, if you're not much a drummer yet?

Just curious. ;-)
I'm an aspiring drummer. I figured that even as an aspiring drummer I should be part of a community full of drummers, so I simply googled "drummer discussion forum" and here I am.

I may only have a pair of cheap sticks, a practice pad, and three of the rudiments thus far, but I assure you: I WILL have a drum kit and the skill to play it!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-03-2009, 01:10 AM
That Guy's Avatar
That Guy That Guy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Beeche View Post
I'm an aspiring drummer. I figured that even as an aspiring drummer I should be part of a community full of drummers, so I simply googled "drummer discussion forum" and here I am.

I may only have a pair of cheap sticks, a practice pad, and three of the rudiments thus far, but I assure you: I WILL have a drum kit and the skill to play it!
Maybe you can start a group named - "New Drummer" Social Group. I'm sure you will find some good connections fairly quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 AM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Beeche View Post
I'm an aspiring drummer. I figured that even as an aspiring drummer I should be part of a community full of drummers, so I simply googled "drummer discussion forum" and here I am.

I may only have a pair of cheap sticks, a practice pad, and three of the rudiments thus far, but I assure you: I WILL have a drum kit and the skill to play it!
Great! It takes a start for any journey.


Oh, and that's a really good attitude for it, too. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Anne Beeche's Avatar
Anne Beeche Anne Beeche is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 104
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Maybe you can start a group named - "New Drummer" Social Group. I'm sure you will find some good connections fairly quickly.
Actually, that's a good idea, but a group called the Noobies Union already exists.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-17-2010, 09:20 PM
chathamight's Avatar
chathamight chathamight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: t-dot
Posts: 114
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

i've created a few groups and have posted pictures, videos, started discussions, but it doesn't seem to be catching on...

how do these groups differ from the regular threads? i think most of the drummers surf the regular threads and see that the groups aren't maintained, or there's no activity and don't check back...

are they just taking up server space if no one will visit and participate?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,231
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by chathamight View Post
i've created a few groups and have posted pictures, videos, started discussions, but it doesn't seem to be catching on...

how do these groups differ from the regular threads? i think most of the drummers surf the regular threads and see that the groups aren't maintained, or there's no activity and don't check back...

are they just taking up server space if no one will visit and participate?
It helps if you plug the group. I have a link to the one I started in my signature.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 AM
chathamight's Avatar
chathamight chathamight is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: t-dot
Posts: 114
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
It helps if you plug the group. I have a link to the one I started in my signature.
Thanks DMC, we'll give it a shot.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,253
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Now "Hard Hitters" social group is available for all, come on join in!!!
__________________
"Forget the message, forget the lyrics, and just play." - Ginger Baker
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

This is probably a silly question but what is the point of a Social Group? I mean, we can all socialise on the forum, can't we?

Some time ago I joined Thaard's Drummers with Glasses Group. As far as I know, we're the only members and the only significance I can think of is there's a little note on our profiles saying that we're members (other than a moment of heart-warming bonding between young Thaardy and me that only other four-eyed people can understand) .

Am I missing something?
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,908
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Some time ago I joined Thaard's Drummers with Glasses Group. As far as I know, we're the only members and the only significance I can think of is there's a little note on our profiles saying that we're members (other than a moment of heart-warming bonding between young Thaardy and me that only other four-eyed people can understand) .

Am I missing something?
We can rest easy knowing that not only do we rock but we look smart while doing it. You can't put a price on that.
__________________
Do robots dream of E-kits?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
We can rest easy knowing that not only do we rock but we look smart while doing it. You can't put a price on that.
lol ... I can, Red. I'd say it's worth about $2.50 (Australian dollars). Shouldn't you be in the Red Haired Cymbal Eating Drummers Group?

Seems like no one knows what the groups are for :)
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,253
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

To hang around and bullshit with the mates! out of the main discussion board. =) ....I guess. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Seems like no one knows what the groups are for :)
__________________
"Forget the message, forget the lyrics, and just play." - Ginger Baker
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
To hang around and bullshit with the mates! out of the main discussion board. =) ....I guess. ;-)
Ha - you mean like PMs? So, does that mean people are doing small-group PMs??

