DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 PM

Default Pearl Masters limited-edition MHP mahogany kit.

Hi All,

I posted this on the PDF, and I thought it would be nice to share here as well:

"I just received my Pearl Masters Limited Edition MHP kit from ""Music For All" http://www.musicforall.biz, and they were an absolute pleasure to deal with -- I highly recommend them. Moreover, they're an authorized Pearl dealer so warranty work will be no problem should any be necessary.

Anyway, on to the drums. They shipped in 2 boxes and were packaged separately with heads and hardware already attached. Upon opening, the first thing that I noticed was how thick the boxes were, and the fact that the kit arrived in perfect shape is in part a testament to the extra padding. The bass was packed and surrounded by carboard that allowed the drum to "float" within the box, while all of drums were wrapped in paper, then bubble wrap and then finally in plastic.

Everything about the kit is top-notch -- the finish is flawless, the tension rods are a breeze to adjust, and the fit and finish is superb. The entire kit just oozes class.

How do they sound? Well, I won't be able to tell you for a while because I'm just recovering from some recent surgery, and I cannot quite play just yet. However, I'll follow-up as soon as possible with full kit pics and further observations."
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pearl Masters limited-edition MHP mahogany kit.

Beautiful wood grain. Awesome finish. Mahogany with re-rings. That should give off a nice "old school" type warm sound.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Big_Philly

That thing is beautiful! I want one :)
Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

O.O

wow, that is positively stunning my friend, it must be absolute hell not being able to play those beauts.

Can't wait to see it set up with cymbals. Hope you recover quickly!

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Old 02-13-2010, 07:12 PM

Wow Signals, you must be having a great start to 2010 with a new Mapex and these SWEET Pearls. I have a new found love for Mahogany, I may have to see if Matt can get me some of these.

I have to throw in a plug for Music For All. I also bought my Pearl bop kit from them and am very pleased with their service.

Nice kit, get healed up so you can get playing these babys.

Mike
Old 02-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Silver Member

You have a fine-looking kit! What are the sizes? I'm guessing 10x8, 12x9, 16x16, 22x18?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Administrator

That is one of the best looking wood grains I have seen. Congrats on a great looking set. did you get to hear the mahogany before you bought it?

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 02-19-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

That's beautiful, I bet they sound fantastic, too. Nobody does quality like Pearl. The shells seem rather thick, however. I guess that's just how Pearl rolls.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Silver Member

I thought the limited edition mahogany kits were supposed to be 4 ply shells with 3 ply reinforcement rings?
Old 02-14-2010, 02:22 AM

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes everyone :)

Drifter in the Dark, those sizes are correct.

GRUNTERSDAD, I did not get to hear it in person, only a sound sample from the Memphis Drum Shop site.

zambizzi, Solaris, the shells are thin mahogany reinforced with maple rings.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Pearl has released these very special, limited edition African mahogany 4 piece shell pack drum sets. The drums are 4 plies of African mahogany with maplereinforcement rings. The shells are finished in a beautiful redmahogany fade (#341). Pearl's supreme quality African mahogany givesthese drums a vintage dark, warm, rich tone that separates itself fromdrums constructed of other materials. The drums include a 22x18 bass drum, 10x8 and 12x9 toms and a 16x16 floor tom. All toms feature chromesuper hoops, aluminum optimount tom holders and remo clear ambassadorheads. One of the nicest looking Limited Edition finishes Pearl produces and the sound of the 4-ply mahogany 5mm shell with maple reinforcement rings is amazing. Only 30 of these limited edition kits will be available in the U.S.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 AM

I own a different version of this kit.. 18x22, 8x10, 9x12, 14x14 and has a matching masterworks snare 14 x 4 1/2 or 5 ish.. 24 karat gold plated hardware.. I'll get better pics up but this one will have to do from my phone for now... Nice kit btw it looks good in chrome hardware as well!! I got black suedes on the tops, black x on the snare, no muffling in kick or on any toms or neither on the snare.. it sounds too good!
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdsouth View Post
I own a different version of this kit.. 18x22, 8x10, 9x12, 14x14 and has a matching masterworks snare 14 x 4 1/2 or 5 ish.. 24 karat gold plated hardware.. I'll get better pics up but this one will have to do from my phone for now... Nice kit btw it looks good in chrome hardware as well!! I got black suedes on the tops, black x on the snare, no muffling in kick or on any toms or neither on the snare.. it sounds too good!
I'm in canada but I seem to have the european version! =)

http://www.pearleurope.com/WhatsUpNe...eases&MenuId=1
Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 AM

thirdsouth, that looks great with gold!!!

