DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Default electronic practice kit

One of the most frustrating things in my entire 28 year career of playing is not being able to practice on my kit when I want. I would watch guitar players go nuts and not make a sound! Over the years, I've worked with a multitude of different practice kits. I've had various versions of REMO practice kits. I also own several HQ practice pads. I now have my old kit in the basement with an HQ pad on each drum.

So, after all these years of not being able to play on my REAL kit I'm exploring the option of buying an electronic kit for mostly practice purposes. I have a few models in mind but I wanted to seek the advice of everyone here. Some of you may have been through this exact same process and have some experience and tips to share!

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) I want to spend around $500 to $700

2) I'm looking for rubber pads in lieu of the mesh V-drum types. (I played those in a studio and didn't care for them!).

3) I'm looking for something that can take a beating for both electronic pads and cymbals.

I'm not too interested in the variety of sounds. If the kit comes with some basics kits that sound good, I'll be happy. For once, I would like to hear a real kit when I strike the drum!

Here's something I was thinking about. The reviews are ok. Anybody use this or do you have any other products that you think would be better?

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ku=620364#used
Old 07-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: electronic practice kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum_enthusiast View Post
One of the most frustrating things in my entire 28 year career of playing is not being able to practice on my kit when I want. I would watch guitar players go nuts and not make a sound! Over the years, I've worked with a multitude of different practice kits. I've had various versions of REMO practice kits. I also own several HQ practice pads. I now have my old kit in the basement with an HQ pad on each drum.

So, after all these years of not being able to play on my REAL kit I'm exploring the option of buying an electronic kit for mostly practice purposes. I have a few models in mind but I wanted to seek the advice of everyone here. Some of you may have been through this exact same process and have some experience and tips to share!

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) I want to spend around $500 to $700

2) I'm looking for rubber pads in lieu of the mesh V-drum types. (I played those in a studio and didn't care for them!).

3) I'm looking for something that can take a beating for both electronic pads and cymbals.

I'm not too interested in the variety of sounds. If the kit comes with some basics kits that sound good, I'll be happy. For once, I would like to hear a real kit when I strike the drum!

Here's something I was thinking about. The reviews are ok. Anybody use this or do you have any other products that you think would be better?

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ku=620364#used
If you want new get a DTXplorer...it's a simple kit but has good sounds...if used is Ok..look for a DTXpress III or IV...they're a step up from the DTXplorer.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:16 AM

I have the Alesis DM10 Studio electronic kit. I wasnt crazy about any of the pre-set kits, but could build my own. The library of instruments were really good, plus the fine tuning adjustments made it actually sound very good. Long story short, I believe you would be happy with an Alesis kit.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

Have you tried the Roland V Drums Lite kit?
I kind of like them. I have played them a lot in a music store that I frequent.
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...Kit?sku=449781
Old 07-12-2010, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

I have a Roland HD-1 that I use in my apartment. The Hd-1 gives you a basic tool to work with for practice(could be use for a gig). Very quiet.
Again the Hd-1 provides you several basic drum sounds...but is perfect for me for daily practice where volume must be low! I gig and play on 4 or 5 acoustical kits a week.
I use this and a practice pad for daily practice routines and devlopment of drum parts.
Denis
Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 AM

I have a roland TD3 kit. It's quite good really I even gigged it once for a house party. Should be able to dig up a used one cheap. Does have a mesh snare though. But I like it.