DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Head Questions with no end...

Default Single ply heads

Hi everyone glad to be part of the Drumworld Disscusion family. I have a Tama Starclassic Performer Birch Kit. I recently tried an Attack 1ply medium coated head on my 12inch tom and it sounded good maybe a little bright.I have always used a 2ply head and wanted to try something different.Should I try a different 1ply head (Remo,Aquarian) or stick with the 2ply's. Thanks LedFoot65
Old 07-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Single ply heads

If it sounded good to you... definitely try them out. No reason to stick with something else if you liked something new.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 AM

Thanks for the advice.Just didn't know if a single ply head should be on a birch kit. Maybe I'm just not used to hearing a higher pitch from my toms (I don't like to muffle my toms moongel,rings etc.).Birch drums seem to be brighter than maple. Has anyone out there used a 1ply head on a birch kit?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Gold Member

I've used Evans Strata 1000's on my birch kit, and I'm currently using Aquarian Modern Vintage on there right now, and I think my toms have never sounded better.

I've almost always preferred two-ply heads in the past but my birch drums sound best with thinner 1.6mm hoops and single-ply heads.

Since I just upgraded from an all maple kit and I've tried the same heads on both kits I can say I don't feel like my birch toms are brighter than my previous maple kit. If anything just the opposite. The biggest reason I switched from maple to birch was the overly aggressive attack and abundance of higher overtones on my maple kit.

But that's just my kit, I have no doubt different drums (and drummers) would tell a completely different story. In the end I think there are no rules when it comes to pairing certain kinds of heads with drums of a certain kind of wood, and you should try a few different things for yourself on your kit to see what sounds best.

I have no personal experience with Attack heads, but from what I've seen comparing Evans, Remo, and Aquarian there is enough difference in sound between each brand's version of essentially the same head to know that just because one brand is too bright/dark/mellow/lively/etc doesn't mean you'll get the same thing out of another. It may not be the sound of single-ply heads that are too bright to your ears, it may just be that particular brand.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

You know, back in the late '80s, I had regular frosty Ambassadors on my Yamaha Recording Custom kit. Sounded great. When I had a DW maple kit, I tried double-ply pinstripes once, that sounded great too. Same thing with some of the mystery-wood kits I've owned through the years too. I'd put any kind of head on there, and they'd sound good.

I think the marketing rhetoric of the "birch vs maple" and it's related head choice dogma is rearing it's ugly head. If you try something and it works, then it works! In fact, I think it says something about your capability as a drummer that you should be able to take any head and any drum and make the drum sound good. There are no rules about what you should use on a particular drum.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:17 PM

Hey gang thanks for the advice I think I should stop over thinking. I guess I was always told birch is brighter and I should always go 2ply but I'm going the 1ply route on rest of the kit and test driving it. I'll keep you guy's posted Thanks again.