Here's a few pics of mine setup...not the best as it was dark and flash was used...
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2010, 05:07 AM
Silver Member

As a Pearl owner myself I'm sure to be parcel. Your new Mahogany kit is stunning! If I ever buy another Pearl kit it would be the mahogany kits (though they only made a very few of them, one would have to have them built in the Masterworks series). Please post some audio if you can!
Old 02-24-2010, 01:52 AM

Hello Sirwill,

I do not have any audio, however, you can get a decent idea of how the kit sounds here (scroll to bottom):

http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php...ducts_id=10423
Old 02-24-2010, 02:12 AM
Administrator

I keep coming to back to this page. Absolutely beautiful.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 AM

Signals your kit looks crazy too! we're kit buddies! hah.. everyone that sees/plays them gets blown away and usually I can see the "why the hell do YOU have a kit like this!?" in their faces but HEY its gosh darn worth it!!! P>S> I have black suedes for all heads now, and no more aux snare.. I'll get another pic tomorrow thats updated.. what kind of music do you use your kit for? I use mine for pretty much anything from death metal to rap, it does it ALL.. Especially with the HHX ride and hats, HH and AA Sabian Cymbals.. I do like your zildjians though!!
Attached Images

Last edited by thirdsouth; 02-24-2010 at 02:43 AM. Reason: more to add
Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 AM

Hi again fellas,

I took a couple of pics a few days ago in somewhat better lighting...

(thirdsouth, how do you like the black suedes?)
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 PM

signals the black suedes are great!! I read that the Pearl Rep whatshisname. Gene Oko something- anyways he recommended the skins for this kit at an interview about the kit at namm 09.. I also sometimes use e-rings on them too! The drummer for Everytime I Die was over today and he enjoyed the kit as well, told me the kick was crazy! And of course everyone always loves the toms! I'll take some pics now..
Old 02-28-2010, 01:47 AM

thirdsouth, I'm looking forward to the pics!

...I gotta tell you, I'm lovin' the sound of this kit with the stock heads, and i can't imagine it sounding even better. However, perhaps I'll give those suedes a try seeing that you like them so much.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:36 AM

I noticed a lot of questions about how they sound. Before I get to the sound, I'd like to thank Matt Kerwin at Music For All (musicforall.biz) for his time, effort and professionalism as a Pearl dealer. Matt was instrumental in making this kit a reality not to mention a fantastic deal! Great customer service as well.
Not many drum sets come out of the box and sound good especially with stock heads. This LE MHP is the exception. However, I normally play clear Emperors on the toms so I spent they day trying out a few different heads for my own curiosity. First of all, this kit is reminiscent of the early 70's Ludwig mahogany shells. I think this is the sound that Pearl was going after and not only did they match it but totally surpassed it. Because of the 45 degree bearing edges which gives the drum more resonance and the SST technology these drum sound fantastic with Any head I put on them. I tried many types of batter heads and they all sounded good each with different characteristics. All of the drums in this kit have great tone. Usually one drum gives you a problem but not with this kit. The 16 floor and 22 bass have an amazing low end. When I put Remo coated Emperors or Ambassadors on them they immediately had the vintage vibe sound like the Ringo, Baker, Bonham type sounds and they quieted the drums down and warmed them up as well. I personally like the brighter sound of clear heads especially for this kit. I play classic rock and top forty stuff. The jazz enthusiasts may want the fibre or coated type heads.These drums have no noticeable overtones to speak of so it's a win-win situation with any head. However when I put the Evans clear G2's on, the drums tuned up immediately to the sweet spot and the sound is nothing short of unbelievable. These drums sound incredibly warm and naturally EQ'd. (These are the heads I kept on the kit). For small toms they have that big 80's sound. By the way I kept the stock clear Ambassadors on the resonate sides and didn't see a need to change them. Besides, you can see the inner shell which actually looks pleasing to the eye especially with the natural maple reinforcement hoops. I changed the front stock head to an Ebony PS3 and added a gold Pearl logo. I think this enhanced the the beauty of the 341 redfade. Also replaced the stock PS3 batter with a EMAD 1ply clear on the batter side. (No pillow needed with this combo). I don't think these drums are as loud as maple and oak, but those woods are more prone to overtone problems at times with various heads. The mahogany gives you the option of a great sound miked or unmiked which of course is the result we try to achieve. I have to add that Pearl's MHP mahogany kit is truly the hallmark of Pearl's superb craftsmanship. Hope the info helps. I put a few pics up to show the set with the ebony bass head.
Attached Images

Last edited by allmaple; 08-18-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Platinum Member

Gorgeous drums. Looking at them actually kind of makes me hungry.

You have a traditional five piece setup, which makes your drums stand out nowadays since that setup has fallen out of fasion.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:05 PM
"Uncle Larry"

That's the nicest Pearl set I ever saw. It's the rerings that really put it over the top for me.
How much coin?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:17 PM

Another pearl owner here and all I can say is: Aaaahhh, what beauty... :D
Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signals View Post
thirdsouth, that looks great with gold!!!

Here's a few pics of mine setup...not the best as it was dark and flash was used...
Your shells look rad on the inside. Beautiful kit man. I'm not the biggest pearl fan but that is one amayzing kit. How does it sound?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:56 AM
Administrator

This is my third post on this drum set, and I am going to have to insist that it be taken down.. Every time I see this set I just want to come and steal it. It's is just gorgeous. even better looking than my Renowns.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
This is my third post on this drum set, and I am going to have to insist that it be taken down.. Every time I see this set I just want to come and steal it. It's is just gorgeous. even better looking than my Renowns.

