DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Default $900 axis pedal

New axis laser double pedal? Debut @ NAMM 2010. Looks like the same old design with reshaped foot plate to me. Anyone know anything about it?

http://www.axispercussion.com/A21_laser_double.html
Old 02-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Default Re: $900 axis pedal

From what I was reading from a Derek Roddy promo they changed the pedal, beater angle? to 21 degrees for faster response. Hence the name. Not sure other than that.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

That doesn't make sense? Isn't that what they achieved with the sonic hammer? for a bent beater you pay 400 more? There's got to be more to it than a 21 degree angle.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
There's got to be more to it than a 21 degree angle.

I've been trying to figure this out too. The Axis website doesn't seem to mention anything about it being a true new design other that the 21 degree thing and it only makes sense that they would advertise any other changes to create a buzz. On looks alone, the only difference I can see is a slightly different looking footboard. Not sure what all the hype is about at this point. I didn't even know the price until I saw this thread, but if it's that much more expensive there better be more to it! Mind you, I haven't played it, so I guess there is a small possibility that the feel is somehow drastically different or better. I'm skeptical though.

The previous generation of Axis pedals were amazing in every respect and definitely ahead of their time, so maybe there isn't much to improve on. One thing I'm grateful for as an owner of the A Longboards is that the new Laser hasn't made me want to upgrade the way I thought it might. With a $900 price tag, that's good news indeed!
Old 02-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Gold Member

$900!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a good chuck of change for a pedal! $900 can go a long way in the drums/percussion/cymbal world! But if it helps to take you to the next level, then that's okay with me.

GJS
Old 02-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

Even for the $750+ price tag of the AL-2, you can walk out of GC for less than $400. Anyone who pays those kind of dollars for pedals just isn't trying.

No way people are going to pay $900 for a pedal of any design. Bitch better play itself for that kind of quid....
Old 02-15-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
Bitch better play itself for that kind of quid....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - ROTFLMFAO
Quite possibly the best one-liner EVER on the DW forum!!!
Good game, sticksnstones, well done.

Quote:
Even for the $750+ price tag of the AL-2, you can walk out of GC for less than $400.
Do you mean that GC will negotiate $750 down to less that $400 for the AL-2's?.....Or am I reading you wrong? I know big chain stores will bargain with you, but I've never heard of a store accepting half of their asking price. I got Buffalo Drum Outlet to price-match Cascio Interstate Music at I think $429 for the AL-2CB's about a-year-and-a-half ago (which was hands down the best price I could find) and then ship them to me in Canada for a fair rate.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

I'd hate to think what these would cost here in Oz!!

Examples for you (all prices are retail, there'd be room to move, but not a hell of a lot).
DW9000 = A$949.00 http://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/sho...-9000-series/= US$840.00 give or take.
Pearl Demon Drive Eliminators = A$999.00 http://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/sho...ve-eliminator/ = US$885.00 give or take

I think US$900 Axis will be off my radar for a long time yet!!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

Someone put a down payment for a new set of AL-2CB's. When they came in, his interest fell into an entire drum set. Apparently, he applied his deposit to the kit instead and GC was left with the pedals.

I strolled in, inquired and subsequently laughed at the GC employee that originally told me $790 was the unnegotiable price....

I walked to the front of the store, asked the manager what he could do cause even he knew they'd never get that kind of money for them. He clicked through the internet for a couple minutes and said "How does $390 sound?"

I said "Sold".

Long story fairly short....yeah...maybe the first-string employees wont haggle very far...but the managers wll haggle THAT far. And quickly too...he set me a price I couldn't refuse right off the bat!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Even for the $750+ price tag of the AL-2, you can walk out of GC for less than $400. Anyone who pays those kind of dollars for pedals just isn't trying.
Yep and i have a few bridges across the country i'll sell them too.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:45 PM

With my experience with double pedals, youd be much better served buying a cheaper DW 9000 series. Its fantastic hardware, and provides almost perfect beater control.