I've done tons of PMs but it's always one on one.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-27-2010, 03:27 AM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,908
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
lol ... I can, Red. I'd say it's worth about $2.50 (Australian dollars). Shouldn't you be in the Red Haired Cymbal Eating Drummers Group?

Seems like no one knows what the groups are for :)
That's $2.214 US dollars or a big cup of coffee, better than nothing. I actually have black hair but I do wear glasses. I'm not brave enough to put up a real pic of myself.

I'd say the groups are so we can pretend we actually have friends. I'm not gigging at the moment, that's all I have.
__________________
Do robots dream of E-kits?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-27-2010, 05:24 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
That's $2.214 US dollars or a big cup of coffee, better than nothing. I actually have black hair but I do wear glasses. I'm not brave enough to put up a real pic of myself.

I'd say the groups are so we can pretend we actually have friends. I'm not gigging at the moment, that's all I have.
But can't we have forum friends - either officially or unofficially - anyway?

BTW, in Oz, $2.50 will only buy you a regular coffee - and in the city cafes during business hours. Otherwise it's $3 or more.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 AM
Zickosdrummer's Avatar
Zickosdrummer Zickosdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 363
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

How do I get in this "Drummers with Glasses" group? Without mine, I can't even see my kit.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 09-01-2010, 05:50 AM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,908
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickosdrummer View Post
How do I get in this "Drummers with Glasses" group? Without mine, I can't even see my kit.
On the grey toolbar at the top click Community the Social Groups.
__________________
Do robots dream of E-kits?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 09-01-2010, 06:00 AM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,908
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Just went through the social groups again and now I'm left wondering... Why isn't there a Traditional Grip group???
__________________
Do robots dream of E-kits?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 09-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 10,007
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Why isn't there a Traditional Grip group???
Because traditional grip is: wrong....unnecessary...a bad habit....outdated for the modern drum kit....my teacher says it's a waste of time.... :-)
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,908
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Because traditional grip is: wrong....unnecessary...a bad habit....outdated for the modern drum kit....my teacher says it's a waste of time.... :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0V4Aqs2D48

I think Mr. Rich says it better than I do.
__________________
Do robots dream of E-kits?
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 09-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 10,007
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I think Mr. Rich says it better than I do.
Firstly, before I get flammed from here to kingdom come, it's worth clarifying it was a definite joke mate. Check my posts on the topic,,,,,I'm an avid believer in playing what's comfortable and what works for the individual. I've defended trad. grip from the same comments I just posted, more times than I can actually recall.

Secondly, I've seen that clip before......it tells me nothing other than the fact that Buddy prefers trad. grip. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,908
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Firstly, before I get flammed from here to kingdom come, it's worth clarifying it was a definite joke mate. Check my posts on the topic,,,,,I'm an avid believer in playing what's comfortable and what works for the individual. I've defended trad. grip from the same comments I just posted, more times than I can actually recall.

Secondly, I've seen that clip before......it tells me nothing other than the fact that Buddy prefers trad. grip. :-)
I got that it was a joke, it took some convincing to get my teacher to show me traditional grip, I guess he waited to see it I was serious about it.

I just thought the clip was somehow fitting. He was such an angry old man...
__________________
Do robots dream of E-kits?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 10,007
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I got that it was a joke,
Hundreds wouldn't mate....hence why I felt the need to quickly back pedal before I got skinned alive. :-)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
He was such an angry old man...
Indeed....and I do love it so. Came across in his playing just splendidly for mine. That same agressive approach to his playing enthralled me as a kid.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-02-2010, 03:56 AM
Zickosdrummer's Avatar
Zickosdrummer Zickosdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 363
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
On the grey toolbar at the top click Community the Social Groups.
I was just joking, but I checked it out and now I am a member, too. See, you can teach an old dog... etc.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickosdrummer View Post
I was just joking, but I checked it out and now I am a member, too. See, you can teach an old dog... etc.
We four-eyes are taking over! Just ask Vinnie or Billy Cobham.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 09-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,253
Default Re: Drummerworld Social Groups

Yes, We are conquering the world. Watch it! :-] + Ian Paice another four-eyes as Us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
We four-eyes are taking over! Just ask Vinnie or Billy Cobham.
__________________
"Forget the message, forget the lyrics, and just play." - Ginger Baker

Last edited by Ian Williams; 09-04-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com