DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-25-2010, 09:10 PM

Default has anyone tried the Aquarian Studio X coated?

Hi,

Okay, so anyone who knows me from my other posts probably knows I play a Sonor S Classix and I'm into Aquarian heads. But if you didn't know that...you do now!

So here's the thing. Aquarians are getting harder to find. I thought instead of hunting every time I need a new head I'd just go with one of the other brands. I live in Ireland. The big brands here are Remo and Evans.

So I tried G2s and that has turned out to be a big mistake! They're a great sounding head and the coating has really held up...better then expected...but I've major detuning problems. By that I mean, any longer than 10 or 20 mins of playing and I have to re-tune all of the toms!

So this is what I'm thinking. I played Texture Coated and they were a bit ringy...sounded best with some moongel. I tried the coated Response 2...they were a bit too heavy for me. They felt very stiff.

I'm think of doing one of two things....one of which might be a big mistake...that's why I'm here.

One: I love the sound of Gavin Harrison's Sonor SQ2. He has Remo coated Emperors on toms and C.S. on the snare. Should I give these a try? I'm wondering if Remo would be a big mistake. Last week I was ready to buy a bunch of Emps for my kit...but I bought this new 13x5 Sonor S Class Maple snare and that had an Ambassador on it. There wasn't a mark on it...until I started to play it! I was still in the shop trying it out and the coating was flying off! I actually stopped playing it and just paid for the snare because this coating was coming off so fast. I've been playing it as a side snare...not using it much...and I can almost see right through it now.

If I go with Remo am I gonna have a kit full of Emperors with big flakes of coating gone in a matter of hours? I heard something about a new coating...any truth to that?

Two: I could stick with Aquarian and their bulletproof coating. I was thinking about the Studio X because they would be kinda like a Texture Coated with moongel, right? Cause they're 1ply with dampening. Any other ideas?

If all else fails I might just give in and go with clear Response 2. I'm not big into clear heads...

All thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

SonorPlayer
Old 07-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: has anyone tried the Aquarian Studio X coated?

I would stick with Aquarian. The best heads and coating out there IMO.

Another 1-ply head to consider is the Focus-X. It has a small perimeter ring tucked on the bottom. If you wanted to go 2-ply, you could try the Super 2 head. They aren't as thick as Response 2, so maybe those will work for you.

As far as Remos losing their coatings prematurely, search around the forum. Everyone has had varying experience with them. As for me, notice that I play Aquarian... ;-)
Old 07-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

Yes I have,
I use them to record. They sound great!
When I finish recording with them I peel the muffle rings off of them and I have a great sounding single ply head with a coating that won't quit!
The rings peel off easily with just your finger nail. They leave no glue on the head when you peel them.

I also use them with the rings in tact on my shallow concert toms from my Pearl Rhythm Traveler. They sound great on those drums also.

They are a warm dry sounding head with moderate sustain and few overtones on conventional toms.

When the rings are removed they sound like coated Ambassadors. (Slightly Warmer) The coating is a bit thicker than Remo.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM

Well, I went for it picked up the Studio X heads for my S Classix in 10'', 12'', 16''. I also picked up a Texture Coated with Power Dot for my 13'' snare.

I'm thinking of posting a review once I've spent some time with them.

I think people really need to know more about Aquarian heads. Their coating doesn't chip...they have more low end than any of the other brands...why aren't more people playing their heads?

Yet people remain loyal to other brands that drive them crazy with de-tuning...coating coming off after only a half an hour of playing, etc. Is it just a matter of...this is what I know...so they won't try anything else?

Well, there's my rant for today.

First thoughts on the Studio X...my 16'' floor tom sounds amazing! It's dark, it's really really warm, it has tone...there's no ringy-ness (is that a word?)...it just the right amount of control I would want. Actually I had to use moongel before...even then it just didn't sound this good. It actually sounds like a recording...almost. I'm not saying it would do this to everyone's 16'' floor tom...but right now it's really working with my Sonor.

When I've played them in a bit I'll come back with more thoughts.

While I'm on the subject of Aquarian heads...

Has anyone checked out this french guy that played at the Meinl Drum Festival? He plays Mapex with Aquarian heads. I've been trying to find out more about him...no one seems to know who he is. Anyone know what Aquarian heads he plays? It's not listed on their website.

SonorPlayer
Old 07-27-2010, 09:17 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

It's funny. Am I the only person who has never had a problem with Remo heads?

I now play FiberSkyns, but I've used both Evans and Remo. Aquarians can be harder to find. Evans just don't have the tone I'm looking for, so I've played mainly Rome batters for a long time now (I like Evans resonant heads) and I've never once had a head that has had issues with coating. Never.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 PM

Well, I have talked to some Remo users that say they've never had any problems with their coating. I'm sure that's true.

But 9 times out of ten when I hear guys talking about Remo's coating...it's usually because they're having major problems with it. I'm not knocking Remo. As I said, I was nearly going to go with Remo because I love how they sounded on Gavin Harrison's Sonor.