The Mars Volta
Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Haha, we've paid only 750 for our car, in no freaking way am I ever going to pay so much money for pedals :-S. I bought my Double Elims for 135 used, but in good condition.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
I strolled in, inquired and subsequently laughed at the GC employee that originally told me $790 was the unnegotiable price....

I walked to the front of the store, asked the manager what he could do cause even he knew they'd never get that kind of money for them. He clicked through the internet for a couple minutes and said "How does $390 sound?"

I said "Sold".

Long story fairly short....yeah...maybe the first-string employees wont haggle very far...but the managers wll haggle THAT far. And quickly too...he set me a price I couldn't refuse right off the bat!
Sweet! Good for you man.
I wonder what site he went to that made him arrive at that price.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Dangerous View Post
Sweet! Good for you man.
I wonder what site he went to that made him arrive at that price.
I didn't bother asking...

For some moments...it's just not a good idea to question. lol.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
With my experience with double pedals, youd be much better served buying a cheaper DW 9000 series. Its fantastic hardware, and provides almost perfect beater control.
I'd say it all bounces down to that solemn fact that a drummer's experience level with any given pedal(s) is key.

Outside of a non-funtional design or a plain ole' broken pedal, there is no magic set of bearings, beaters, or springs that you can throw into a pedal that will "solve" anyone's playing issues. $900 for pedal is ludicrous. The only reason I ever considered an AL-2 was because of the extraordinary discount. Before them, I was playing a $200 set of Sonor's...which happen to be the same ones (at least the same design that you see Thomas Lang flying on). Even with the highest bad-assery of the Axis pedal under my feet, it took a loooong time for me to re-adjust to them. It's a leap of faith that the transition to a different pedal in the "unfamilliar" category is going to reap a benefit to your playing.

So...the truth is that you're absolutely right. Most any common drummer, full-time, part-time, pro, beginner, whatever could buy a "mid-level" pedal and blaze like the rest. Die hard PRACTICE is where that solution truly lies. Look at the speed King users of the world...hahaha (just a poke...)
Old 02-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
$900 for pedal is ludicrous. The only reason I ever considered an AL-2 was because of the extraordinary discount. Before them, I was playing a $200 set of Sonor's...which happen to be the same ones (at least the same design that you see Thomas Lang flying on).
lol. Funny you mention Sonor. The Sonor giant step double that Lang uses is $1000 !!!! I have a single Giant Step that I got a bit discounted so it wasn't so bad, but Sonor pedals are the most ridiculously overpriced out there imo. Yours were probably a lower model or you got an insane deal.

I totally agree with your assesment regarding practice though.

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

I recently went from DW9000s to the Sonor GDP3s and couldnt be happier. I did however, buy the Sonors lightly used for about 1/2 the asking price. The fit/finish and playability is wonderful, much lighter and quicker....makes the DWs seem archaic.

F
Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
lol. Funny you mention Sonor. The Sonor giant step double that Lang uses is $1000 !!!! I have a single Giant Step that I got a bit discounted so it wasn't so bad, but Sonor pedals are the most ridiculously overpriced out there imo. Yours were probably a lower model or you got an insane deal.

I totally agree with your assesment regarding practice though.
Yeah, I didn't really consider that. Oddly enough, most people don't rave about the Sonors. I defintely did not have a Giant Step...just some simple single chain nothing-special Sonor pedals. After a long time under my feet, I was very happy with them.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't really consider that. Oddly enough, most people don't rave about the Sonors. I defintely did not have a Giant Step...just some simple single chain nothing-special Sonor pedals. After a long time under my feet, I was very happy with them.
Sometimes I wonder how much Sonor's pedal reputation has to do with price? They're definitely not bad pedals and the docking station is not without merit if you don't use lots of different bass drums (I don't, so I love it). If the double came in at a $400-$500 price range they would be more widely used and probably get better reviews. The high price point puts expectations through the roof imo.

And back to the OP. Does anyone have any more info on what exactly is new about the Axis pedals other than the 21 degree thing and footboards? Oh, and it has a cool new Dr.Evil "Laser" name now.

