DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Head Questions with no end...

Default Aquarian Super 2's

Has anybody tried the Super 2's clear or coated for tom batters? If so what do you think? I have a Tama Starclassic Performer kit all birch 10,12,13,14&16. Thanks
Old 07-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Aquarian Super 2's

I've ran Aquarian's Response 2 on my church's kit for about a year or so. It's a birch kit too. The Response 2 is slightly thicker than the Super 2. (Response 2 is 7 mil/7 mil where the Super 2 is 7 mil/5 mil). That said, I'm not sure there will be that much discernable difference between the two heads unless you did a side by side comparison.

They give a great deep thumpy sound. I say go for it.

I have the coated Response 2 on my own kit and the clears on the church kit. The coated ones are slightly warmer.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

I used the Super 2s on the road for a while, they sound great, but just couldn't stand up to the test night after night. I was changing Tom heads every other show... I tried everything too, Coated, Clear, With a studio-x ring, with a dot... The dot helped a lot, but I didn't like the tone with it. After that I changed to Responce 2's and never looked back, they last forever and hold tone really really well.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
I used the Super 2s on the road for a while, they sound great, but just couldn't stand up to the test night after night. I was changing Tom heads every other show... I tried everything too, Coated, Clear, With a studio-x ring, with a dot... The dot helped a lot, but I didn't like the tone with it. After that I changed to Responce 2's and never looked back, they last forever and hold tone really really well.
And THAT would be the main difference between the two heads...durability. Go for the Response 2s if you can, Ledfoot.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Head Questions with no end...

Thanks for the suggestions I'm going to try Aquarian and Attack. Just looking for something different other than Remo or Evans.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Silver Member

I have coated Response 2's on my Yamaha YD kit which is stacked up right now, but they are similar to the Supers which have been spoken for already.

I liked them. They gave a nice sound even when I didn't take time to tune the drums properly; and I never used dampening. You can hear a new set on any of my newest recordings, www.myspace.com/jaredjongeling.

They record easily and sound great in person too. I'd say go for it and see what you think.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:18 PM

I've used Super-2 clear, both with and without the studio X-ring, over Classic Clear resonants. I think of them as a warmer, easier-to-tune Emperor with a longer lifespan and less tendency to dent up if you tune just above wrinkling/flapping.

For my tastes, the Super-2 is my preferred high-volume/heavy-hit head, with the X-ring variant used only on a 16 or larger drum to dry things out just a bit.

When micing or playing a lower pressure levels, I switch to Studio-x clear, which has similar performance/tone characteristics, but with a response "sweet spot" at lighter levels.