You crack me right-up my friend. :)

Anyway, as for sound...over the past six years I've owned quite a few kits (pics here: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=240755), and my favorite sounding was the Renown. I ended up selling it for some strange reason and regretted it shortly after. However, I lucked-out in that the Pearl mahogany kit sounds very much like the Renown's, only with a bit more bottom-end. In short, they are warm, punchy, and sound naturally EQ'd. Moreover, they do not have any noticeable overtones.

...@ larryace...I got 'em for a great price from Matt Kerwin at Music For All (musicforall.biz) -- he was a pleasure to deal with, and he's an authorized Pearl dealer to boot. Moreover, when he states that they're new, he means it -- the boxes arrived sealed with 'Pearl' tape on them.

PM me for price if interested.

Take care,
Ed
Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 AM
Gold Member

These look amazing, congrats.
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig

Last edited by BGH; 04-02-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:46 PM

Man...that is one sweet set! I think I could sit in front of that all day and just drool...
Old 04-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mont_man22 View Post
Your shells look rad on the inside. Beautiful kit man. I'm not the biggest pearl fan but that is one amayzing kit. How does it sound?
Yes, even the insides of the shells are terrific. Amazing attention to detail on these drums.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:18 PM

Just as mentioned over on the PDF - this kit is awesome, sir. :o)
Old 04-09-2010, 10:46 PM

These Pearl Masters LE MHP kits are absolutely stunning.
Pearl has really done an outstanding job with these kits.

Thank you guys for sharing them with us.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:31 AM
Silver Member

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, just had to post some pics of my new MHP's.
I don't think anyone else has posted pics of these, the jazz configuration : 18"x14", 12"x8",14"x14" and I have a Gretsch New Classic maple 14"x 6.5" snare pictured there.

I am a big Yamaha drum fan, and recently sold one of my Yamaha kits (Maple Custom Absolutes) to acquire these. It was worth it. Jaw dropping bottom end from this kit.
They like any head I put on them. tuned up, tuned down, I can't make them sound bad.

Only thing I didn't care for was the white reso head....so, I painted it with some Rustoleum Hammered Black spray paint. Worked out kinda well.
I know, I know, ported is not ideal, but I have to get a mic in there, this is going to be a gigging kit for sure! That 18" bass drum has no business sounding as big and punchy as it does.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2010, 12:47 AM

Nice kit, I Iike the finish. Oh by the way how do you like that small bass drum?
Old 08-22-2010, 05:37 PM

Haven't posted on here in a few months, but my MHP's are still going strong. EVERYONE that I jam with loves them.. and they look as good as they smell. I still have to get a hi rez pic frig. I think they only made 100 of these kits in the world.. Snare is a Spaun zebrawood 8ply maple, aux with ryobi head isolators and ipod is the MHP snare..
Attached Images

Last edited by thirdsouth; 08-22-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added snare
Old 08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Administrator

And I'm back again. I liked your drums so much and the way they look that I took off
the black Gretsch bass reso head and bought an all white one. The white makes the color, mine is close to yours, and the woodgrain look even better. Hope your healing process is coming along and all is well. Still love your set man.....
Old 08-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Gold Member

Signlals, I find it very likely that you know that you're a lucky, lucky man.

The drums look amazing, and I bet they sound even better. The thin shells must bring out the sound of that mahogany very well.

The finish blows my mind, Pearl's fades seem to be very good no matter what they're on. I have a kit in Ruby Fade, and I daresay it comes kind of close to comparing to this. But obviously it fails miserably anyway.

I hope you enjoy this kit for a very, very long time. Turn it into a family heirloom!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Stickit

That is a beautiful kit, but I'm a bit confused however on the finish. I have a Mapex Meridian birch kit and they call the finish transparent walnut, but it looks almost identical to the mahogany finish on your kit. Do they just have different names for the same finish? I looked up a mahogany stain and sure enough it looked just the finish on both our kits.
Here's a photo.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 AM

Gentlemen, thanks for all of the kind words. However, I have to say that I sold the kit some time ago because a Pearl Ref kit became available in smaller sizes, something I wanted to try for quite some time. Another thing that I always wanted to try was a "big" kit, so the Ref's were sold for a Ludwig Classic maple kit -- I got it a few weeks ago. I added some Paiste Giant Beats and a Supra snare, and I must say that I'm sounding quite "Bonham-ish" these days. :-))

By the way, I was never a huge Ludwig fan, but I must say that I really love the sound of this kit. There's nothing fancy about it, no bells and whistles, but it sounds great, and I guess that's all that counts.

Current specs are: 24x16, 13x9, and 16x16. I'm working on getting a matching 18" floor tom too.

Here's some pics of the Ref kit and Ludwigs:
Attached Images