DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-19-2010, 03:30 PM

Default Ive been recommened evans & remo..?

I've played 8 months, im into rock, jazz, all sorts really. I do no recording just want a nice sounding kit and for it to be good all around and in small gig venues like pubs.

My friend & also my drum tuner - a 30 year pro recommeneded to me to get rid of my stock Yamaha tour custom heads (i agree, they sound ok with his tuning but i want to maximise my kits potential) and replace with;

Evans genera snare batter
Evans G2 clear batter 12" & 16"
Evans EQ3 clear bass batter 22"

My drum teacher, who is a pro session/live drummer has remo on his kits and recommended to me;

Remo Emperor coated Snare batter
Remo Emperor clear batter 12" & 16"
Remo Powerstroke 3 clear batter 22"

I know i like the sound of the PS3 bass drum that my tutor has, sounds sweeet even muffled to hi hell for recording. But otherwise i dont have a clue on the differences these heads have. Both recommendations are from top professional drummers. Any advice between the two would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Ive been recommened evans & remo..?

Just a tip...there has been tons of debates and threads about both of these heads, so I'd suggest reading through some of the previous ones because there's tons of great info about both. I'm personally a Evans kind of guy, so that's what I would tell you to put on. But in reality, both sets of heads you mentioned seem to be basically the same thing just different brands. Maybe try one this go around and then use the others next time and see which ones YOU like better. Maybe you might find yourself to be an Attack kinda person instead Remo OR Evans...who knows? Goodluck to ya.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

+1. Another tip: Nobody's going to come to your house and beat you if you mix and match brands on your drums. You might find you prefer the PS3 on your bass but the G2s over G1s on your toms. Go for it. You're not endorsing any brand, so use what sounds best.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Gold Member

The two various options recommended are essentially the exact same heads, as offered by the two different companies.

The only real difference is the Evans Genera head also has a muffle ring underlay, while the coated Emperor does not.

Otherwise, the clear Emperors are the equivalent to the clear G2's, and the Powerstroke 3 is the equivalent to the EQ3.

So essentially you should expect about the same sound from either set of heads, and about the same cost as well, so the choice comes down to which brand you'd rather have on your drums.

Remo and Evans both have a fair amount of description and even some sample videos on their websites for many of their heads, you may want to take a look and listen to get a better idea for yourself.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:28 AM
Platinum Member

That pretty much sums both the heads and peoples perception of them, mate. You've got two pro's using two different brands and you like the sound of both kits. That should tell you that it's purely down to choice.

Both great brands and both will serve you well.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:35 PM

Cheers guy, i went with evans this time, and next time i'll probably try the remo. Hoping they have lots to try at the london drum show so i can demo everything :D Thanks!