DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Silver Member

Default Humes and berg enduro cases

Does anyone have any of these cases? What do you think of them if so? How is the padding on the inside of these cases? How do they compare to SKB hard cases?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Humes and berg enduro cases

Don't know about the other brands but I love my H & B's..
Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

All of the plastic cases - SKB, Hardcase, Humes & Berg - are very similar. I have a Humes Enduro cymbal case, got it around 15 years ago. It was a very good purchase and these cases are well made. You can't go wrong with them.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

I know that the skb's are stackable.. Are the Humes and burg's?
Old 07-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Love the H&B Enduros - those were my first set of cases. Stackable. And no foam, which I thought was cool, you don't really need the foam, you just need the case to be able to withstand something hitting it and deflecting the energy.

I think SKB and Gator have followed the H&B lead. But I did just get a great deal on some Gator hardcases, and those are really good too, but those are lined.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

H&B Enduros are stackable.
I got mine eons ago, and I love them.

Super durable, straps and snaps are great, handles are great, enough room for spurs and RIMS mounts, etc...

Didn't bother with the foam. It's not needed IMO/E.

Because, if you get stuck playing a gig where you have to load everything outside when your done, and it's raining...you're screwed. The foam, or fabric lined padding will get wet, or worse, soaked, and it's a big headache.

I had it happen to me once. Had a bunch of real nice Vulcanized fiber cases with foam, worked great, loved them..... Then at one gig there was a flash downpour and all my cases were beyond f*k'ed....and I was using a 28" bass drum at the time. Replacing that was not fun.

I bought the Enduros, and haven't looked back. The square cymbal case is great too, if you don't go past a 22".

I still just use my Vulc fiber (tall w/casters) hardware case. It had no foam, and it dried out both pieces together, so it warped evenly...I've had it 20 years now, and it's battered, but it still works fine.

16 yrs on the first few Enduros now, still just as good as when I bought them, and they haven't been babied at all.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 PM

The Humes and Berg exposed type foam is a drag... it crumbles and rots. and it can make a mess of your finish too if it reacts.

the SKB cases come with lined padding - the foam or whatever is lined with a smooth fabric that prevents the foam from ripping and crumbling and coming in contact with your finish. I think the SKB's are the best cases on the market right now - but they are not cheap.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqadan View Post
The Humes and Berg exposed type foam is a drag... it crumbles and rots. and it can make a mess of your finish too if it reacts.

the SKB cases come with lined padding - the foam or whatever is lined with a smooth fabric that prevents the foam from ripping and crumbling and coming in contact with your finish. I think the SKB's are the best cases on the market right now - but they are not cheap.
Thanks for that info man! That is a big help for sure!

and thanks to everybody else for the info as well!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:28 PM

No problem - you probably can't go wrong with the unlined Enduros as well.. i just prefer not to have my tubs rattling around inside their cases... it bugs me for some reason. Prolly just my drummer OCD at work!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

I have lined H&B cases. They're great, even the lined padding stands up, except for the lining tends to come away from the outer shell at the top. This is because my hoops/rims mounts cause them to peel away when putting the drums in the case. Only an issue if the fit is a bit snug. Nothing that a few minutes with a 2 pack adhesive won't fix. Otherwise, no complaints.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqadan View Post
No problem - you probably can't go wrong with the unlined Enduros as well.. i just prefer not to have my tubs rattling around inside their cases... it bugs me for some reason. Prolly just my drummer OCD at work!
Im the same about not wanting my drums to rattle around in the cases. So i think im gonna go with the skb's.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
Im the same about not wanting my drums to rattle around in the cases. So i think im gonna go with the skb's.
I've had my drums in unlined cases for 20 years. Seriously, they'll be just fine.

That said, SKB make some of the finest drum cases I've seen yet. Good choice!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I've had my drums in unlined cases for 20 years. Seriously, they'll be just fine.

i have had skb's for a long time on my current kit. I figured id check out what other cases had to offer before i buy new cases for my new kit that i plan to be getting soon. But it looks like ill be sticking with skb's for that kit as well.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:48 AM
"Uncle Larry"

If you think about it, it's the lugs that touch the inside of the case, not the finish, lining or no lining. So any abrasions will be on the outside of the lugs. Unlined cases with custom cut blankets might work nice, maybe save some coin too. That way you can wrap them in whatever fabric you choose. If it wasn't so wrong, and I could afford it, I'd use custom made mink fur bags mmmm.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:30 AM
Crazy8s

The H&B Enduros are nice. Bear in mind that if the cases are foam lined, you will need to get the next size up if you are using RIMS mounts. Without the lining, drums will barely fit in them if they have RIMS mounts.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
The H&B Enduros are nice. Bear in mind that if the cases are foam lined, you will need to get the next size up if you are using RIMS mounts. Without the lining, drums will barely fit in them if they have RIMS mounts.
Do you think this will be the case with skb's when i get my yamaha stage custom kit?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
Do you think this will be the case with skb's when i get my yamaha stage custom kit?
Anybody's foam will rot, rip and crumble... like someone said, better off w/o foam.

Better to line the cases with (speaker cabinet, or thin auto) carpet., not worry about going oversized.

H&B ENDURO stack, but they don't stack with anything but H&B ENDURO like most plastic cases and (like most plastic cases) they're 'very' slippery on each other.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Anybody's foam will rot, rip and crumble... like someone said, better off w/o foam.

Better to line the cases with (speaker cabinet, or thin auto) carpet., not worry about going oversized.

H&B ENDURO stack, but they don't stack with anything but H&B ENDURO like most plastic cases and (like most plastic cases) they're 'very' slippery on each other.
Well, what im asking is will i have to get a 24 inch bass drum case for a 22 inch bass drum with my stage custom kit with a a padded skb case? And would this also be the same with a higher end yamaha kit?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

My Endoro cases handle a RIMS mount fine for each size. No need to go up.

The bass drum should fit the size case it's made for (22 in a 22" case) no matter what brand.

Any padding is only 1/4" thick at the most, and it's spongy.

But, you really don't need it IMO/E.

A drum isn't going to "rub", or, get banged inside the case, and the finish doesn't get near the sides because of the lugs on the drum.

If you feel better
getting foam lined cases, go ahead, but from my experience, it's just not necessary.

If a drum were to get damaged in a plastic case, no amount of foam was going to protect it.
The only time I'd consider foam lined is if you are on a tour, and the drums were getting shipped somewhere (but then you'd want road cases), but for normal gigging around town, where you are the one mostly doing the moving, I really wouldn't bother.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2010, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post

Agreed. I have been using Hardcases for about four years and they are unlined. Only the lugs and hardware touch the plastic anyway. Soft cases need to be lined to protect the drums, but the best thing coming into contact with your wood is ... nothing at all.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

I have thought of carpet and it would work well, but it would add considerable weight.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

I have thought of carpet and it would work well, but it would add considerable weight.

Not cabinet carpet or auto carpet, its cheap, lightweight, cuts with shears, goes on easy with spray adhesive and colours can and do look cool inside the cases.