DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-13-2010, 10:58 PM

Default Drum Sub??

I am on a seemingly endless expensive route to get a good drum monitor for live gigs ranging from small clubs to huge corporate parties - seems the only thing that works are big *** speakers and a heavy amp - I recently tried a thumper , it was ok , but I am not sure about bigger gigs -

can you guys chime in - I like ALOT of fat heavy kick / snare/ toms and a single 15" is not enough - I don't have a big truck - look for smaller , less expensive alternatives -

thanks!

matthias
www.matthiasrocks.com
Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Drum Sub??

Are you fighting to get your monitor over the stage volume or just like or want a big sound for yourself?

The bigger your stage and the bigger your gigs thing will dramatically change. The larger that stage lessons the stage volume and ďtypicallyĒ your working with proís that will help you guys all hear yourself better buy turning the amps down or putting up shields in front of them so the sound guy can give you the monitor mix you want so you can play your best.

The thump has nothing to do with the driver size. For a portable small size with decent thump would start with a NX200 single 10 inch power sub. Itís bigger brother the 15inch 720 would certainly fit the bill or even the 700 in a 2X10 configuration but it becoming less friendly to move around. I think there are some offerings from JBL PRX series in this range as well but Iím not as familiar with that line.

You will still need a full range speaker on top of one of these subs if you went this route. Most subs should be crossed over between 100 and 120hz so for the attack of the kick and all your toms and snare will need the top or be cut off.

So a 12 or 15inch self power top from the Yorkville NX or elite series or the MRX or PRX (whatever is the powered version) from JBL will work well and provide years of service.

The easier and MUCH cheaper alternative is to ask everyone else to turn down!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:30 AM

Another option would be to insert a split snake so you tap off the signal being sent to the main board. Then get a small mixer (size determined buy the number of mic channels you need) you set beside yourself set your own mix and send it to your own IEMís (IN-EAR MONITORS)
This setup is portable and will net you the best mix possible.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Huh?

Is this a monitoring system for yourself or are you responsible for getting your sound into the house? How is it that you would need that much sound? How can your band be that much louder?

Perhaps I'm not understanding your situation - do you have a sound company that brings in the sound system? It sounds to me like that's what you're describing. Either you're going deaf or your band is blowing through 20,000 watts and you can't keep up.

Plus, you want it all to fit into a smaller car? This sounds like some kind of impossible dream. Please give us more details. Maybe in-ears is what you need?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 AM

Itís not that far off. Several places I do sound at have a sub and full range monitor to make up the drum monitorÖ Headroom is a wonderful thingÖ but you donít always have to use it. With a setup like that I can provide the feel of the kick and a clear picture of whatís going on without ripping off your head.

My son loves it but he is a 14 year old Death Metal Drummer and gets mad when I make him wear ear plugs!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

I guess I'm concerned with your intent. I'm an audio guy here at Disneyland and we have bands come through every day of the week.

We never give the musicians that kind of monitor mix. It's good, yes, but it's never anything that killer. The musicians seem to understand that it's all about what's going into the house, not necessarily what they hear, because that's where the money is made. We use alot of in-ear monitoring equipment and the bands are happy with that. The drummer gets a sub, but it's strictly to reinforce, not be a mix unto itself.

If you're doing this for your 14 year old son, I'm wondering what his hearing is going to be like when he's 18. Alot of our old-time rockstars began suffering from hearing loss in their early 40s - due to the advancements in the technology today, does your son want to be completely deaf by his 21st birthday?

On the other hand, could his drumset need some help? Usually, if we get a great sounding kit, it doesn't take much of the sound system to reproduce it. If it's all muffled down and you're depending on the sound system to make it sound great, that could be a challenge to consider as well.

I'm all for headroom, but if you need the monitor power to play 3500-seat halls but you only play 1500-seat halls, then I think there's something wrong here. Or am I being blind about something else?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I guess I'm concerned with your intent. I'm an audio guy here at Disneyland and we have bands come through every day of the week.

We never give the musicians that kind of monitor mix. It's good, yes, but it's never anything that killer. The musicians seem to understand that it's all about what's going into the house, not necessarily what they hear, because that's where the money is made.
What does the FOH mix have to do with the monitor mix we are discussing?

We use alot of in-ear monitoring equipment and the bands are happy with that. The drummer gets a sub, but it's strictly to reinforce, not be a mix unto itself.
If your drummer is running an IEM why would you provide a sub?

If you're doing this for your 14 year old son, I'm wondering what his hearing is going to be like when he's 18. Alot of our old-time rockstars began suffering from hearing loss in their early 40s - due to the advancements in the technology today, does your son want to be completely deaf by his 21st birthday?
Dam you got meÖ Iím a complete idiot. I guess Iím lucky he has made it this far under my foolish guidance! LOL A full rage monitor and a 200 watt 10 inch sub running 50 to 100 hz is some how going to harm my sons hearing? Not at all ! ! ! Feedback will but my mix at 10 feet sure wont. Even at that as I said I have him wear earplugs.

On the other hand, could his drumset need some help? Usually, if we get a great sounding kit, it doesn't take much of the sound system to reproduce it. If it's all muffled down and you're depending on the sound system to make it sound great, that could be a challenge to consider as well.
The night before last Rush played here. At sound check Neilís kit sounded absolutely amazing and although we get sidetracked to repair status during the show (they have their own sound crew) we still oversee whatís happening and even his kit needed a hundreds thousands watts to sound good to 25,000 people.

I'm all for headroom, but if you need the monitor power to play 3500-seat halls but you only play 1500-seat halls, then I think there's something wrong here. Or am I being blind about something else?
Can YOU really do sound reinforcement in a 3500 person hall with 1 monitor and a 10 inch sub?

The sound provider should supply whatever monitor mix the artist requires to do their job as long as itís dry to minimize feedback. This of course is minimized by the use of IEMís but most bands we see are so equipped.

I would be more concerned if he was using a mid or entry level IEM system. No faster way to deafen someone given the proximity of the driver to the eardrum if the built in limiting does not clamp the signal in case of trouble.
In an open air system as I describe the artist can move away from the sourceÖ
Old 07-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Nevermind. I'm thinking of something else. Do what you need to do.