DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-28-2006, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Jimmy Chamberlin

Well I love both The Smashing Pumpkins and his later bands, such as the Jimmy Chamberlin Complex. I love the song Life Begins Again and Streetcrawler. Jimmy Chamberlin was such a big influence in my playing so I got his signature snare. if someone want pics just PM me and I'll give you some! Jimmy ROCK!!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:05 PM

http://youtube.com/profile?user=squashingpumpkins
Old 10-11-2006, 06:19 PM

JC is one of my favorite rock drummers ever.

I haven't heard anything more recent than the melon-collie album, but that, siamese dream, and gish are quite an impressive body of work alone, IMO.

It's funny, but he's one of those guys that, to my ear, has had such a huuuuge influence on a lot of popular music even though he's not talked about that much. I love how he phrases and applies fills, they always seem to affect the song, not just take up space. I love his snare playing and use of rimshots. He really knows how to kick a song in the butt when need be.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:35 PM

Yes. Everyone here should hear Tristessa by the pumpkins. Chocolate drumming.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:14 AM

One of my favorite drummers, definitely in my top 5. Listening to him really opened me up to new ideas. I haven't seen him live yet, but I will do so the first chance I get. Thanks to Gish06 for attaching that interview.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch Kaboodle
Yes. Everyone here should hear Tristessa by the pumpkins. Chocolate drumming.

Ive been trying to get hold of a life in 95 bootleg dvd. That was a drumming masterclass on the Melancollie tour. Check out Sloth on youtube-really cool.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasHakkesBrain
Ive been trying to get hold of a life in 95 bootleg dvd. That was a drumming masterclass on the Melancollie tour. Check out Sloth on youtube-really cool.
Have you seen the gig from the Rockpalast in Germany '96? Worth a look.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:53 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

I saw Jimmy with the SPs a couple of weeks before the incident that got him booted. He's a great drummer. Also worthy of mention: the Tricky song "Pumpkin" which samples Jimmy...
Old 10-12-2006, 05:20 PM

...yeah, finn, I also saw him (in philadelphia) just a few weeks before that all went down. I think they had some technical problems during that show, but they were really good none the less.

Anyway, another thing I always thought was cool was the unconventional tom setup he used.

I messed with that and similar stuff before I moved on to primarily a 4pc drumset and you can do some neat things -especially in terms of splitting the hands on fills.

One cool, very JC gish-esque fill that utilizes this setup is a quick, 16th note descending, one-hit-per-drum fill. His setup of (going from left to right) largest rack tom, smallest rack tom, medium rack tom, floor tom ...etc makes this type of fill all alternating strokes and more easy to play smoothly at fast tempos with a sticking of: flam (-snare) L(Small tom -middle position) R(medium tom -far right) L(Largest mounted tom -far left) R(Crash cymbal/bass drum).

He did a lot of variations of this too -it's fun suff!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by INXSDRUMTECH
i actually was the drumtech on that session. a jimmy c. signature snare was my bonus. it rules.
Sounds like a great gig! Can you let us in on any head choices, tuning tricks used? I'd really LOVE to replicate that sound, and buying the snare would be a good start.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:58 PM

Jimmy rules, he's number 2 in my favourite drummers list. The singer in my band told me i reminded him of jimmy when we first started, and i couldn't have asked for a better compliment, of course i suck bad compared to jimmy but i guess his influence shines through....
Old 11-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Pioneer Member

jimmy chamberlin has become my main influence as a drummer. although i can certainly appreciate studio greats like gadd, weckl, colauita, freese, etc. it is his playing that has made the biggest difference. it is sometimes hard to split a pumpkins drum chart into verse, chorus, verse etc. he plays organically, dynamically and musically.
basically, jimmy rocks where it matters.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:17 PM

Saw the Pumpkins tuesday night in Asheville, and Jimmy was spot on. Incredible chops and incredibly precise.

I was absolutely blown. Tonight, Tonight - oh lawd - chills down my spine

The cat is amazing.

You can see the setlist on my BLOG and at Smasheville.com

GMS/RMV + Meinl + Vic Firth = My Setup
SILVERMUSICONLINE = My Band
Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 AM

i just got their new album, zeitgeist and i think he plays pretty well there
Old 08-04-2007, 01:02 PM

I've been a big jimmy fan since siamese dream- he's one of the few guys out there who you can tell his drumming even if you've never heard the song before. Also one of the few guys to release a solo album that I can listen to front to back and not get bored. I was one of the lucky few who saw the Complex at the Mercy Lounge in Nashville- great show.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Pioneer Member

