DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

Default Increasing bass drum attack?

I put on a braaaaand spanking new batter head on my kick the other day. Saturday to be specific. It's an Aquarian Superkick 1 and so far so good. I like the sound and with or without the pillow in there it sounds great. The low end that things draws when it's empty is amazing.

Now, with the pillow in there (because i like it really dampened) the attack isn't quite as punchy as i'd like it. So for now, i'm thinking about getting one of those clear Evans plastic patches. They're advertised as the sort of patch that 'increases attack and durability'.

I've tried one before on an EMAD 2 and liked the overall sound. Just wondering what other peoples' experiences withe them are since i only tried that one, i don't own one and don't know how long they last etc.

xoxo
Old 07-19-2010, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Increasing bass drum attack?

Do you mean the one that the beater hits? Those are great to help keep the head in tact. It also dampens the head a little bit to get rid of a few overtones. Plus with a plastic beater, the drum will sound pretty loud.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Gold Member

Yes, no matter what you do, get a patch. Bass drum heads are expensive. The Evans patch doesn't affect the sound much, the Remo falam patch does add some attack.

Then, if you have multiple beater surfaces (as Gethsemane suggests) try them.

If you play out unmiked, take the pillow out of the drum or no one will ever hear it. Tune for boom. Miked, do whatever you like. Your sound will be a figment of the sound guy's imagination anyway. ;-)
Old 07-20-2010, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

You could do what Terry Bozzio did in the old days: cut out a little patch from an old head, and tape it to your beater spot. He said it helped him get that "clicky attack sound" when his plastic beaters hit the drum.

Are you mic'd up all the time? I'd only run with damping in the drum if I was mic'd. Otherwise, it's wide open all the time. I don't want to work too hard.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

99.9% of the time my kit will never leave my house so this is purely for home use. Bearing that in mind, the pillow inside is just because it helps me get the sound i like. It's not touching the batter head and i've yet to put on the reso but it's just the right size to cover most of the space of the drum inside. In a way, dampening the air being pushed rather than the head itself.

I have DW 7000 pedals which are always dual surface and right now i've got them plastic side towards the head, so i'm gunna go for the Evans patch for now. Unless something else comes up that offers a better and, preferably, cheaper solution then i'm set.
xoxo
Old 07-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
You could do what Terry Bozzio did in the old days: cut out a little patch from an old head, and tape it to your beater spot. He said it helped him get that "clicky attack sound" when his plastic beaters hit the drum.
The trick to that is to slightly pucker the Patch - maybe 1/4" - so that it creates a slap/click when it meets the head. I used to do that when recording, and it made a big difference.

Bermuda
Old 07-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Silver Member

I think i'll stick with the Evans patch for now. I simply wouldn't trust myself with the skills and lack of strong glue/adhesive to put a piece of the previous head on there.

I'd just be much more comfortable with the patch.
xoxo
Old 07-23-2010, 05:53 AM
Silver Member

I have a evans eq patch and it's great. there are different models for different purposes , the one made of keblar is the one that gives more attack
Old 07-26-2010, 05:22 AM
DTDDrums

Evans eq patch, Evans emad2, and stuffin' your bass with a feather blanket about half way full.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:58 AM

I remember there was a ratio to how tight the reso and batter heads should be to get that specific punching sound. Sorry that i forgot... its been so many months since i left home for college and my acoustic kit. Cutting a hole on the reso head helps too, but depending on what you want, don't make the hole dead center. Left or right will do, Maybe both if you want it really punchy. Goodluck!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDDrums View Post
Evans eq patch, Evans emad2, and stuffin' your bass with a feather blanket about half way full.
Superb advice for those of you who want to halve the volume, kill projection, remove all bottom end & most of the tone from your kick drum.

I've just come back from a 6 band, 30K PA gig. The drummer in one band liked the"spin dryer" effect too, and his FOH sound was crap. Why? Because the drum didn't actually produce enough of the available sound spectrum to boost. The poor sound guy simply had nothing to work with. That level of dampening becomes even more of a problem if you want to play out acoustically.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Silver Member

Yeah the muffling on my newly fitted SK 1 really lowers the volume/attack. When i was running it wide open without the reso and no extra muffling it made the most incredible low-end gurgle that reverberated throughout my room. I like that sound, but it wasn't what i was going for, i might do in the future though. So i put the pillow back in that was in there before and pressed it against the head like it was before.

There was very little attack, even with the plastic beater side, and the volume was greatly lowered. I moved the pillow so it was covering part of the drum so the air wasn't escaping much but it wasn't pressed up against the head and this worked a bit better.

I'm thinking of just getting a smaller pillow. This one can completely fill up the 22! And i have also been researching the old 'burn a reso hole' trick with a can recently. As well as visiting bob gatzen on youtube a lot to do the whole 'get the wrinkles, bring 'em back up' thing he's got going. Turned out quite well.

I'm still gunna go for the Evans plastic patch for sure but i'm also gunna experiment a little with a smaller pillow and just the virgin kick etc.

cheers so far guys!
xoxo