DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 07-21-2010, 04:00 PM

Default Looking for a new double pedal

Hello all,

Could anyone suggest a good double pedal? Specifically, I'm looking for a non-chain pedal in which (on a right handed setup) the left pedal feels exactly the same as the right pedal, meaning, you don't need to exert anymore force to bring the left pedal down than you do the right pedal. Does this even exist?

I have an old Camco double pedal and its time to upgrade. The left pedal definitely requires a little more effort than the right pedal. On top of that, there is a little bit of leeway on the left pedal where if you push down on it only slightly you will not move the beater. I see Pearl pedals mention something called "waggle." I don't know what exactly they are referring to but I wouldn't be surprised if it is what I just mentioned. My problem could be because it is an old, less expensive and worn slave unit pedal, but I seem to have experienced this issue even with some new ones I've tried.

Now, I'm not willing to spend $500 or more for a pedal, so Trick and Axis are out of the question. Surely there must be a good, solid double pedal on the market for under $350.

A couple that I'm considering: Pearl P-2002B PowerShifter Eliminator Double Pedal and Yamaha Double Bass Drum Pedal, Direct Drive, althought the price for this one is pushing my limits.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Looking for a new double pedal

If it's possible your best bet is to go to a store that carries a decent variety of pedals, try them all out and then go from there. You really couldn't go wrong with the 2 pedals you mentiond. I use the Eliminators and i wouldn't part with them for nothing in the world.

I know that's not much help but you really would be better off shopping for them yourself and makeing up your own mind on what you need. Good luck to ya!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
If it's possible your best bet is to go to a store that carries a decent variety of pedals, try them all out and then go from there. You really couldn't go wrong with the 2 pedals you mentiond. I use the Eliminators and i wouldn't part with them for nothing in the world.

I know that's not much help but you really would be better off shopping for them yourself and makeing up your own mind on what you need. Good luck to ya!!!
Another one to look at as well DW 3000 pedals. Just come out not long ago.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:36 PM

Alright, i scored the Pearl PowerShifter Eliminator from Musicians Friend for $255, thanks to a sale. Not a bad price.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:33 AM

Congrats!!!!!!! You'll love those pedals!!!! When i first got mine it took me a while to decide which cam i liked best( eventually settled on the red cam ) but other than that they have been great pedals.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:40 AM

THanks. Hey, do you experience any of the issues I mentioned, like having to apply more pressure on the left board to get the same stroke as the right, and a small amount of free play in the left pedal?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 AM

I've never noticed any free play with my slave pedal...at least not to the extent that it affected my playing.

As far as applying more pressure to the pedal. It could be a spring tension thing or it could just be that your left foot just hasn't caught up with your right yet..assuming your right handed. I'm not shure how long you have been playing a double pedal but i would say it would be one of the two if not both. I actually have the spring on my right pedal a little tighter than my left but that's just the way i like mine set-up.

This may or may not be much help but it's the only things i can think of that it could be.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlad123 View Post
Another one to look at as well DW 3000 pedals. Just come out not long ago.
They're a single chain, beginners pedal. Just one up from the bottom end 2000 series.

You'd be better off with at least (the now discontinued) 5000 series and above, minimum.
xoxo