DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Default DW Drum Workshop Steve Smith Bass Drum Pad

Anyone own this pad? If so, is it worth the $73?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 PM

Default Re: DW Drum Workshop Steve Smith Bass Drum Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311Spider View Post
Anyone own this pad? If so, is it worth the $73?
Steve Smith? That would be a pretty big switch for him as he has used felt strips for the last 30 years
Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 PM

No, this is a practice pad for the feet. See below. Seems to me if you use a double pedal on one of these the actual pad may turn unless you have that rod screwed in really tight.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like the same pad as on the GO ANYWHERE pad set, which is kinda noisy and hard, not a great match of feel with a real kick drum.

I would get a mesh head, way quieter, better feel. Even if you have to buy a cheap, used bass drum shell to put a mesh head on you're better off IMO.

Seems to me if you use a double pedal on one of these the actual pad may turn unless you have that rod screwed in really tight.

The memory lock should hold it straight. You'd think Steve Smith would have tested/OK'd this, but hey, the GO ANYWHERE set pads twist, even the kick pad if it isn't cranked humanly tight as possible.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Just to follow up on this thread...I ended up going on ebay and buying a used Roland KD-8 kick trigger because I own a set of v-drums. This replaces my KD-7 trigger. I've got to say, it is one of the best purchases I have made drum-wise. I believe no one should practice using KD-7's unless they absolutely have to. The KD-8's feel much more like the real thing, they are quieter than the KD-7's, sturdy, accomodate double pedals, and they sound cool when they're not plugged in but used as just a practice pad. I paid $75 plus shipping. Good as new.

The only down side to them is that when using a double pedal on it you must align the beaters so that they are as centered as possible in order to get even volume on each pedal when plugged in. And when you do this your overall bass drum volume will be decreased since both beaters will be off center, but getting around this is just a matter of increasing the bass drum trigger volume at the module.

My advice for anyone looking for a good bass drum practice pad and/or trigger is to go for the KD-8. Even if you don't own an electronic set, this is a great practice pad.