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Sometimes I wonder how much Sonor's pedal reputation has to do with price? They're definitely not bad pedals and the docking station is not without merit if you don't use lots of different bass drums (I don't, so I love it). If the double came in at a $400-$500 price range they would be more widely used and probably get better reviews. The high price point puts expectations through the roof imo.

And back to the OP. Does anyone have any more info on what exactly is new about the Axis pedals other than the 21 degree thing and footboards? Oh, and it has a cool new Dr.Evil "Laser" name now.
I'm sure that's exactly why they get a bad rep. For that much, you can get a top of the line laser, or Trick Pro1v bigfoot, Pearl Demon drive or axis al-2. To me, the sonor looks like on the same level as an iron cobra/ flying dragon/ eliminator.

BTW, the new "laser" is the official pedal of the "ALAN PARSON'S PROJECT"
MUHAHAHA MuHAhaha MUhaha muHa muha
Old 07-19-2010, 04:23 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
That doesn't make sense? Isn't that what they achieved with the sonic hammer? for a bent beater you pay 400 more? There's got to be more to it than a 21 degree angle.
i made this video to explain a bit about the A 21
hope it helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPhswBjfZfw
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
http://timwaterson.blogspot.com/
Old 07-19-2010, 05:45 AM
Platinum Member

And I remember my parents screaming about paying $50 for a new Ludwig Speed King for me back in 1978. My how times have changed.

Actually, for me they haven't. I have a couple of Iron Cobra Jrs. that I picked up for $40 each....I just didn't scream about the price. I'm trying to find a nice Tama/Camco pedal now...
Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

I'd rather not pay an arm, a leg, an eye, three fingers, both ears, the other arm, the other leg and half a brain for a pedal that i might not be fully comfortable with playing.

I'd have to get rid of half my brain to even consider spending that much on even just a single pedal, anyway.

Absolutely ludicrous.
xoxo
Old 08-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

This pedals look cool but 900.00 is just way too much money for a double pedal.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:56 AM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
This pedals look cool but 900.00 is just way too much money for a double pedal.
The A 21 Lazer double goes for less than 900 do a search.
FYI My original Axis shortboard double pedals cost me over 900 in the 90's
If you want a the BEST you need to pay a bit more..
FYI there are also other double pedals over 1100.00 and no where close to AXIS
Tim
www.timwaterson.net
http://timwaterson.blogspot.com/
Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Silver Member

Ok, so i found the laser double for 689.99 here
http://www.drummerswishlist.com/prod...ble-Pedal.html

So that makes it look more in my range.

Tim, does axis have a derek roddy 21 double pedal? I have only seen the single.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Waterson View Post
The A 21 Lazer double goes for less than 900 do a search.
FYI My original Axis shortboard double pedals cost me over 900 in the 90's
If you want a the BEST you need to pay a bit more..
FYI there are also other double pedals over 1100.00 and no where close to AXIS
Tim
Those A 21 Lazer pedals would still go for a lot more than a lot of other pedals out there. Under or over 900.

No Axis pedals are the BEST. The best pedal is the one that you feel really planted and comfortable playing. And if you feel comfortable with something like a DW 4000 series, then you don't necessarily NEED to pay a bit more.

Again, why pay over A GRAND for a pedal that might not feel as comfortable as a heavier pedal for less money. I'd happilt take a grand and spend 750 on a kit and 250 on a really nice pedal that i like the feel of.

I just don't see the practicality in paying that much for a pedal. Unless, of course, you have a butt load of money and know you like the feel of them.

xoxo
Old 08-10-2010, 05:13 AM
Silver Member

Hey Tim, With the foot board of the laser being so wide does it mess with the positioning of the hi hat pedal in a strange way when using the double pedal version of the laser? I just want to make sure that it would not push the hi hat pedal futher away or make me have to play it at a strange angle because of how wide the laser foot board is.

