DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

Default EMAD vs SuperKick

I know there's another thread about bass head comparisons but i wanted to hone in on these two in particular.

As you can guess, i'd prefer a short, punchy sounding bass drum.

Now, my best guess is that the EMAD I is a single ply head and EMAD II is a double ply, and possibly the same for the SuperKick 1 and 2? Correct me if i'm wrong but i want to get the low-down on both these heads.

And so, how do each of the 4 heads do in terms of sound and durability? I've heard the plastic sleeve on the EMAD heads comes off quite easily, not very good when i want to keep that foam there all the time for regular, hard-hitting practice at home.

Last question. The foam ring on the EMAD comes in two sizes, so obviously you can detach and reattach them willy nilly. Is this the same for the SuperKick heads or are the foam rings fixed in them?

xoxo
Old 07-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: EMAD vs SuperKick

I have used both. I loved the sound that the Emad single ply head gave my drums (22x16 Yamaha maple absolute and my 22x17 Yamaha oak custom) I used the thinner ring. It gave me just enough muffling. I used a SK2 on a set of Pearl Masters maple with nothing inside the drum and it sounded great. When I tried the SK2 on my Yamaha's I was not pleased!!! The rings on the Emads are a concern, all mine eventually cracked. So with that being said I am playing Remo PS 3. All around great heads. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info, man. What's your verdict on the SuperKick 1 or 2?
xoxo
Old 07-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

It's really a personal choice. What sounds good for one does not work for another. What sound are you trying to achieve? For me the Remo PS3 with the Evans pad inside works out very nice. On the Yamaha SK1 was OK, to my ears they seem a bit dryer, if that makes any sense? I like a nice resonance and low end on my kick.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Played sk1's for a decade and they held up great. Switched a year or so ago ps3, much happier with the sound little more open but still controlled. The cool thing is if I want to dampen that ps3 for any reason all i have to do is take the head off and put a piece of felt between the shell and the head. Much more versatile doing it that way than buying premuffled.

I will echo the concerns on the emad plastic ring. Put one on a kit at church to try it, sounded ok but that ring cracked before the head was worn out
Old 07-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Gold Member

Just a general note, the 2-ply versions (EMAD-2 and SK-2) are significantly softer (i.e., produce less volume) than the one-ply versions. To my ear the SKs are softer than the EMADs.

Both are softer than heads without the muffling doodads, worth considering if you ever play out unmiked.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:46 PM

i was thinking about a emad, and we play 90% of the time unmiked, so the 1 ply would be better, is that what you are saying
Old 07-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrier1 View Post
i was thinking about a emad, and we play 90% of the time unmiked, so the 1 ply would be better, is that what you are saying
Yes a single ply would better for unmicd and a head that isn't premuffled will project better like a ps3 or similar from evans
Old 07-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

I so far haven't played a gig without at least one mic. And that one mic was actually on the kick. And 99.9% of the time my kit never leaves my house. So bearing that in mind the 2 ply version wouldn't be too much trouble to work with anyway and i don't like a kick head that feels rock hard as well. I've tried an EMAD I at music college, i assume it was the single ply version because, it was very heavy-feeling head.

But yeah. As i said, i haven't played a gig where i'm un miced and have to bring my kit. So as a personal thing, if i go with the EMAD it'd be the 2 ply version.

Unless the SuperKick is better in some way that hasn't been mentioned. Since most of the focus so far has been on the EMAD.
xoxo
Old 07-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

The foam ring on the EMAD comes in two sizes, so obviously you can detach and reattach them willy nilly. Is this the same for the SuperKick heads or are the foam rings fixed in them?

Felt on SUPERKICK's are glued on.

If you like SUPERKICK but want a little more dampening, you'll love IMPACT.

IMPACT is the same as SUPERKICK only the felt ring is wider.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeniScott View Post
I so far haven't played a gig without at least one mic. And that one mic was actually on the kick. And 99.9% of the time my kit never leaves my house. So bearing that in mind the 2 ply version wouldn't be too much trouble to work with anyway and i don't like a kick head that feels rock hard as well. I've tried an EMAD I at music college, i assume it was the single ply version because, it was very heavy-feeling head.

But yeah. As i said, i haven't played a gig where i'm un miced and have to bring my kit. So as a personal thing, if i go with the EMAD it'd be the 2 ply version.

Unless the SuperKick is better in some way that hasn't been mentioned. Since most of the focus so far has been on the EMAD.
xoxo

To me I've never thought a head felt heavy per se. Two ply or single allot of the feel has to do with how it's tuned and unless the kit you tried had the exact same pedal tuned exactly like the one on your own kit it's not a realistic comparison.

I personally prefer the tone a single ply gives.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
To me I've never thought a head felt heavy per se
Heavy was the wrong word. I'll go back to rock-hard again. It wasn't necessarily the feel or sound that was heavy but it was just a hard feeling head that was either due to head itself with the dampening etc, or it may have been tuned quite high. Although it didn't sound very highly tuned to my ear or the other guy in the room.

xoxo