I've seen the Pumpkins one month ago! Even if I don't like being a crazy fan, i was pretty moved to finally see jimmy chamberlin on stage as the whole band. He has an intense presence in the band, his drumset sounds perfect, warm and deep, and the man has such a tasteful playing, I felt like he was leading a lot!
Incubus were playing before and honestly Jose Pasillas is a good drummer but sounded so small, not to say rediculous compared to Jimmy (maybe it was the PDP's).
He is one drummer that pushed me to learn more about what I could really get out of my drums when I was younger. I used to listen ritually Geek USA before each one of drumming lessons.

https://soundcloud.com/#sitas-master
Old 09-15-2007, 02:51 AM

Jimmys a great drummer. He has a sound & feel unlike many other rock drummers out there. He has a sensitive hard touch. What I mean by that is he can bash the hell out of the skins, but really sensitive... Dont know what other way to explain it, listen to Today, and you will see what I mean....
He definitly plays to the song though....... thats for sure, and thats what I respect about a drummer like him.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:27 AM

Jimmy and Jeremy Taggart ( Our Lady Peace) really educated me on how to mix jazz style drumming with rock. Anyways, enough about Jeremy, this is a Jimmy topic. Jimmy's Yamaha kit sounds amazing (especially his signature snare drum) sounds great. I was really impressed with the drumming on Doomsday Clock off of the new album. Long live Jimmy's influence and btw the Smashing Pumkins rule.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:55 AM

Jimmy is my number one influence. I learned to play drums listening to Siamese Dream. And his work on Zeitgeist was just beautiful. I've seen him play four times with the Pumpkins and I'm seeing him again on Tuesday. I'm quite excited.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

I was never a huge SP fan in high school, when they first hit the mainstream, but I have learned to like a lot of their music. Zeitgeist is, in my opinion, their finest work by far. Jimmy described his playing on that album as "overplaying" but I disagree...I think he nailed it just right.

I really respect him as a drummer and musician after both listening to Zeitgeist and reading his article in last month's Modern Drummer...his attitude is nearly the same as mine, as far as tuning the drums and recording them "wide open". I respect that organic approach...I think he said something to the effect that their fans "were ready with something with some balls on it..." Indeed!

United States is probably my favorite track on the new album.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I was never a huge SP fan in high school, when they first hit the mainstream, but I have learned to like a lot of their music. Zeitgeist is, in my opinion, their finest work by far. Jimmy described his playing on that album as "overplaying" but I disagree...I think he nailed it just right.

I really respect him as a drummer and musician after both listening to Zeitgeist and reading his article in last month's Modern Drummer...his attitude is nearly the same as mine, as far as tuning the drums and recording them "wide open". I respect that organic approach...I think he said something to the effect that their fans "were ready with something with some balls on it..." Indeed!

United States is probably my favorite track on the new album.
Zeitgeist has been getting some frequent playtime for me too. I'm a big fan and I agree about the 'overplaying', although "For God and Country" is great and about as basic as a drum track gets.
'United States' is a good song, but I mostly like it because of the tribal drums feel.
Probably my favourite Pumpkins record at the moment, certainly a rival for Mellon Collie at least.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
'United States' is a good song, but I mostly like it because of the tribal drums feel.
Probably my favourite Pumpkins record at the moment, certainly a rival for Mellon Collie at least.
I love the tom ostinato he's got going through most of the song. My favorite part, more so than the tom beat, is the slow breakdown toward the end of the tune...man that's kickass.

The opening track is great too, Doomsday Clock....just good rock n' roll.

His signature snare on this album just sounds incredible. It's given me a whole new appreciate for metal snares, which I don't own or play.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Jimmy described his playing on that album as "overplaying" but I disagree...I think he nailed it just right.

I'd agree, Billy Corgan did too much singing too.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:16 AM
nhzoso

I like the SP and have heard of Jimmy Chamberlain but never bought a CD or anything just stuff I heard on the radio but after reading the MD interview I am very intrigued. I will definetly be buying the new SP album this week.

I thought I was the only drummer (newbie) who found solo's to be boring after about 2 minutes no matter who was playing them. I actually thought to myself, if I feel like that about solo's how can I ever be a decent drummer and that maybe my heart was not in it enough to be good. Then Jimmy mentions how he hates them and finds them boring..Wow to admit that and be a respected pro is something..That was about the most honest interview I have ever read.

If you have not read it yet I highly recommend it. I love the fact that he refuses to use a click track, insists on the whole band being there when recording and not playing over other members recorded parts.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:14 PM
ihatesticktricks

Quote:
I love the tom ostinato he's got going through most of the song. My favorite part, more so than the tom beat, is the slow breakdown toward the end of the tune...man that's kickass.

The opening track is great too, Doomsday Clock....just good rock n' roll.

His signature snare on this album just sounds incredible. It's given me a whole new appreciate for metal snares, which I don't own or play.
wasn't lars ulrich's a shocker, horrible
Old 05-12-2008, 12:17 PM
ihatesticktricks

definatly one of the best alternative rock drummers, maybe second to matt cameron.