I just feel that for such a big brand that has such big artists playing their products...they should put a little more thought into their coating. That's the only issue I have with them.

If Aquarian can come up with a coating that just holds up no matter what...then I think Remo can too. If it wasn't for their coating I probably would be playing Remo too...because Aquarian is getting harder to find...and any dealers I talk to are all giving up on Aquarian because it's coasting them too much and the sales aren't there...at least in Ireland. Hard times I guess.

Remo seems to be everywhere...and yet everyone seems to be moaning about the coating. I mean drummer friends...drum dealers, etc.

But for me i expect a coating to last. Given that everyone is having a harder time and money doesn't grow on trees...it's not much to ask that the coated heads we buy hold up for at least a reasonable amount of time.

Am I wrong?

Well, that's my second rant for today.

haha

SonorPlayer
Old 07-28-2010, 12:21 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

No disagreement! I just haven't had any problems with Remo heads ever.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Silver Member

I tried Aquarian Studio X Coateds a few years ago. They sounded fine bot the coating flew off my 10 tom in the first few days. Never tried them again.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member

Here's my take on the Remo vs. Aquarian issue.

I'm one of those that have had issues with Remo heads. I've also had an Aquarian head that had the coating crack. The major difference was the amount of defective heads and the response from the company.

With Remo, I played several of their heads and I had only one that didn't have premature wear issues. The worst by far were the Fiberskyn heads. I loved the way they sounded but the coating would bubble within a week or so. This is after an hour or two of practice almost everyday. I also had a Vintage A head that had chipped coating and marks just from tuning it up. That was the last straw. I contacted them to see what they would do - even if it was to replace the head. Nope. Nothing. No, 'We're sorry" or anything. No call was ever returned. That was the last head I purchased from them.

Aquarian, on the other hand, was more than willing to fix my one issue...out of several heads I've purchased from them. In fact, Roy Burns himself has helped me with a few questions regarding their heads. When I called Aquarian about the cracked coating, they offered to send me a replacement head without me even having to send in the defective one. A company that stands behind its product like that and be willing to provide replacement pieces and advice - for a nobody drummer - will always have my business.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

The Aquarian coating is without a doubt different from the Remo coating.
It is thicker and warmer sounding.
Also, I have some coated Aquarian heads that I bought at about the same time as I bought Remo coated heads.
I have about the same amount of playing time on each of them. The Aquarian's show substantially less wear on the coating than the Remo's do.

I like Remo heads, Please don't think that I am saying that Remo coated heads are inferior.
They are simple different from the Aquarian coated heads.

And then there is the Super Kick series! Wow! That is all that I can say! Wow!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:48 PM

Brady you make a very good point.

I was going to contact Remo about that coated Ambassador to see if they had plans to work on a new coating. But then I went onto their forum and saw a bunch of posts from people saying the same thing about the coating.

Remo just keeps giving a very standard reply about how they're always looking to improve their product and that from time to time a bad head gets out there, etc, but do send us the head blah blah blah you're helping us make a better product for you...and so on.

In other words, they aren't really going to bother.

That's when I got in touch with Chris over at Aquarian to ask for his help with getting the right head. I told him I still had my stock Sonor resos on and the Texture Coated was a bit too ringy. He said that it might help if I put on some Classic Clears. Sometimes stock resos can cause that ringy-ness. Or I could try Studio X. That's how I ended up posting here.

I'm sure that if I contacted Remo looking for the same kind of help...there'd be no reply.

So I'm pretty sure Aquarian can count on me sticking with them!

SonorPlayer
Old 07-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorplayer View Post
So I tried G2s and that has turned out to be a big mistake! They're a great sounding head and the coating has really held up...better then expected...but I've major detuning problems. By that I mean, any longer than 10 or 20 mins of playing and I have to re-tune all of the toms!
Now that's weird. Did all your toms detune? If so, that sounds more like a lug issue than anything else. That said, with Sonor, I doubt that very much. I've almost always played G2's and never had a detune issue.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:43 PM

All three toms detuned. But it's not the drums. I took the G2s off the other day to put on the Aquarians and the problem is gone.

I'm not saying all G2s are bad. I actually loved playing them. They sounded great!

But something went wrong somewhere. When I took the heads off they were all soft in the middle...flappy...like they'd been over streched. I didn't have them tuned high that they would go like that...I'm not one of these heavy hitters...I actually try to play as soft as I can to bring the note out of the toms...I forget what they call that...but I'm actually pulling away from the head rather than trying to bury the stick into the head.

But hey, maybe it was a bad bunch I got. It happens. But I can't afford to have that happen often...not saying it would...but you know...I don't have the money to throw away. And since I don't have an endorsement deal...I have to pay for my heads...so they need to last.

I've yet to have any problems with Aquarian. The ringyness of the Texture Coated is really only a matter of taste. Don't like it on my toms...like some ring out of the snare. Love the Texture Coated on my 14'' snare. Real meaty!

SonorPlayer