DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 07-02-2010, 02:39 AM

Default what are your hobbies (legal ones ) !

larrys vintage car thread got me to thinking . what are some of your hobbies outside of drums ?
for me it has been marine fish tanks , more precisely reef tanks . the current tank is a 600 gallon one , but as of saturday it willbe shut down .
i'm saddened to have to do it but things change and the time to properly maintain it is no longer there . it will have one nice side effect - lower power bill ! 1000 + watts of lighting , multiple pumps pushing nearly 20, 000 gallons an hour , plus all the other electronics really add up fast .
but this also opens up the door to a new hobby . a 600 gallon low tech / low cost terrarium to house dart frogs !
one of the down sides of a fish tank is having someone you trust take care of it while your on vacation . the only person i trusted will be moving to thailand next year , so i also had to consider that also . with the terrarium i'm good to go !
it will also give me more time to help jennifer with her practices and do other things together .
so here are some pics of one hobby that will end , and soon some pics of the new hobby !
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2010, 04:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: what are your hobbies (legal ones ) !

I also had a marine aquarium for many years.
From about 1987 until 1997.
I also had Cockatoos and Parakeets back then.
I don't have pets now.
I guess that I got tired of all of the work to keep them.

I do some deer hunting. I may stop that next fall also.
As I have gotten older I don't have the will to kill anymore.
I still love venison though!

Drumming is my hobby right now.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

All of my hobbies are jobs now...playing music, fixing up music gear, magic, and carpentry.

What do I do in my spare time now? Surf the web and read...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

I'm like caddywumpus - my hobbies became jobs. Got interested in photography about 10 years ago and now it's a semi-thriving portrait business!

Making music is a hobby until a gig comes through too. Mountain biking when I can.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

I like watching films, reading books, and do some sports or be in nature, especially in the mountains.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Landscaping and historical build renovation are my two main hobbies/obsessions. The renovation is more out of necessity. The landscaping is the fun bit (but a huge amount of work). The scheme pictured below represents 4 years work and thousands of man hours worked. Apart from some machine & occasional driver hire, everything is the work of myself & my long suffering wife, Yvonne. The oak framed house was completely stripped to the shell, then built back up. The garage was renovated with drum loft over. The gardens (about 1.5 acres) were 8ft high in brambles & other stuff. We shifted 8,000 tonnes of earth, built an 8ft earth retaining rockery with waterfall from 360 1-3 tonne boulders, planted 190 trees, 7,000 plants, etc, etc. Still got the drive to finish though. Pictures taken in spring, so everything is so much bigger & greener now. Hope you enjoy looking at the work of someone who never rests.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2010, 10:33 AM

Wow KIS, incredible place, all I have is a fire escape with an olive tree in a pot. Which I suspect probably won't help in the event of a fire!

Looking back over your work must be very satisfying experience, that place is a great reflection on you, really shows what you can achieve with some dedication and hardwork.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Wow KIS, incredible place, all I have is a fire escape with an olive tree in a pot. Which I suspect probably won't help in the event of a fire!

Looking back over your work must be very satisfying experience, that place is a great reflection on you, really shows what you can achieve with some dedication and hardwork.
Thanks Neil. That's one more olive tree than I started with! We've done 4 ground up renovations & landscaping. There's no way we could ever afford to get people in to do this stuff. Each project is literally 10's of thousands of man hours work. I've worked up to this by buying wrecks in lovely locations, doing the work, then selling for a profit & moving on to the next project. Breaks my heart every time I sell one of these life labours of love. Lucky for me, there's a bunch of people out there who are happy to pay a premium for our finished work. We won't be selling this one (our home) for a long time, unless-------
Old 07-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Really awesome, KIS! I'd love to live in that house in that environment! Maybe just put a few mountains near the place, and I'm happy :). And I'd take my wife with me of course ;).
Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 PM

Hmmm well i because i live so close to the sea, one of my main passions is kayaking, however i recently sold my boat so i could afford a cymbal, as i wasn't using it so much :/ I loved that boat dearly, had some good times in it :'(

Hobbies now are mainly drumming and this summer will involve painting large chunks of the house for some extra cash, obviously towards a new crash ;)

Also, What a fantastic location KIS! :D Your house looks exactly like the something out of the old days, but my god is it stylish :] Can tell you put many long hard hours work in on that.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:52 PM

KIS, that place looks amazing.

Aside from drumming, I listen to a ton of music ranging from soft jazz to death metal, watch a ton of movies and play guitar and bass.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:00 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Good God Man! Way to go! You live on an estate!

Andy that's just spectacular, it must bring you so much joy to sit among all that. I can't believe you did all that yourself. It's truly magnificent. What do you have, like your own construction company or something? Or did Bob help you?
Old 07-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Gold Member

All my "hobbies" are illegal, so if I told you, IŽd have to "get rid" of you.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

Wow Andy, living in a small rented one-bedroom flat I can scarcely believe your lifestyle. Stunning grounds - well done! I think I will have to call you "Sir" from now on. Well done, Sir Andrew of the Stately Home!

