DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 PM

Default Subwoofer?

not sure if i posted in right spot...the band i'm in plays alternative covers and was wondering what you guys use for subs. i was looking at getting a pair of 18" subs and was just curious...thanx
Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Subwoofer?

Subs made by who? Powered by what amps?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 PM

Just make sure you have a hefty enough amp to drive whatever subs you get!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:15 PM
"Uncle Larry"

The PA uses subwoofers, but they have to be matched to that particular system. It's not like as a drummer I provide subs. They're part of the PA (or not). So your question confuses me.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:33 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

I think he's talking about using a sub for a monitor? Drummers love using a sub along with a monitor. The bass drum just kicks your butt, anyway 2 18's should work well, but make sure you get a good amp or whoever is running it can send you enough power. You might consider getting a butt kicker.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Agreed, what's the application? For running a band though, JBL tunes their subs to sound like they have more output than they do. They have a hump between 50 and 70Hz that sounds like huge bass without actually going very low. 518s or 718s will make great drum monitor subs or handle a band in a small club. I've played outdoor festivals where all they had were two 728s on each side and they rocked the crowd. Of course each box had it's own PL6 amp and the whole bit sucked a good hundred amps off the genset.

While I've never heard one, there is a sub called a Growler that the small system providers on the ProSoundWeb rave over. Supposed to produce the equivalent of a single 18 off of something that looks like a 12" version of the old EV T18. Danley Sound Labs also makes small subs that are supposed to have prodigious output.

The 18Sound LW1400s that I have got superseded by a new version that's rated at 2000W each. I imagine that things like the EAW SB1000 that use them have massive output if you can find an amp to push them that hard.

Just stay away from JBL JRX entry level and all the off brands like Cerwin Vega (not what they used to be), B52 and the like.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Silver Member

I run a powered sub with a dry out and a built in crossover. This allows me to come out of the board into the sub then out to the amp for the mains. Makes the rig lighter because I dont need a seperate outboard amp and crossover for one speaker. I use 1 of these http://www.mackie.com/products/swa1801z/ and have found that it is always enough for any club we play.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:08 AM

Thanks guys for the insight...it'll be driven off a Peavey XR series i believe, i know, not high end by any means....we're buying all of our own pa gear so was just curious. I know matching this to that for overall sound is paramount, but reading your replys helps navigate me a little better, maybe a better amp is in my near future ha...thanks again!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris View Post
I think he's talking about using a sub for a monitor? Drummers love using a sub along with a monitor. The bass drum just kicks your butt, anyway 2 18's should work well, but make sure you get a good amp or whoever is running it can send you enough power. You might consider getting a butt kicker.
The Buttkickers are cool. I was backstage at a Tower of Power concert (got to meet and hang with the guys in the green room!) and Dave Garibaldi uses them on his throne.

On a different subject, I play and love Yamaha drums, but am not a fan of the PHX line. They just sound weird under mics!
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 AM
Platinum Member

Has the OP ever come back and said whether this is a sub for mains or monitors?

Buttkickers are hard on conventional amps. David is using the proprietary Buttkicker amp in that pic. If you want to run it off the Peavey, get on the ProSoundWeb and send a PM to John Roberts. He used to be an engineer at Peavey and usually answers such questions intelligently.

(he's also the inventor of the Resotune thing that is supposed to help you tune a drumhead with no overtones)
Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 PM

Oops sorry....The sub would be for the mains....the amp that i have right now is a Peavey xr680e which i believe they don't make the xr series anymore. I was wondering if this amp would support 2 18" subs or what you guys thought about it. The idea is to have something to support small clubs and outdoor events. thanks again....
Old 07-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

The standard advice is to have an amp around twice the power rating that your speakers can handle. There is a whole scientific reason for this having to do with power crest factors and the like. You could read the Yamaha live sound handbook if you want to be able to work out all the math. But the basic rule of thumb is 2x.

The worst thing you can do to a speaker is feed a distorted signal to it. That is why you don't want the amp clipping or distorting before you reach the speaker's limits.

When the speaker starts distorting, then you are at your limit.

Some of those Peavey amps have fairly clever anti clip protection built into them. In which case, as long as you don't turn it off, or otherwise cause the amp (or mixer/crossover/anything else in the signal chain in front of it) to distort, you can use speakers with greater than 1:2 power ratings. Make sure you aren't getting waylaid by peak or other hyped power ratings along the way.

FWIW, the Yamaha Club subs use Eminence Deltamax 600W 18" drivers and aren't a bad way to go on the cheap. The small time regional pros are all worked up over the various small Yorkville horn loaded subs if you can find some of those.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:33 AM

Thanks a bunch Aeolian.....will look for some Yam Clubs or Yorkville's. Actually found a pair of Yorks in my hometown, used, YX18's ......anyway thanks...