Also, do you think that the laser will be in production for good like the other axis pedals that have been around for years? Have they been selling well enough for axis to continue making them and selling them for years to come? I ask because i just want to make sure that if i get one that there will be support for the pedal with parts and things like that for a lot of years.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:31 AM
Crazy8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post

Also, do you think that the laser will be in production for good like the other axis pedals that have been around for years? Have they been selling well enough for axis to continue making them and selling them for years to come? I ask because i just want to make sure that if i get one that there will be support for the pedal with parts and things like that for a lot of years.
If this is a concern for you, why don't you just buy the AL2 longboards? Quit beating around the bush and start beating your drumhead with a new pedal! :)
Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
If this is a concern for you, why don't you just buy the AL2 longboards? Quit beating around the bush and start beating your drumhead with a new pedal! :)
I had the AL2 longboards a few years ago. I did not like them that much because of the lack of power (i dont trigger and dont plan to). I also did not like all the alan wrenchs that i had to use to adjust things. Also, the slave beater from my double pedal slipped forward and to be honest i assumed that that would just get worse over time. I admit that im picky with pedals :-)
Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Crazy8s

The only 'lack of power' from Axis pedals is due to lack of power in the player. They are as close to a direct translation of foot to drum as can be had and because of this they are unforgiving for sloppiness in play.

Many players will check them out in a store and find them lacking because they reveal the players imprecision then they spread the word of the pedals being 'weak'.

The reason why they 'feel' less powerful is because the moving parts are so much lighter that the 'felt' resistance to movement is so much lower. This resistance is known as 'inertia'. More mass, more inertia. More inertia means that you need more energy to accelerate it at the same speed, and this is why Axis 'feels' less powerful...because it takes less power/energy to play them than other pedals. The beater hits the head with as much or more energy than other pedals.

Because they are so different in moving mass and because of the direct linkage, new players generally need to get comfortable with them for a few weeks. When they get comfortable with them, they generally never go back to chain/strap drive pedals.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
The only 'lack of power' from Axis pedals is due to lack of power in the player. They are as close to a direct translation of foot to drum as can be had and because of this they are unforgiving for sloppiness in play.

Many players will check them out in a store and find them lacking because they reveal the players imprecision then they spread the word of the pedals being 'weak'.

The reason why they 'feel' less powerful is because the moving parts are so much lighter that the 'felt' resistance to movement is so much lower. This resistance is known as 'inertia'. More mass, more inertia. More inertia means that you need more energy to accelerate it at the same speed, and this is why Axis 'feels' less powerful...because it takes less power/energy to play them than other pedals. The beater hits the head with as much or more energy than other pedals.

Because they are so different in moving mass and because of the direct linkage, new players generally need to get comfortable with them for a few weeks. When they get comfortable with them, they generally never go back to chain/strap drive pedals.
All i know is that i used them for a good while and they had less power then any other pedal that i have ever used. I dont like to have to stomp super hard on a pedal to get it to have volume. This is what i had to do to get power out of that pedal and that is just too much work. I did like the lighter feel, but not at a cost of loss of power. The laser, from what i can tell from what i have read, fixes this problem.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

I found myself in most recent months, actually bringing the beaters a little closer (thus dropping the pedal board height) on my AL-2s just about an inch...which as they were a little further back, I had to work a little harder to keep the up-tempo stuff, uptempo. I used to think that because I had these huge size 13's, that I needed a little more height and a little more distance from the beaters to the batter in order to keep some flexible distance. I found the medium, and felt normal...but. A little change never hurt.

So by shortening the distance, I did in fact take some power out of the stroke and definitely don't hit the batter as hard, but I can say for sure that I'm not working nearly as hard from foot to knee to keep the same actions. For one little moment, I worried about volume...till my first few shows with the change...and haven't looked back as it just not a problem. No triggers.

I'd say that the Axis AL-2's (longboards) are the most versatile on the market. They can be adjusted to every preference, to meet every need or desire. It's just that simple.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

Has anyone else played the laser pedal (double or single)? Id love to hear your thoughts.