Most here probably already know my main other hobby ... http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=59618

I used to be keen on digital art but shifted to cartoons because my art tended to look cartoonish anyway:

I used to enjoy creating music with sequencers but the guitarist in my band borrowed all my gear and disappeared interstate before expanding on his habit portfolio and hocking it all off :(

For some strange reason I have also always keen on statistics (probably some ADHD / Asperger-related mental deformity) and that's now become my livelihood.

Strangely enough, in recent years, I find myself with zero illegal hobbies for the first time in my life. Note to self ... Must Lift My Game ...
Old 07-03-2010, 02:38 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Andy tell me you didn't carve that tree carving, no way..
Old 07-03-2010, 02:45 AM

wow , beautiful andy ! and yeah the very first thing i noticed was the carving guarding the "gates " .
polly - great art work !
Old 07-03-2010, 03:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Andy tell me you didn't carve that tree carving, no way..
Larry, Sir Andrew posted that earlier. He had a sculptor friend do it, if I remember correctly. It's glorious. Oh, and the tree was already dead so it was brilliant use of something that would otherwise be wasted.

.... but it was still Sir Andrew's idea to do it.

Thanks Gwaco :)

I won't overdo this ... just one more for a laugh ... it's called "Trouble Afoot" ...

Also enjoy tennis and ping pong.

Last edited by Pollyanna; 07-03-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:15 AM
Platinum Member

I'm a semi avid airsofter. My friends and I go every sunday. Its a great way to just get out and be active. I also enjoy hockey. I played for 8 years and still love watching it. Recently I have really wanted to get into mountain biking. Well more like trails and such. Plus I'll be going to college in Chicago so I think a bike would be a pretty good investment. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 07-03-2010, 04:13 AM

oh now that one is just plain weird polly ! throw in some atheletes foot and some buns and you have horror movie characters ..
Old 07-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I can't believe you did all that yourself. It's truly magnificent. What do you have, like your own construction company or something? Or did Bob help you?
No Larry, seriously, I did that all myself, with great support from my long suffering wife. Literally the only exceptions are; the dragon that was carved by a wood sculpture friend, a local guy hired as driver for the digger & telehandler, and another friend who helped with some of the electrical work and moving rocks for a week. So 99% my own work. That's not just the grounds, but the house from the oak frame up too, and the other structures. I'm very good at building roof structures now! Literally every evening, every weekend, & all holiday time from work for 4 years.

I bought the place 3 days before Christmas for a very cheap price. It was in a real mess, but I was still lucky to secure the deal. These photos are taken after 2 years of work already completed on the buildings. Anyhow, the dragon is called Cedric. Here's some mug shots of him. He's all black now and looks better for it. A few build shots too, including my behind when building the waterfall. I renovated the house & buildings before doing the landscaping.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Wow Andy, living in a small rented one-bedroom flat I can scarcely believe your lifestyle. Stunning grounds - well done! I think I will have to call you "Sir" from now on. Well done, Sir Andrew of the Stately Home!

Most here probably already know my main other hobby ... http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=59618

I used to be keen on digital art but shifted to cartoons because my art tended to look cartoonish anyway:

I used to enjoy creating music with sequencers but the guitarist in my band borrowed all my gear and disappeared interstate before expanding on his habit portfolio and hocking it all off :(

For some strange reason I have also always keen on statistics (probably some ADHD / Asperger-related mental deformity) and that's now become my livelihood.

Strangely enough, in recent years, I find myself with zero illegal hobbies for the first time in my life. Note to self ... Must Lift My Game ...
Sir Andrew, no way! That's all hard work right there, including renovating the house from the frame up. It's not a money thing. There's no way I could afford the finished item on the open market. Anyhow, sirs never do the work themselves!

More to the point, I love this piece of your art, it's stunning. Really, I like everything about it. Not liking the foot thing though. Yuk! Got to admire the skill in that, just wouldn't have it on my wall.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Sir ... Andy? :) "Trouble Afoot" isn't a hanging piece. I don't think it's for anything functional, really :) It's just something that came to mind that seemed like fun. Foot poses were by an ex b/f and then he was on the other side of the camera for my face poses (which may explain why the pic is so ugly :)

The nice piece is called "The Outsider". An adaptation of it was used for an annual report cover a few years ago. I think a print of is hanging in an office in an outer CBD as well.

gwaco, I consider "weird" to be a compliment. Thank you :) One of the great things about this forum is that almost everyone has at least one passionate interest. Apart from the pure pleasure of it, I think being passionately interested in things is great for people in a holistic sense.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Sir ... Andy? :) .
I love "The Outsider". Really great vibrant colours, and captures the urban scene superbly.

Oh, BTW, please dump the sir stuff. I was born in an orphanage on the Liverpool dock road, then adopted into a family that existed just above the bread line. Hardly sir territory.
Anyhow, you missed the photo of my crouched butt whilst laying stones below. Sirs don't do that either.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
please dump the sir stuff ... you missed the photo of my crouched butt whilst laying stones below. Sirs don't do that either.
Andy, sorry about the sir ... crack :)