DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 PM

Default Looking to add some electronics to my acoustic set.

I'm thinking of purchasing a drum pad to add on to my set. Something that will enable me to add a more electronic, techno-like sound and also some congo, tabla, etc. settings. I'm in a jam band and hoping it will add a lot more depth to our jams.

Price is also an issue, as I'm looking for one somewhere below $800.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Looking to add some electronics to my acoustic set.

I've had a Roland SPD-20 percussion pad for the last couple of years that has served me well. You could probably pick one up new or second hand for a good price.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:00 AM

Under $800? Totally go Roland SPD-S!! If you haven't seen any of the videos for it yet, definitely search them on Youtube. It's so versatile and useful.

Gah, can't tell you how much I wish I had an $800 budget. I'd get one in a heart beat.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

I second the Roland SPD-S. I bought mine "used" for $325. Not only does it have something like 180+ factory sounds in to, it also, being a sampler, lets you input your own sounds into it.
If that $800 needs to be completely spent, I run my SPD-S (left channel) thru a Loop Station. I currently have 2 different loop stations. One is an Electro-Harmonix, and the other is a DigiTech. A 3rd really good looper, would be the Boss XL20. All three boxes do "slightly different" things, hence, buy the right tool for the job.
Another "addition" to spice things up, the Korg Wave drum. Bought mine for $425. Just an awesome piece of hardware. The "sensitivity" on the Korg is astonishing.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:10 PM

While you can never go wrong with Roland gear, why not check out adding a good used Yamaha DT Express? They can usually be found on Craigslist or Ebay for $400 or so and now you have several crashes, a ride, & snare/bass/tom combinations that are virtually endless. Once I get caught up on some bills around here, I'd like to add a kit to my current acoustic just for the accents and diversity of kit sounds and fills I could add. Just put some or most of it to the left of your current kit and dial in what you need. Just a thought...
Attached Images