I HATE THE DOUBLE KICK. definatly the worst invention for a drum kit, chamberlin, gadd, weckl, colauita (sorry i mentioned jimmy with those gods) dont use them and they are kick ass drummers, with pure skill.

jimmy changed the way i play the drums.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatesticktricks View Post
definatly one of the best alternative rock drummers, maybe second to matt cameron.

I HATE THE DOUBLE KICK. definatly the worst invention for a drum kit, chamberlin, gadd, weckl, colauita (sorry i mentioned jimmy with those gods) dont use them and they are kick ass drummers, with pure skill.

jimmy changed the way i play the drums.
I also loath the double kick. But I think it's safe to add Jimmy Chamberlin to any list of "Drum Gods".
Old 05-13-2008, 05:25 PM

I was so sad when Jimmy got booted out of the Smashing Pumpkins. The band's dynamic was destroyed as far as I was concerned and I knew their days were numbered.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:55 PM

I've been a big fan of his for years. 'Gish' is one of my favorite albums of all time. Just the opening part of 'I Am One' just yells out to you that this guy is going to be good. Great sound and single stroke rolls.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:56 AM

RIP Jimmy Chamberlin

on the positive side, you can now audition for the Smashing Pumpkins!

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/page...on-information
Old 04-01-2009, 08:21 AM

RIP? Whoa! You just freaked me out with that.

He's not dead, just left the pumpkins. Don't throw those RIPs around so quick!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:44 AM

Yeah, ditto on that. Sheesh.

From his website:

Quote:
March 24, 2009 at 07:54 - Posted by jcc

By now you have heard the news of my departure from the Smashing Pumpkins. I will say, without going into any unnecessary details that this represents a positive move forward for me. I can no longer commit all of my energy into something that I donít fully possess. I wonít pretend Iím into something Iím not. I wonít do it to myself, you the fan, or my former partner. I canít just, ďCash the checkĒ so to speak. Music is my life. It is sacred. It deserves the highest commitment at every level and the Pumpkins are certainly no different. Iím sorry but it really IS that simple. There is no drama, bad blood, or anything else but a full commitment to music. My best goes out to Billy and Iím glad he has chosen to continue under the name. It is his right. I will continue to make music with the Jimmy Chamberlin Complex as well as pursuing other musical interests. I feel that I have a long way to go and a lot to give. Thanks to everyone for your kind words and support through all of this. I am constantly humbled by all of you! It is an honor and a privilege to play music for a living and I donít take it for granted not even for a second.

Stay tunedÖÖ. JC
Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

JC was a huge influence on my drumming in the early days. I remember listening (and playing along) with Silver**** for hours on end.

Only saw them once in '94 @ Lolla.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

jimmy was a big influence on my playing as well. the left foot stuff that he does on the hats really got into my playing in a big way and is still there.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:04 PM

Righteous drummer. I love this guys playing. He has always been inspiring to me on the kit. I have always been a pumpkins fan, but when Jimmy left the band, I decided that Billy Corgan must be as much of an egomaniac as people have always said. There is no Pumpkins w/o Jimmy. Don't believe me? Go listen to Siamese Dream. Then listen to Adore. That should explain everything.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Silver Member

Jimmy's jazz flavor is bar-none, imo. Listening to and practicing to the pumpkins has pushed me as a drummer to really focus on my accents, my fills, and keeping the hi-hat moving constantly as a time-keeper and as extra percussion. Any of those songs aren't just songs to jam to; you can study those songs and really learn from them. There's rarely an uninteresting moment in any of Jimmy's catalogue, and I can remember even as a teenager being able to pick out my favorite fills from "Bodies" and "I Am One", not even knowing the first thing about drums.

Still can't figure Jellybelly out, keeping that hi-hat in perfect time while keeping that beat full-force. And yet he can make the drums sound so powerful, yet keeping the utmost finesse and snare rolls that are so polite and authoritative.

My second influence is Matt Cameron but even Matt doesn't come close to the finesse and powerhouse drumming that JC brings forth. And don't even get me started on the Complex ^ _ ^
Old 06-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Rebel

Another great example of Jimmy Chamberlin performance is "The Everlasting Gaze", powerful groove - snare rolls - dynamic hi-hat and ride.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Bump for the love of this man.

What a creative genius behind the kit. He just wins everywhere, whether it's drum sound or technique or speed or rhythm or mood...

hands down my favorite drummer. I haven't found one that tops him.

Here's some links of a recent clinic he did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlDggUqWK3M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwq9R...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQNCP...eature=related
Old 07-03-2010, 03:32 PM

I love his take on Tony Williams' 'Fred'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnLaWXBLJQA
Old 07-03-2010, 06:55 PM

Would have been cool to see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc_m43daJJI

make it on to the Jimmy Chamberlin Complex record.